My guy suddenly became extremely active and won't eat

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Kilplix
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:11 pm
Country:

My guy suddenly became extremely active and won't eat

Postby Kilplix » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:45 pm

As the title says, I don't know what's up with my Skink. I recently cleaned his tank out and put in new bedding and it seems like ever since then he's been active as heck, he's all over the place, totally unlike him.

What's worse though is he's just not eating, I've tried feeding him a billion different things to see if he'd eat, nothing, he just burrows around, tips his water over constantly, climbs on his basking box and just wanders around all over.

I really don't understand what the heck's going on, the bedding I used is the same brand as the last and everything so I don't know how that could be a part of it.

I've had him almost a year, I got him last October, I'm unsure how old he is, maybe a year old now.

Anyway thoughts? advice? I appreciate any

EDIT: It's been around two weeks since this started
Last edited by Kilplix on Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Hopeful_Herper
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:08 pm
Country:
Location: Elk Grove, Ca

Postby Hopeful_Herper » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:46 pm

I have no idea, maybe just feeling good?
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
-Mark Twain
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:49 pm

Where are you from?

It sounds like you might be in the southern hemisphere and have a male...
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Postby Richard.C » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:22 pm

kat may be spot on there
User avatar
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott
Posts: 4362
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
Country:
Location: Central Victoria, Australia

Postby Scotts1au » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:41 pm

:-) are you saying we all have one tracked minds in Australia? haha
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
Kilplix
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:11 pm
Country:

Postby Kilplix » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:49 pm

I'm in the US, Utah
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Postby Richard.C » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:56 pm

lol,scott

Id say with the new substrate its lost its familiar smell and its just investigating
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:17 pm

Scotts1au wrote::-) are you saying we all have one tracked minds in Australia? haha


:nod: Silly southern hemisphere. Scott - did you remember to eat today??
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Postby El Lobo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:27 pm

I guess being in Utah rules out Antipodean philogyny as the principal modus operandi.

I have seen similar behaviour but it usually doesn't last more than about 24 hours after an enclosure has had a full clean and substrate replacement. I mentioned it to a herp vet a few years ago who told me it wasn't unusual behaviour but one remedy is to keep the most recent faeces when you know you are going to do a full clean and place it in the cleaned enclosure prior to returning the skink. When a full clean is performed all scent traces are removed which can slightly disorient the skink so including the older faeces for a short while will allow them to smell their own scent.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Postby Richard.C » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:40 pm

my lot usually delight in pooping as soon as im done cleaning,especially the stumpys,fresh bowl of water,hey lets poop in it and make a mess,lol
User avatar
Lauriek
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1918
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:51 am
Country:
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Postby Lauriek » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:54 am

Well I was also going to say if you're in the Southern Hemisphere I'd be inclined to think you have a boy skink looking for a girl skink :lol: However you're in the northern hemisphere so that doesn't follow. If you've cleaned your cage then all the 'old' smells have gone and your skink probably feels like he's not in familiar surroundings. Sometimes they just want out. My theory is a) they're bored b)they like exploring c)they want the exercise d)it's a ploy to drive humans mad & confuse them, and, e)all of the above. :D
Laurie & A Band O' Blotchies - Bliss (RIP). Barnum the Old Blotchie. Binti, the rescued Blotchie. The Shingles - Solomon & Sheba (Miss Houdini)

Be humble, because you are made of the Earth. Be noble, because you are made of the Stars. - Serbian proverb.
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:38 am

Not sure here, but if the skink is an import-type from Indonesia, could it be it's a male and still used to the Indonesian mating time? Two weeks of mad activity definitely seems like it would be about mating to me.

Other thing would be make sure there's no mites or bugs on him, as those can cause them to itch enough that they keep moving.
Kilplix
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:11 pm
Country:

Postby Kilplix » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:25 pm

I just gave him a plate with the usual mix (from the skink sheet or whatever from this site) along with some turkey, cat food on the side and banana's.

he ate a few pieces of the banana so I'm happy with that, still not a ton of food though.

And yeah I've checked for mites, he's had them before so I definitely know what to look for, he def doesn't have any.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 203 guests