Page 1 of 3

Species and Length

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:08 pm
by Katrina
Just curious about what species everyone has and how long they are. Total length would be great, snout to vent would be a bonus.

Feel free to add pics if you want!

I know the caresheet gives guesstimate average lengths for some of the species, I'm wondering how close our skinks come to that. I know there are some monster Northerns out there - do Meraukes have them beat? How much do the different species and subspecies vary in length when full grown? Add sexes if known. If I get enough data maybe I'll do something in excel.

Thanks to all who contribute. Please make mention if your skink isn't full grown. :D

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:50 am
by Kurt
merauke... 21 inches long (still growing)

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:12 am
by nakerz_loves_bts
2 Eastern Males, Chopper total length at last measurement (in 2006 D: ) - 47cm, Grac total length at last measurement (again, in 2006) - 43cm. I have personally seen easterns in the wild easily 60cm, although it is rare.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:00 am
by Coomassie
Coomassie is a Northern and he is 21 inches

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:17 am
by Linnea
Litchie is a northern, 47 cm from snout to tailtip. ill go measure his tail tomorrow and edit this post.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:53 am
by StaceyLeigh
2 Northerns
Ember 14 1/2" ( almost 3 months old)
Thor 17" (5 months)

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:23 pm
by Anderous
Mearuke 21" also, dont know how old it is but does seem to be still growing

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:20 pm
by Nova
Image
3 and a half month old Northern
Bout 10"-10.5" snout to vent,
16.5" snout to tail?
Cloud likes to troll me by not standing still long enough to tell for sure. I'm hoping he gets pretty big though. =)

Marvin

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:30 pm
by phaemas
Male Irian jaya- 19 inch total!

Female Irian Jaya 19 inches
EDIT:
Adult Male Irian Jaya-20 inch total! I re-measured him and he grew a WHOLE INCH in five months!

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:48 am
by tiliqua38
Irian Jaya - 23.5 inches

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:13 pm
by Katrina
Anyone else?

I still need to measure all mine...

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:35 pm
by Spindown
I have to find my tape measure but i will add lengths of all mine when i find it, although my my youngest two are still growing since they are still young.

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:59 am
by sd reptiles
Irian Jaya ( maybe ) 62cm or 24.4 inches :D

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:06 am
by JR
Tanny, 41cm.

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:07 am
by Nae
This little guy, 18 inches :lol:

Image

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:23 pm
by ILoveMyMonsters
Northern girl - 3 months old and 11 1/4 inches and still growing. :D

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:59 am
by Katrina
I am having a hard time getting accurate measurements of these guys! Full grown means they shouldn't grow appreciably anymore - they are over 3ish years.

Callie - female Northern, full grown - 22"
Rollie - male Merauke, full grown - 24.5"
Kira - male Merauke, full grown - 23.5"

I'll add the others as a measure them - I have a good idea of their lengths but it is a ballpark, not very accurate!

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:44 pm
by JR
Katrina wrote:I am having a hard time getting accurate measurements of these guys! Full grown means they shouldn't grow appreciably anymore - they are over 3ish years.


I visited my tanny's breeder, and she said my skink's father was fully grown at age of 6 (six). So I don't believe 3-year old skinks are mature (if not overly fed...)

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:54 pm
by Katrina
JR wrote:
Katrina wrote:I am having a hard time getting accurate measurements of these guys! Full grown means they shouldn't grow appreciably anymore - they are over 3ish years.


I visited my tanny's breeder, and she said my skink's father was fully grown at age of 6 (six). So I don't believe 3-year old skinks are mature (if not overly fed...)


My understanding is that they will grow very slowly throughout their lives, but typically at anywhere from 1.5-4 years they will be done growing appreciably. So while it might change, it probably isn't something that will be noticeable for the degree of accuracy I'm using. I haven't heard age 6 before, that is interesting. If you can get more info on that or if anyone else has different info I'd love to hear it.

I said 3ish because I'm not sure of the age of several, all I know is that they are over 3ish (it wasn't meant to imply that they are 3 years old and done growing). Kira is 4, Callie I believe is about 6 and I have no idea on Rollie but he should be at least 3. I am not certain of the age, all I know is that they are at least 3 years old and given the lengths I don't think they will grow noticeably anymore. Will be interesting to see if they still do put length on. :)

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:37 pm
by lemon1
Northern 3 month old . He's 11.5 inches .