determing the sex for some Blotched BT's

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
kl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 508
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:37 pm
Country:
Location: Massachusetts

determing the sex for some Blotched BT's

Postby kl » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:51 pm

After seeing Jeff's post about guessing sexes, I figured I'd try it. Forgive me as I stink at photography.

These are four 13 month old Blotchies with 1 pic each. Would anyone like to give an opinion as to what sexes they are. They range from 17 to 19 inches long.

Thanks
KL



Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Postby Jeff » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:42 pm

I'll get my guesses in before the Aussies tell you the truth!

Male
Female
Male
Female

I have zero experience with blotched, so I wouldn't be surprised if I am wrong on every one, but I wanted to post it so that I didn't forget what I guessed after the experts respond.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Postby Jeff » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:44 pm

Thanks for posting these pictures by the way. They are looking awesome!
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott
Posts: 4362
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
Country:
Location: Central Victoria, Australia

Postby Scotts1au » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:55 pm

My guesses would be:

Male
Female
Female
Male
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
BTSspartan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:58 am
Country:

Postby BTSspartan » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:08 pm

my guesses are
1:epic
2:epic
3:epic
4:and epic
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

Postby WanderingChai » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:46 pm

I have no idea but they are too cute!!
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Postby Spindown » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:46 pm

they are all gorgeous, i dont have any idea on how to guess :)
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Postby El Lobo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:21 pm

1. Male
2. Female
3. I've gone back and forth on this because the tail isn't visible but will go with female on head shape.
4. Male
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Postby Richard.C » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:44 pm

can be tricky to sex from pics,especially with those solid alpines,as males also can be solid,even in tail,especially when adult sized with in a year

id also say male female female ,but the 4th pic im undecided,tail looks male,like a lowlands,but head looks rather girly,but saying that,the first one i say male has a fat girly tail,looks to have the solidest tail of the lot of them,but over all has the male shortness look with tanky head,females as a rule appear quite solid,except the head,and have a long body look,

the last pic has the same malle look body length wise so ill take a stab at male also

would be interesting to hear others thoughts on why they chose them as particular sexes,kim what are u leaning towards sex wise,they all look like fantastic specimens to,very nice
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Postby Richard.C » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:49 pm

oh and on another note with the 4th one,males noggins even when grown fast can take a couple of seasons to fill out so to speak
User avatar
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer
Posts: 1889
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 am
Country:
Location: Western Australia

Postby Nae » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:03 pm

I agree with BTSspartan :lol: They are so lovely, I especially love the salmon colours!
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:34 am

I am deleting all of topic posts - please comment if you have anything relevant to add regarding sexing of these blotchies. BTSpartan, if you want to purchase please start a new thread, but also please do some more research. You are asking about very, very rare and expensive blueys and it is unlikely that any will be available for sale. :wink:
User avatar
ExtremeJustin
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:23 am
Country: USA
Location: Tampa,Florida

Postby ExtremeJustin » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:30 am

I love the colors on these guys! I've only seen a handful of Blotchies in person and most of them were around the same age and had the same colors as these. Are these by any chance the brothers/sisters of the ones that Ray has?
No, it's a SKINK not a SKUNK. Er, no, it's not a Blue Tongued Skank---although I do think I dated one of those at some point.
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)
christian
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:35 pm
Country:

Postby christian » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:42 pm

I'm going to say male female female male...just a guess.
kl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 508
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:37 pm
Country:
Location: Massachusetts

Re: determing the sex for some Blotched BT's

Postby kl » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:29 pm

Now that I actually know the sexes of these animals, I'll let those who guessed see how accurate you were.

1) female
2) male
3) female
4) female

KL
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: determing the sex for some Blotched BT's

Postby Richard.C » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:40 pm

nice kim,great outcome on sexes,wow ,the male i thought looked the girliest, thin looking head,pics can be decieving though,and males can take a bit for there heads to boof out

out of all the blotchy forms the tanky blue mountains forms,which yours look to be show the least differences between sexes,viewing them in person helps

hows the season shaping up for you
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: determing the sex for some Blotched BT's

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:55 pm

Wow I was right for them all but #4
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Re: determing the sex for some Blotched BT's

Postby StaceyLeigh » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:03 pm

Wow, I must have missed this thread before, Gorgeous Alpine Blotchies, my absolute favorite, after the Northerns! You are very blessed!
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: determing the sex for some Blotched BT's

Postby Jeff » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:12 pm

Sweet! I got...1 right!!! I guess I need to get some blotchies so that I can learn how to sex them. Or I guess I could just have Monitorlizard teach me.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
phaemas
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am
Country:
Location: winnipeg,manitoba, canada

Re: determing the sex for some Blotched BT's

Postby phaemas » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:17 pm

Wow! I've always loved the look of blochies and shingles and such! Shingles always look angery:) Blotchies just look adorable though! Pretty skinkys!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 393 guests