I have searched the forum, but I can't seem to find anything on canned silk worms. Are they alright to feed to a blue tongue skink as a staple? If not, is there any other canned food I can give them as a staple. As in, the only meat I would give them, other than occasional treats. I know people give their BTS cat and/or dog food, but is this alright as the main meat? I am skeptical...
Anyway, all answers or advice is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
-Carsyn
P.S. - For those of you who may have read my last post, I have decided to use coco fiber.
Food
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
CarsynBeth
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 32
- Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:59 pm
- Country:
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
I will let someone else answer the worms as a staple protein question, why it's good or bad, I will just say that I have never heard of anyone using them as the staple.
As far as cat- or dog food, yes, plenty safe to use as the staple protein. The fewer byproducts and additives the better.
But if you don't like that idea you can just use the same meat you cook for yourself, just cut off a piece before you salt or season.
I use dog food, and cook my own ground beef, turkey, and chicken to mix in with the dog food.
I also use insectivore pellets from Mazuri as an extra protein source.
As far as cat- or dog food, yes, plenty safe to use as the staple protein. The fewer byproducts and additives the better.
But if you don't like that idea you can just use the same meat you cook for yourself, just cut off a piece before you salt or season.
I use dog food, and cook my own ground beef, turkey, and chicken to mix in with the dog food.
I also use insectivore pellets from Mazuri as an extra protein source.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
the people on this forum who give cat or dog food are very carefully picking a brand with high meat content, little salt and with as little additives/chemicals as possible.
Wellness is a brand i see often mentioned.
I buy cesar, with a 60% meat content, and if possible i try to find a brand named Applaws too.
pedigree is okay, gold is probably just about okay too.
some give cooked chicken, im not sure about this.
the blueys probably need extra calcium anyway, always sprinkle the food with a little nutrients, no matter what you pick.
if i remember correctly, you dont need an ash content above 2%. its just extra.
Wellness is a brand i see often mentioned.
I buy cesar, with a 60% meat content, and if possible i try to find a brand named Applaws too.
pedigree is okay, gold is probably just about okay too.
some give cooked chicken, im not sure about this.
the blueys probably need extra calcium anyway, always sprinkle the food with a little nutrients, no matter what you pick.
if i remember correctly, you dont need an ash content above 2%. its just extra.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
-
CarsynBeth
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 32
- Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:59 pm
- Country:
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Wow, I'd never seen the Freshpet before, looks GREAT!
Sounds like quality ingredients that aren't overprocessed. Awesome. I'll have to look into that.
Dog foods usually have more veggies than cat foods, which is good for BTS, and cat foods have Taurine in it, which is debatable (and has been debated here) whether it's good or bad, and you'll find arguments on both sides.
There's added vitamins in both, but many of us add calcium powder every so often.
If you've read the Caresheet you know that most of us do the 50% veggies and greens, 40% meat, and 10% fruit.
Personally I use fruits and bugs and worms as a "treats" rather than an every meal kind of thing.
I've described a few times, even recently, what and how I feed, if you want to check that out. (Most recently in thread called Joey Husbandry.) We all find what works the best for us and our BTS.
Sounds like quality ingredients that aren't overprocessed. Awesome. I'll have to look into that.
Dog foods usually have more veggies than cat foods, which is good for BTS, and cat foods have Taurine in it, which is debatable (and has been debated here) whether it's good or bad, and you'll find arguments on both sides.
There's added vitamins in both, but many of us add calcium powder every so often.
If you've read the Caresheet you know that most of us do the 50% veggies and greens, 40% meat, and 10% fruit.
Personally I use fruits and bugs and worms as a "treats" rather than an every meal kind of thing.
I've described a few times, even recently, what and how I feed, if you want to check that out. (Most recently in thread called Joey Husbandry.) We all find what works the best for us and our BTS.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
-
CarsynBeth
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 32
- Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:59 pm
- Country:
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 224 guests
