Pill Bugs?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

Pill Bugs?

Postby WanderingChai » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:29 pm

Hey all!
I was wondering if Blueys could eat pill bugs? I just acquired some as pets, but I was wondering if I decide to breed them I could feed them to Tea Cup?

Thanks in advance! :D
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Postby Linnea » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:50 pm

Being a land living Crustacean, the pill bug is probably like giving a tiiiny piece of crab or crawfish XD

ive thought of this feeding possibility too, i dont think theyre dangerous at all, just, they would need very many, and the nutritional value probably isnt very high.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:25 pm

Pill bugs as pets? Weird. I've got a huge colony living in my monkey-tail-skink tank right now, but they're just everyday bugs here. I can't see that it would hurt a BTS to eat them.
User avatar
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott
Posts: 4362
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
Country:
Location: Central Victoria, Australia

Postby Scotts1au » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:35 pm

My blueys eat them in their hundreds in their outdoor enclosure. It is common to see the blueys shifting wood around and mopping up the slaters (and pill bugs underneath). They are a natural bluey food.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

Postby WanderingChai » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:55 pm

Awesome, thanks guys! Do you think they would be better just for treats, or would they be an OK staple? I'm just wondering because it would be great to have my own food source. I used dirt from my yard(100% chemical free) and so there are some little worms in there too :)
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.
User avatar
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott
Posts: 4362
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
Country:
Location: Central Victoria, Australia

Postby Scotts1au » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:16 pm

Hard to imagine that you would ever get enough of them to be a staple (note that I really advocate the term for food sources for blueys) but you should be able to feed as many as you like.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
User avatar
acanthurus
Rugosa Envy
Rugosa Envy
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:11 am
Country:
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Postby acanthurus » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:30 pm

Just been watching my shingles and westerns snuffling around for them in the garden...
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Postby Linnea » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:24 am

heh. ill go collect a few hundred right away, and store for winter.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

Postby WanderingChai » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:48 am

Awesome guys. I only have around 6 in a big rubbermaid, but if I get them to breed and I have to thin it out, I'll feed some to Tea Cup :3
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.
User avatar
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer
Posts: 1889
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 am
Country:
Location: Western Australia

Postby Nae » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:50 am

Keep them dark, moist and with plenty of food - I had mine breeding like mad :lol:
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

Postby WanderingChai » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:55 am

Thats what I'm doing. :D I spend around 2 days researching them, they're actually awesome...
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.
User avatar
Musoke
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:09 pm
Country:
Location: Grassie, Ontario

Postby Musoke » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:47 pm

PILL BUGS ARE PETS??
They're everywhere here!! :shock:
- Meagan
Image
User avatar
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer
Posts: 1889
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 am
Country:
Location: Western Australia

Postby Nae » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:24 pm

Musoke, its more the fact of watching them, that awesome feeling you get when you manage to breed, just the fun of looking after them etc - As I could say almost the exact same thing about bluetongues ;) But Im stoked for mine!
User avatar
critterguy
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 702
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 am
Country:

Postby critterguy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:27 pm

Wild pillbugs can accumulate large amounts of heavy metals etc. in their organs so I would suggest only feeding ones you are confident have not been exposed to toxins.
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

Postby WanderingChai » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:20 pm

Musoke, they're everywhere here too. They're just adorable. :P Critterguy, 150%. These guys were never exposed to anything unnatural.
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 196 guests