IF youve read my previous post, you probably know that I need to change the substrate in Ruckus' cage.
The Nurse told me to use Astro turf and have a bucket of stuff to burrow in, and the Vet said to use shreaded paper.
Now my concerns are the humidity. How well does shreaded paper keep humidity(probably not so good)
Should I use astro truf? or no?
What types of substrate are less dusty then coco husk, and he wont choke on it (Incase he tried to eat it)
He seems to like the shreaded paper, but im not sure what I should do.
Im open to all suggestions.
Another Substrate post
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- MissMeg
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 847
- Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:39 pm
- Country: Canada
- Location: Sooke,BC
- MissMeg
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 847
- Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:39 pm
- Country: Canada
- Location: Sooke,BC
Okay so I checked out the care sheet and it suggests a few things. I like the idea of a cigar humidifier. Does this work on most substrates?
Also It mentions aspen shavings. I have never tired this, but on the care sheet the vet gave me she blacked out something. I tired to read threw the black marker and I belive it says Pine shavings and aspen shavings. ... I understand why pine would be blacked out, but why aspen?
Also It mentions aspen shavings. I have never tired this, but on the care sheet the vet gave me she blacked out something. I tired to read threw the black marker and I belive it says Pine shavings and aspen shavings. ... I understand why pine would be blacked out, but why aspen?
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
MissMeg wrote:Okay so I checked out the care sheet and it suggests a few things. I like the idea of a cigar humidifier. Does this work on most substrates?
Also It mentions aspen shavings. I have never tired this, but on the care sheet the vet gave me she blacked out something. I tired to read threw the black marker and I belive it says Pine shavings and aspen shavings. ... I understand why pine would be blacked out, but why aspen?
I tried cigar humidifiers, but unless you have a fairly air-tight enclosure they don't do much. I found it was a waste of money for a reasonably ventilated enclosure.
Aspen would be pretty dry.
I honestly don't understand why the cocohusks aren't ok. If the vet didn't give you a specific reason then I would be inclined not to change it. A mulch of sorts would be good for humidity, but cypress still has small bits.
If you really think Ruckus is not well, then something sterile like paper towel would be good until he is better. If you are just changing the substrate because the vet didn't approve, then I wouldn't be so quick.

- MissMeg
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 847
- Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:39 pm
- Country: Canada
- Location: Sooke,BC
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
While I am not saying astro turf/indoor outdoor carpet is bad, my experience is most vets also recommend this as substrate simply due to the risk of impaction. While I understand impaction is a valid concern, I almost get the feeling that its not as common as everyone makes it out to be. So when vets get their minimal training and education in exotics, this issue is heavily talked about and one of the few things most vets know about reptile diseases and health. So when confronted with a reptile patient, they dont want to look ignorant to the client, so they talk like they know what they are talking about which is impaction (and MBD).
Please do not get me wrong. I appreciate veterinarians and their knowledge. I am not trying to bash them. I am just stating that from talking with vets, their training on nutrition and exotic animals is very limited.
Please do not get me wrong. I appreciate veterinarians and their knowledge. I am not trying to bash them. I am just stating that from talking with vets, their training on nutrition and exotic animals is very limited.
Brad
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
- Anderous
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 40
- Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: Gresham Oregon
I use astroturf like stuff, those cage liners made by Zilla, no little hoops to get toes stuck in. I like em, i just have two and throw one in the wash once a week and put the other one in there. I decided against particulate bedding after i got my skink and he was pooping aspen for a week. I dont find humidity to be a problem, but i do give him a bath when he is about to shed to help him out. I do have a lot of hides in there though, just to make him feel safe since he cant burrow anywhere. im pretty new at BTS but so far its working out fantastic
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves.
The three core values of American society: Lying, Cheating, and stealing.
The three core values of American society: Lying, Cheating, and stealing.
-
tiliqua38
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 145
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:59 am
- Country:
I use shredded paper and shredded newspaper from my shredder.
mixed breed - Cocoa RIP
shih tzu - Gizmo
Chihuahua - Marley
terrier/Chihuahua mix - Kendra
tortie cat - Angel RIP
black cat - Jake RIP
Irian Jaya BTS - Bubba
2 Leopard geckos - Bert and Ernie
Three toed/gulf coast integrade box turtle - Peanut
Three toed box turtle - Pebbles
shih tzu - Gizmo
Chihuahua - Marley
terrier/Chihuahua mix - Kendra
tortie cat - Angel RIP
black cat - Jake RIP
Irian Jaya BTS - Bubba
2 Leopard geckos - Bert and Ernie
Three toed/gulf coast integrade box turtle - Peanut
Three toed box turtle - Pebbles
- MissMeg
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 847
- Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:39 pm
- Country: Canada
- Location: Sooke,BC
Thats what im using now, but not newspaper. It can make your blueys hands stained with ink. THat might only be if its flat though not shredded. Its hard to make enough shredded paper lol.
I think my home is usless paper free. If you want to send me some letters so I can shread them it would be muchly appreciated lol (ijust kidd)
I think my home is usless paper free. If you want to send me some letters so I can shread them it would be muchly appreciated lol (ijust kidd)
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 227 guests
