Page 1 of 1

Slightly Concerned

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:52 pm
by Weather
Hey there everyone, I know it's been a while since I posted anything or even commented in a thread - been moving house and finishing university and I'm really not that talkative anyways.

Bill appears to be off his food. He's never really been "on" it as such, he's quite fussy and will refuse anything other than his favorites for weeks when it occurs to him to do so.
He was given some very nice, expensive cat food a month ago. He let it go dry before he ate it and really took his time. Usually he'll gobble down a cat food mix. I put it down to shedding and decided not to worry and maybe wait a bit longer before the next feed.
He did the same with the next half of that cat food just over a week later so I gave up on that. I offered some banana which he ate, but very slowly and not when I was looking.
I've since gone back to the different brand of cat food that I know he likes mixed with fruit and veggies. He's not eating straight away still, just picking at it. He's drinking and making it very clear whenever the water gets too low for him.
Could it be the stress of the move?
I'm worrying now because he's actually started to loose weight.
Thanks for reading

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:57 pm
by Fatal_S
Have you had a fecal check done on him? Stress + internal parasites can be a nasty combination.

If that comes back clean and there's no signs of mites or respiratory infection he may be thinking of brumating for the winter.

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:26 pm
by Katrina
Welcome back Weather!

I can't add much to what Mel has said. Do you have a scale to weight him?

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:44 am
by Jeff
Many of my skinks have periods during the year where they eat very little. It just seems to be a seasonal thing. I am used to it now, so I really don't think too much about it, and they always start eating normally again after a couple of months. I probably should record what happens with their weights during these times, but like I said, it is common and they always start eating again, so I have not. I NEVER try to give them less healthy food because I think they will be more likely to eat it. I give them their normal diet and let them decide whether or not they want to eat it.

Have you been weighing Bill? If he doesn't lose more than 10% of his body weight, then I really wouldn't get too concerned about it. If he does start to lose significant weight, then I would probably get him checked out by a vet.

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:36 am
by Coomassie
Have you checked your temps lately? If reptiles can't get warm enough to digest their food, they won't eat. Also, turning up the heat in his basking spot will help his immunosystem but don't turn up the heat too much!

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:57 am
by Weather
OK I shall start weighing him and look at getting a fecal check done after the weekend. Ashamed to say that I haven't really weighed him regularly up until this point, he's been an extremely easy reptile to keep.
Thanks guys

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:37 am
by EvoSolley
Weather wrote:OK I shall start weighing him and look at getting a fecal check done after the weekend. Ashamed to say that I haven't really weighed him regularly up until this point, he's been an extremely easy reptile to keep.
Thanks guys


Sounds like urs and my skink are going through the same phase. my skink has stopped eating as well and when he does decide to eat something, he just pecks at it. I think I will also get a fecal test done to see if there are any problems going on inside him that I need to be aware of. Let me know what u find out as well. I see ur in the uk and I'm in the us but maybe it is just a seasonal thing? My skink is still active daily and constantly wants to come out of his cage to roam like normal which is better than being non active. I'm just keeping an eye on him for now and hope its all just a phase
.