Update: First few days of School

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Scooter_in_Kindergarten
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:25 pm
Country:
Location: Central Florida

Update: First few days of School

Postby Scooter_in_Kindergarten » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:37 pm

Thank you to everyone who gave me such good advice. The support from this site is just wonderful!
Here is an update on my little Scoot. Today was his 3rd day in the classroom, and he is doing GREAT! The kids start Monday so that is when the real test is, but I've had him in the room since Monday and he is just super happy. Very active and very interested in all the teachers that come in to see what a cool class pet I have. (1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade all have a bearded dragon) Kindergarten is special with Scoot :)
It hurts a little when some people compare him to a snake and get "creeped out", but I guess it is very common. I just think he is so cute and wonderful, it's hard to see him as anything else.
I will update again soon after the kids start. :)
I just wanted to let everyone who helped me out with awesome advice, that he is doing great and no longer "hisses" when I reach in to handle him.
Thanks again. :)
User avatar
Coomassie
The Inked Chemist
The Inked Chemist
Posts: 1826
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
Country:
Location: Newark, DE

Postby Coomassie » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:24 am

Glad to hear he is adjusting! I didn't realize that reptiles were such common classroom pets. There is another guy around here who keeps his skink in a classroom. His handle is Eegore.
Cay T.
User avatar
phaemas
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am
Country:
Location: winnipeg,manitoba, canada

Postby phaemas » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:39 pm

Ya, Marvin(my skink) gets compaired to a snake,with legs, all the time and it's pain full.
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Postby Spindown » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:24 pm

lol i like snakes too so i dont mind the comparison, i just point out there tiny little legs and let it go :)

I mean to most people (i.e. non herp people) anything that is scaly looks like a snake to them, legs or no legs ^_^

Glad to hear Scoot is doing well!
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
critterguy
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 702
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 am
Country:

Postby critterguy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:53 pm

It is interesting that many people mistake them for snakes. They frequently claim their heads look snakelike as well. I suppose they are more snakelike than an iguana.
User avatar
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
Country:
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Postby Lea » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:48 am

Hi! I've not been on the site for a bit, but hopefully I'll be around enough to catch up a bit on your story.

I would have loved to have lizards in the classroom when I was at school! I think it's less common in England, too. But I can't complain- we had two ducks, a whole cage of reproducing guinea pigs and a couple of rabbits when I was at school! I think I remember more about the class pets than any other education I got at primary school :lol:

Just shows what an impression animals can have at a young age- definitely good for skinks and other reptiles, which get such a bad reputation in later life. Maybe it will help reduce the fear factor in adulthood :noknow:
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
User avatar
Adalon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:47 pm
Country:
Location: California

Postby Adalon » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:56 am

My favorite teacher in elementary school was when I was in 2nd grade. He had a cage filled with fire newts and fire belly toads and would sometimes bring his iguana in from home that would stay on a big perch type stand all day. I think it's wonderful that you are able to teach kids about reptiles through having class pets, it's rare to see that these days in my district apparently. :)
• 1.0.0 Marauke (Adalon)
• 2.0.0 Western Fence lizard (Cotton, Flax)
• 1.1.0 Tokay Geckos (Cyril, Hypatia)
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Postby Linnea » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:07 pm

class pets dont exist here, maybe an aquarium at the most, but i would have loved to have a reptile in the classroom when i was younger. would have brightened up my day a lot.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
Coomassie
The Inked Chemist
The Inked Chemist
Posts: 1826
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
Country:
Location: Newark, DE

Postby Coomassie » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:52 am

We had rabbits in elementary school and we hatched chicks and ducks. My mom was a teacher and she hatched quails. The baby birds always went to a farmer before they started to get their adult feathers. We definitely didn't have any reptiles. My high school AP biology teacher had really elaborate fish tanks and some hissers but that was it.
Cay T.
User avatar
MissMeg
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 847
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:39 pm
Country: Canada
Location: Sooke,BC

Postby MissMeg » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:22 am

I rember one year we had a hampster (grade 4) and his name was Marbles. Everyone got to take him home for the weekend except me. My dad was too allergic to furballs. I was so upset.

Another year we had our own swamp in the class room. It was in a fish tank. We got to go over to the pond across the yard and collect "gunk" and make our own swamp. We studdied the organisims and stuff that lived in it. But boy did it stink on those hot days.

I was always the cool girl with lizards lol. Id bring my Iguana or beardie to school on show and tell. Everyone loved them.

Now that Im older mind you I dont know if bringing my Lizards were such a good Idea, It probably stressed the heck out of them.`LOL
User avatar
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer
Posts: 1889
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 am
Country:
Location: Western Australia

Postby Nae » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:34 am

I never had a class pet :(

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 318 guests