Page 1 of 2
determing the sex for some Blotched BT's
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:51 pm
by kl
After seeing Jeff's post about guessing sexes, I figured I'd try it. Forgive me as I stink at photography.
These are four 13 month old Blotchies with 1 pic each. Would anyone like to give an opinion as to what sexes they are. They range from 17 to 19 inches long.
Thanks
KL

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:42 pm
by Jeff
I'll get my guesses in before the Aussies tell you the truth!
Male
Female
Male
Female
I have zero experience with blotched, so I wouldn't be surprised if I am wrong on every one, but I wanted to post it so that I didn't forget what I guessed after the experts respond.
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:44 pm
by Jeff
Thanks for posting these pictures by the way. They are looking awesome!
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:55 pm
by Scotts1au
My guesses would be:
Male
Female
Female
Male
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:08 pm
by BTSspartan
my guesses are
1:epic
2:epic
3:epic
4:and epic
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:46 pm
by WanderingChai
I have no idea but they are too cute!!
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:46 pm
by Spindown
they are all gorgeous, i dont have any idea on how to guess

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:21 pm
by El Lobo
1. Male
2. Female
3. I've gone back and forth on this because the tail isn't visible but will go with female on head shape.
4. Male
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:44 pm
by Richard.C
can be tricky to sex from pics,especially with those solid alpines,as males also can be solid,even in tail,especially when adult sized with in a year
id also say male female female ,but the 4th pic im undecided,tail looks male,like a lowlands,but head looks rather girly,but saying that,the first one i say male has a fat girly tail,looks to have the solidest tail of the lot of them,but over all has the male shortness look with tanky head,females as a rule appear quite solid,except the head,and have a long body look,
the last pic has the same malle look body length wise so ill take a stab at male also
would be interesting to hear others thoughts on why they chose them as particular sexes,kim what are u leaning towards sex wise,they all look like fantastic specimens to,very nice
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:49 pm
by Richard.C
oh and on another note with the 4th one,males noggins even when grown fast can take a couple of seasons to fill out so to speak
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:03 pm
by Nae
I agree with BTSspartan

They are so lovely, I especially love the salmon colours!
Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:34 am
by Katrina
I am deleting all of topic posts - please comment if you have anything relevant to add regarding sexing of these blotchies. BTSpartan, if you want to purchase please start a new thread, but also please do some more research. You are asking about very, very rare and expensive blueys and it is unlikely that any will be available for sale.

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:30 am
by ExtremeJustin
I love the colors on these guys! I've only seen a handful of Blotchies in person and most of them were around the same age and had the same colors as these. Are these by any chance the brothers/sisters of the ones that Ray has?
Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:42 pm
by christian
I'm going to say male female female male...just a guess.
Re: determing the sex for some Blotched BT's
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:29 pm
by kl
Now that I actually know the sexes of these animals, I'll let those who guessed see how accurate you were.
1) female
2) male
3) female
4) female
KL
Re: determing the sex for some Blotched BT's
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:40 pm
by Richard.C
nice kim,great outcome on sexes,wow ,the male i thought looked the girliest, thin looking head,pics can be decieving though,and males can take a bit for there heads to boof out
out of all the blotchy forms the tanky blue mountains forms,which yours look to be show the least differences between sexes,viewing them in person helps
hows the season shaping up for you
Re: determing the sex for some Blotched BT's
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:55 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
Wow I was right for them all but #4
Re: determing the sex for some Blotched BT's
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:03 pm
by StaceyLeigh
Wow, I must have missed this thread before, Gorgeous Alpine Blotchies, my absolute favorite, after the Northerns! You are very blessed!
Re: determing the sex for some Blotched BT's
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:12 pm
by Jeff
Sweet! I got...1 right!!! I guess I need to get some blotchies so that I can learn how to sex them. Or I guess I could just have Monitorlizard teach me.
Re: determing the sex for some Blotched BT's
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:17 pm
by phaemas
Wow! I've always loved the look of blochies and shingles and such! Shingles always look angery:) Blotchies just look adorable though! Pretty skinkys!