Page 1 of 1

Eeks! My BTS Girl has a Temper!

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:02 am
by ILoveMyMonsters
Well it turns out that miss Gauge is sassy.

Very, very sassy.

She seems be getting a bit of a temper to her. I know it's kind of funny now to see a little baby skink trying to bite (gum, more like) me, but it's not going to be cute when she's older and can inflict some damage.

Right now, she has a special spot in one of the cubby holes on my desk she likes to go in. She starts huffing and hissing if I so much as pull down my laptop lid to check on her. Obviously, I have to put her back in her cage sometime. If I try to get her, she becomes very aggressive and lunges while biting me furiously. She's just as bad if I accidentially wake her up in her cage. I woke her up this morning whilist changing her food and water before heading off to work, and she's been huddled in a corner gaping and hissing at me if I walk by ever since (for about an hour). Anything I can do to help nip this issue in the butt before she gets any worse?

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:14 am
by Nae
Gauge is only new, right? I would let her settle in more - so no taking out of her enclosure/unnecessary handling for a few weeks to allow her to settle in. She still probably sees you as a predator, so you removing her or even looking at her whilst she is in a safe place can trigger a defensive response.

Once she realises your not going to eat her, then start taking her out for cuddles and exploring - It should then only take her a little while before shes completely used to you :D

What sort of hides does she have in her enclosure?

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:55 am
by Bird_Brain
One solution is eliminating the situations that cause her to become aggressive. If she is aggressive when you try to get her out of that tight spot, common sense would tell me to not allow her in that spot. If you want to interact with her do so out in the open where she has no place to hide.

Also, as Nae said, all animals need an adjustment period when brought to a different environment. Be sure you are allowing your skink enough time to settle in.