Ear Bags!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
tokyogasmask
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:29 pm
Country:
Location: Japan

Ear Bags!

Postby tokyogasmask » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:35 pm

So a body check of my new IJ shows she has the "ear bags" in her ears.

I think she has recently shed, as there were extra toes on one of her feet that i removed. (skin only)

Do these sacks need to come out?
She has them in both ears and they look like clear bags of air.

I have read about removing them, but I want to double check that I should.
I'm not sure if I should remove them when they are little airbags (like now) or do they pop then I remove them?
User avatar
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer
Posts: 1889
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 am
Country:
Location: Western Australia

Postby Nae » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:10 pm

Heres a previous thread that should be of immense help -

http://bluetongueskinks.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18897

As you can see, there are some photos posted by Susann that show a normal, healthy ear. As you describe the bags as looking like bags of air, then it is most likely the ear drum you are looking at. Do not remove these, as that can cause serious damage :D

Ive been meaning to get photos actually of a bluey with stuck ear shed, as it is quite common for wild ones~
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:11 pm

Exactly what Nae said. If you're not 100% positive it's shed, leave it alone and the skink will deal with it.
tokyogasmask
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:29 pm
Country:
Location: Japan

Postby tokyogasmask » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:50 pm

Brilliant stuff!
I asked here as I had a feeling it was a normal ear, after reading that link that has confirmed it!

Thanks guys/gals!
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:00 pm

Good of you to ask first! :thumbs:
User avatar
Zach
Grand Cicada
Grand Cicada
Posts: 7550
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:38 pm
Country:
Location: Orygun
Contact:

Postby Zach » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:08 am

Here is the video mentioned in the above link!

http://bluetongueskinks.net/scratch.wmv (thanks to Dragontears)

+ 2.2 Irian Jaya (Slurpy, Nona, Sassy, Cool Moe Dee)
+ 1.1 Eastern (Eugene, Enzo)
+ 1.2 Northern (Niko, Pearl, Peach)
+ 1.0 Tanimbar Island (TQ)
User avatar
phaemas
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am
Country:
Location: winnipeg,manitoba, canada

Postby phaemas » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:10 am

Leave it be unless like marvin had when I got him, 7 ear bags in one ear O_O and can not get them out on his own.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 229 guests