Emergency Prep

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Emergency Prep

Postby Susann » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:49 pm

I’ve been working for the last few weeks getting together some “Emergency” tubs for each for the reptiles. Or improving what I had before.
It has come up in a few threads recently, and I’m curious as to what some of you have prepared or planned, and if there are specific reasons for what you have done.
As always; pictures would be great!

I went to Walmart and bought three cake “carriers”. $5 each--gotta love Walmart! Drilled some holes in the lids and a few on the sides of the containers too.
(I’m wondering if the holes are big enough? Let me know what you think.)

Image Image

I wrote “I am a harmless pet reptile” on the lids—in case I ever got separated from them. Don’t really want somebody happening upon them and reacting the way I did when I first saw a BTS!
Image

In two of them I put aspen shavings for Jazz and Maddie. One bottle of water between the three of them. One heat pouch and a small can of dog food in each of the three.
I still have to find good small bowls from which I can offer water to them.
Image

Just paper towels for Joey.
Image

I have the containers right underneath each terrarium to cut down time in a hurry.
Image

Miss Grumpy Pants Jazz.
Image

Mellow Maddie, just hangin’.
Image

I plan on getting a bag that the containers all fit in, for carrying. They ARE $5 Walmart containers, I don’t quite trust them for being flung around by the handles. There is, after all, something much more precious than cake in them. :love:

I do use the carriers from time to time when I take the reptiles somewhere. They are not just for emergencies.
If it’s cold I open one of the heat pads, put it in a fleece pouch that I made, and put it in the carrier. The big Super Warmer heat pads heat up to 140 degrees F (60 C), so I don’t feel comfortable having it in there without the fleece pouches. Heat also last a bit longer when in the pouch.
They really DO last about 18 hrs. I probably have about 50 or 60 of them. In case power goes out for any period of time in the winter, I won't have to walk around with 5 reptiles inside my shirt!

I showed you mine, now show me yours! :thumbs:
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
aggiegirl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 807
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:19 pm
Country:

wow!

Postby aggiegirl » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:26 pm

I thought I planned ahead for everything! You make my planning look insufficient! You should give classes! :lol:
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:27 pm

Good idea for a thread, great pics!! :D I am out of town, can't add any more than that, but thanks for posting!
User avatar
Karen
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
Country: USA

Postby Karen » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:28 pm

I like the cake carriers a lot. Seems like a great idea, not just for emergencies but also general carrying, like you mentioned.

Don't want to sidetrack the thread, but is that a Showcase cage I see there? If so I'd like to PM you about it and ask your opinion on them; I'm considering getting one.
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Postby Susann » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:55 pm

Karen wrote: is that a Showcase cage I see there? If so I'd like to PM you about it and ask your opinion on them; I'm considering getting one.


Yup, Showcase. Pros and cons, just like everything else in life, but I'll PM you.

I was actually thinking about doing a thread on this subject, but since you brought it up, maybe I'll speed my plans up....
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:02 pm

This is a fantastic thread, Susann! Absolutely top-notch.
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Postby Susann » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:27 pm

....am I the only one with something prepared....? Nobody has showed me theirs yet! :heated: :sad3: :leftout:

Come on!

And also, do you think I need bigger holes, or are those fine?
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 314 guests