Page 1 of 1

my ghetto set up

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:02 am
by Kurt
So today I picked up some equipment today off CL which means I've officially committed to getting another skink. Unfortunately since I'm a poor grad student I had to go for the cheapest shelving unit I could find that was big enough to hold an enclosure and its pretty ghetto looking. Anywho heres a pic, don't make fun!

Image

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:11 am
by Jeff
Looks like plenty of room for a third shelf to me. :wink:

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:49 am
by Kurt
Jeff wrote:Looks like plenty of room for a third shelf to me. :wink:


lol i think my roommate would kill me. 2 is pushing it.

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:41 pm
by JoshChimera
Looks great to me.

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:39 pm
by Kurt
JoshChimera wrote:Looks great to me.


haha thanks but its pretty ugly. its a used industrial shelving rack that i got for $20. its actually in good condition (no rust or stains) but its definitely not an indoor thing. and its 4x2x6 so its just a huge eye sore to have in my living room... but its the cheapest thing i could find that would hold the weight of my tank and it motivated me to get another tank so i guess it works out.

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:28 pm
by reaperreptiles
hey man, whatever works. i do the same thing. got a rack setup for my bts and my beardie. Just setup a new rack a few weeks back. heres my setups. so ive got two racks and 4 tubs. they look alot different inside since ive added alot of stuff and more hides but you get the idea. once im in a better situation im probably gonna build two more and get 2 more female beardies and possibly a pair of tannis.

Image

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:14 pm
by Kurt
welp that makes me feel better! i just hate it being so big, and having it in my living room cuz its the first thing you see. those metal shelves are what i originally tried to do but my tanks wouldn't fit so i had to upgrade to a huge industrial shelf haha

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:39 pm
by Bird_Brain
When I had my apartment in school, as soon as you walked in you saw an 8ft long x 7ft tall x 4ft deep cage for an iguana I had. Talk about an eyesore! But if you have seen any pictures of my current set up, Im using a similar to reaperreptiles. Except I build about an 8ft long shelf that has 4 tubs on each row. Im not worried about looks though, more functionality.

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:43 pm
by Nae
You could do something like get cheap slats of wood and secure them to the frame to make it look as if the stand is made out of wood? And since the metal shelves are what are doing to actual supporting and standing and such, they dont have to be strong or even secured properly (Although so that they wont fall obviously)

(I do a lot of costuming you see, and some are so utterly ridiculous/crazy etc, coming up with these sorts of short cuts are all in a days work :D I have a pair of shoes in the making made from wood to support me, cardboard to give it shape, then expanding foam to actually fill them out, haha!)

But otherwise, as long as it works, its all good!

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:55 pm
by reaperreptiles
I agree with reptileking, its all about being functional. When i become rich then i can worry about how it looks :lol: . Im trying to design something that I can wrap or build around the back and sides to make them feel more secure but im still working on that one :lol:

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:24 pm
by Bird_Brain
reaperreptiles wrote:I agree with reptileking, its all about being functional. When i become rich then i can worry about how it looks :lol: . Im trying to design something that I can wrap or build around the back and sides to make them feel more secure but im still working on that one :lol:

What about spray paint? With the current paints, there is a number of brands available that will adhere to plastic. Id spray the outside of the totes so they skink doesnt have contact with the paint (although it would probably be safe, but just in case...). If/When the paint chips, just quickly give it another coat.

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:38 pm
by Kurt
Nae wrote:You could do something like get cheap slats of wood and secure them to the frame to make it look as if the stand is made out of wood? And since the metal shelves are what are doing to actual supporting and standing and such, they dont have to be strong or even secured properly (Although so that they wont fall obviously)

(I do a lot of costuming you see, and some are so utterly ridiculous/crazy etc, coming up with these sorts of short cuts are all in a days work :D I have a pair of shoes in the making made from wood to support me, cardboard to give it shape, then expanding foam to actually fill them out, haha!)

But otherwise, as long as it works, its all good!


I think i'm just going to re arrange my living room b/c it'd be more welcoming for my guests to walk into an apartment and not see the tanks first. none of them know what a bts is so people are pretty intimidated or creeped out thinking its some kind of snake or something.

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:39 pm
by Kurt
ReptileKing wrote:When I had my apartment in school, as soon as you walked in you saw an 8ft long x 7ft tall x 4ft deep cage for an iguana I had. Talk about an eyesore! But if you have seen any pictures of my current set up, Im using a similar to reaperreptiles. Except I build about an 8ft long shelf that has 4 tubs on each row. Im not worried about looks though, more functionality.


i haven't seen it. can u post one?

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:24 pm
by Bird_Brain
hot carl wrote:i haven't seen it. can u post one?

Absolutely. Here is a picture of my setups before my current.
Image

Here is my set up now.
Image

The last picture is of the quarantine room, but the reptile room has two of these "racks" with the totes.

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:39 pm
by Kurt
wow thats an awesome room. well i feel a lot better about my set up now. once i rearrange my living room i think my apartment will really come together with the tanks.