Page 1 of 1

What you need to transport your BTS from Canada to the USA.

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:41 pm
by MissMeg
Okay, I finally have the correct information for transporting your BTS across the Canadian boarder to the US.

Step One.
You can eithor call 1(877)499-4427 (which is the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service)
Or go right to the website www.fws.gov\le
(You can call them to find out if your reptile is a protected species)

Step Two.
Once your on the website, then click on the tab that says Importers/Exporters

Step Three.
Click on Declaration Form 3-177

Step Four.
Follow the instructions and links on the page. I printed off all four of the links so when I get to the boarder Ill have everything ready.

Form Number 3-177

•Declaration for Importation or Exportation of Fish or Wildlife
•Page 2 - Continuation Sheet
•Instructions for Completing the Form
•Privacy Act Information

Step Five.
When you cross the boarder make sure you have all of the paperwork ready. I was told thats all I needed. They wont be quarentined or dont need a vet letter.

** Ill update this once I've acually crossed to tell you if there is anything else**

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:02 pm
by Katrina
Thanks for taking the time to research and then post all of this for us to learn from!

If you come back to Canada to visit, be sure to bring a couple US blueys back for me! :innocent:

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:31 pm
by MissMeg
Of course! lol. When Im done school Ill be moving to BC Ill bring some up then :)

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:15 am
by Alioop
Thanks for the info Meg! Doesn't sound like its as complicated as I always assumed it would be. When is the big moving date?

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:48 am
by MissMeg
Still not sure. My dad left this morning at 5am. He starts work on the 12th, so hell be staying in a hotel until we know for sure when were commin.

The house went up for sale on friday, and weve already got one person intrested.

My last day of work is on the 15th of October, so hopefully we move around that date :)

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:57 pm
by Susann
Just FYI if you wish to be a "Citizen in good standing"; each state has their own regulations and lists of accepted reptiles.
Some are banned, others are regulated, and some states require licenses.

Here in Utah, for example, BTS are not on the list of banned reptiles, so I'm allowed to possess them, but regulated to only possessing three of any one species of reptile.

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:02 pm
by MissMeg
Oh I didnt know that. Well Im only going with Ruckus and one crested gecko. I hope thats fine. Do you know how I would find out this information?

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:05 pm
by Susann
MissMeg wrote:Oh I didnt know that. Well Im only going with Ruckus and one crested gecko. I hope thats fine. Do you know how I would find out this information?


On this site you click on the state on their map that you want to know about, and it brings up all the laws regarding "Exotic Animals" in that state, then scroll down to the list of reptiles. Now I only looked at Utah, but I assume it would be the same type of lists for other states.

http://www.bornfreeusa.org/b4a2_exotic_animals.php

If BTS is not on the list, as I understand it, then there are no regulations for BTS and you are allowed to possess them. Like I mentioned before, in Utah you can possess any reptile not on the list, but you are only allowed 3 of any one kind of reptile.
But that, I imagine, would be different from state to state. Some states, like California, are much more strict.

This "paper" was also very helpful and interesting to read, I believe I found the bornfreeusa site through it.

http://www.animallaw.info/articles/ddusexoticpets.htm

Other than this site I also googled Utah regulations for reptiles, but after reading some other sites and even forums, I discovered that the bornfreeusa site told me everything I needed to know.

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:14 am
by MissMeg
Thanks Susan! I looked up North Carolina, and there was noting on reptiles :)
Something on Skunks, and bison ect lol

I havent read the second link yet, Its definatly a good read though. When Ive got some time Ill read it.

Thanks for the links They are/will be very helpful!

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:55 am
by xxmonitorlizardxx
I would goto the nc fish and wildlife website.

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:39 am
by ExtremeJustin
I checked out that site and looked up Florida. I couldn't find a listing for limit on possession of Florida Box Turtles or the ban on possession of Gopher Tortoises??? I know those 2 regulations exist for Florida so either I missed it on the site or I would recommend going to the local state fish and wildlife department (or whatever it may be called in the relevant state).

Side note: I was surprised to see that the city of Homewood, Alabama doesn't allow reptiles (or maybe I read it wrong and it's just local reptiles) in the city. That's where I stayed in Birmingham, AL when I was last month. There are police EVERYWHERE in that city. I didn't bring my BTS with me, but that might have been a mess if I had to stay in another area because of my BTS.

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:42 am
by Susann
Yeah, who knows how old those lists are. But I still think that it's interesting to check out.
After reading the site for Utah I just kept googling and reading other sites and lists, and as far as where I am, the regulations have not changed, I didn't find anything new anywhere else.

So I guess we should say; the bornfreeusa can be a good place to start, but make sure through other means that you have the correct information.

About the Turtles and Tortoises, did you make sure they weren't listed under their ...whatshamacallit... scientific name?

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:12 am
by Susann
Another thing:
and this is just how I would do it to protect myself from having to give up any of my reptiles. This is totally for everyone to take what they want out of my thoughts here, they are simply MY thoughts.

If I were to call the Fish and Wildlife department (or any other department) to see what they have to say, I would totally not mention in any way that i HAVE ANY reptiles. I would just pretend to be someone looking to have the correct information, and wanting to follow any guidelines my state may have, in any future possibility of reptile possession.

Because if I at any time say I have such-and-such reptile, and they go on to tell me that according my state regulations I am not allowed to possess this reptile, what then?

I think it might depend on what mood the person is in, because, say they just had a case where they had to go fish a huge boa out of someones irrigation ditch, and boas are banned. The guy, to whom I just told I have a boa, might then take whatever measures he CAN to make sure there will be no repeat of having to chase down snakes who are just let go because they are too big for the owner to handle.

:oops: OK, I do know this is a pretty far-fetched scenario, but I guess this is just how I deal with "what-iffs". Because if I have 4 snakes when I'm only allowed to possess 3 in my state, I would rather live in violation of that regulation than give up a snake.

Again: that is only MY opinion, and what and how I would choose to do things. I am NOT advocating lawlessness :hand: or anything but a happy reptile-filled life. :cloud9: :workit:
You are welcome to do what's best for you. :lalala: :wink:

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:29 pm
by Nae
To add onto what Susan said, either that or 'call on behalf of a friend.' ;)

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:53 pm
by Bird_Brain
Honestly, it would be VERY unlikely that BTS and crested geckos are illegal to own in NC. The only thing I can find is a permit required ONLY if the reptile is native to North Carolina ( http://www.ncwildlife.org/License/docum ... cation.pdf ).

Now I am not saying that its not a good idea to research the laws in that state as well as county/city, but typically the reptiles that are banned/require a permit are crocodilians, large snakes, monitors, and venomous reptiles. Again, these can vary and some states have no regulations on these.

IMO, I would not call any of the local government agencies in regards to owning a reptile. With the internet, its not hard to find the laws and regulations on owning animals in a particular state. The less the government knows, the better, IMO. I would LOVE to get a gila monster, but with the laws Indiana has, I will have to apply for a permit and notify all residents living within a 1 mile radius of my house that I am applying for the permit. They then can fight the permit, but if they dont, then the department of natural resources has to come and inspect the caging for the venomous reptile. They then again send notice to all residents notifying them that they are issuing a permit to me and the can again fight against it.

The less people know the better. As long as you are following the laws, Id keep my mouth shut to any government agencies and neighbors.

Edit: Current law passed to regulate "dangerous reptiles"
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegi ... le_55.html

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:34 am
by reaperreptiles
I agree, the less they know the better. Here in VA supposedly you cannot have more than 3 animals of a species without a permit. But honestly if I have 4 bts or even 4 leopard geckos at once am i really going to call the local govnt to apply for a permit...NO. UNless you are planning on becoming a 'big' breeder dont worry about it. And in all honesty the only people who really look into the laws pertaining to reptiles are reptile keepers. All my neighbors know I have a few lizards, they dont care and im sure none of them care enough to have the time to look up laws and call animal control or what not. Unless you have a LARGE potentially dangerous or venomous animal i dont think people really care too much.

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:23 am
by Susann
Yes, ditto ReptileKing and reaperreptiles. Those are my personal opinions as well. I'm willing to live in violation, but not everyone is.

We were trying to inform people where to find out what is required to enter the US with reptiles, and find out what the regulations are in their state.

I was trying to find websites with the pertinent information because I myself would not be calling any government agencies either. It kept being suggested by others on this thread as an easier way to get information and I just wanted to give some pointers on what perhaps to do if someone chooses to call.

ReptileKing and reaperreptiles, I know you weren't disagreeing with me, we seem to agree on all points, I just wanted to make it clear after all that, that I also DO NOT think calling an agency would be a good first step. Lots of ways to find info these days without alerting anybody.

Just a caution to reaperreptiles, I don't think you need just LARGE potentially dangerous or venomous animals for people in your neighborhood to CARE. I think most people who have something against snakes don't care what KIND it is, they simply can't stand the thought of accidentally running in to ANY snake. And somehow they assume since you HAVE a snake, at some point the snake is going to kill a child.

I'm sure we have ALL heard the million stupid questions of people who shudder: what if it gets loose, what if it crawls in your bed, what if it crawls into the toilet and comes up in MINE, what if it chews your arm off?????!!!!! And so on.

My friends mother won't come visit anymore because we have a snake in the basement! I'm sure if she lived on your street, she might have a problem. She would certainly CARE.

I will stress though that it is a very good idea to KNOW what the regulations are in the city, county, state, and country you are in. That way you would KNOW if you need to be careful at any point.

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:05 am
by reaperreptiles
EXACTLY!!! I agree. If I owned snakes, I dont think i would tell my neighbors. Just bc of the large amount of people who 'fear' them, but it seems most people are fine with small to medium lizards but snakes are a different story. I have a buddy who lives out in the country here in VA, he keeps all sorts of venomous and crocidilians (which are illegal) but bc he has no neighbors and doesnt announce it to the world he lives just fine alone with his animals. Its personal preference I guess, but I totally agree with you.

I had a friend once who had a a little green tree monitor, he told his neighbor who called the police. Animal control took his monitor and uthanized it before they realized he was not breaking any laws, he sued off course and won. But its just proof that we need to be careful.

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:32 pm
by ExtremeJustin
I checked and I couldn't find them listed on the bornfreeusa site under the scientific names either. I did finally track down the law at https://www.flrules.org/gateway/RuleNo.asp?title=RULES%20RELATING%20TO%20REPTILES&ID=68A-25.002 or in web readable form at http://www.calusaherp.org/business/laws.htm.

Susann wrote:Yeah, who knows how old those lists are. But I still think that it's interesting to check out.
After reading the site for Utah I just kept googling and reading other sites and lists, and as far as where I am, the regulations have not changed, I didn't find anything new anywhere else.

So I guess we should say; the bornfreeusa can be a good place to start, but make sure through other means that you have the correct information.

About the Turtles and Tortoises, did you make sure they weren't listed under their ...whatshamacallit... scientific name?
[/url]