James Wilson
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
James Wilson
It occurred to me that many members of this forum are fairly new to blue-tongued skinks (myself included), and may not realize how lucky we are to have James Wilson participating on the forum lately. In case you are not familiar with who James is, I thought I would try to give a glimpse of his credentials.
James has been a member of this forum since it began, and was instrumental in helping Zach get the thing started. That was around 7 years ago. At that point, James was already an "Old-timer" in the BTS world. He has been keeping and breeding BTS since the '80's I believe, and probably knows as much or more, from FIRST-HAND experience, about keeping blueys in captivity, than anyone else on the planet. It would be virtually impossible to learn something about the captive care and keeping of BTS that James doesn't already know.
When I first discovered this wonderful Genus, James was a kind of mysterious legend that all the knowledgable BTS people spoke admiringly of, but someone who had just decided to take a break from keeping BTS for personal reasons. He vanished into obscurity, and no one seemed to know exactly where he was or how to reach him. It was kind of like discovering E=mc2 the day after Albert Einstien died. I pictured him as a gray-haired scientist that knew ALL the answers to the thousands of questions that I had when I first became addicted to BTS. I regretted for years the fact that I never had the opportunity to talk to him about BTS.
One of the coolest things he left behind though, was the article he wrote for the November 2001 issue of REPTILES magazine. I am sure that most of you have not read this article, but it is without a doubt, one of the best articles ever written about blue-tongued skinks. There is more information in his article than can be found in most books. I would HIGHLY recommend acquiring this back issue to anyone who enjoys reading about BTS. I don't know if it is possible to order back issues from Reptiles Magazine, but I may know where there are some brand new issues available if anyone would like one and is not able to get it.
I was absolutely thrilled last year when Andrew Seike (another Old-timer authority on BTS) told me that James was getting back into BTS! I was planning to meet up with Andrew at the Anaheim Reptile Show, and He told me that James Wilson was coming, and that I would have a chance to meet him in person! I couldn't believe it, I was going to meet the legend face to face! I was slightly shocked when this "blonde dude" who looked like he was maybe 30 walked up. He looked like he had just come in from a day surfing the waves (I actually think he did. He is not actually 30 though)
James is not your typical breeder that is concerned about maximizing profits at the expese of the animals. I have never met anyone who cares more about his skinks than James. I don't mean "his skinks" as a group, I mean each and every individual animal that he keeps. He doesn't view them as possessions, but rather as incredible creatures of infinite value that he has the privilege to care for. I have learned so much from James during the short time that I have known him. I am truly grateful.
James is a great guy, and I have really enjoyed getting to know him a little over this past year. I have even been lucky enough to meet his beautiful wife and his neice and nephews too. I just hate it when people who have spent years acquiring vast knowledge and experience are not recognized for it. Sometimes people who make lots of posts on forums seem to be given more credibility than people who have actually earned it. James is someone who has earned credibility.
James has been incredibly generous with his time on the forum latley, and I do not take that for granted. I realize that things change, and James may not be able to spend this much time on the forum forever. My hope is that all of us will appreciate his time while we have it. Everything he posts is worthy to be "bookmarked" for future reference. I am still trying to figure out how to do that, but I am definitely taking it all in.
Just wanted to make sure everyone realizes who it is making all of these great posts lately!
James has been a member of this forum since it began, and was instrumental in helping Zach get the thing started. That was around 7 years ago. At that point, James was already an "Old-timer" in the BTS world. He has been keeping and breeding BTS since the '80's I believe, and probably knows as much or more, from FIRST-HAND experience, about keeping blueys in captivity, than anyone else on the planet. It would be virtually impossible to learn something about the captive care and keeping of BTS that James doesn't already know.
When I first discovered this wonderful Genus, James was a kind of mysterious legend that all the knowledgable BTS people spoke admiringly of, but someone who had just decided to take a break from keeping BTS for personal reasons. He vanished into obscurity, and no one seemed to know exactly where he was or how to reach him. It was kind of like discovering E=mc2 the day after Albert Einstien died. I pictured him as a gray-haired scientist that knew ALL the answers to the thousands of questions that I had when I first became addicted to BTS. I regretted for years the fact that I never had the opportunity to talk to him about BTS.
One of the coolest things he left behind though, was the article he wrote for the November 2001 issue of REPTILES magazine. I am sure that most of you have not read this article, but it is without a doubt, one of the best articles ever written about blue-tongued skinks. There is more information in his article than can be found in most books. I would HIGHLY recommend acquiring this back issue to anyone who enjoys reading about BTS. I don't know if it is possible to order back issues from Reptiles Magazine, but I may know where there are some brand new issues available if anyone would like one and is not able to get it.
I was absolutely thrilled last year when Andrew Seike (another Old-timer authority on BTS) told me that James was getting back into BTS! I was planning to meet up with Andrew at the Anaheim Reptile Show, and He told me that James Wilson was coming, and that I would have a chance to meet him in person! I couldn't believe it, I was going to meet the legend face to face! I was slightly shocked when this "blonde dude" who looked like he was maybe 30 walked up. He looked like he had just come in from a day surfing the waves (I actually think he did. He is not actually 30 though)
James is not your typical breeder that is concerned about maximizing profits at the expese of the animals. I have never met anyone who cares more about his skinks than James. I don't mean "his skinks" as a group, I mean each and every individual animal that he keeps. He doesn't view them as possessions, but rather as incredible creatures of infinite value that he has the privilege to care for. I have learned so much from James during the short time that I have known him. I am truly grateful.
James is a great guy, and I have really enjoyed getting to know him a little over this past year. I have even been lucky enough to meet his beautiful wife and his neice and nephews too. I just hate it when people who have spent years acquiring vast knowledge and experience are not recognized for it. Sometimes people who make lots of posts on forums seem to be given more credibility than people who have actually earned it. James is someone who has earned credibility.
James has been incredibly generous with his time on the forum latley, and I do not take that for granted. I realize that things change, and James may not be able to spend this much time on the forum forever. My hope is that all of us will appreciate his time while we have it. Everything he posts is worthy to be "bookmarked" for future reference. I am still trying to figure out how to do that, but I am definitely taking it all in.
Just wanted to make sure everyone realizes who it is making all of these great posts lately!
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
- reaperreptiles
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 298
- Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 1:10 pm
- Country:
- Location: Hephzibah, GA
After talking with and messaging james for the last month I have learned stuff about bts that I have never read in any literature. I had read his name on andrew's site and you actually mentioned him a few times while emailing once. When I first realized he was on the forum I was ecstatic that I was talking to someone so 'famous' in the bts circle. I am thrilled that I had the chance to get a baby from him and that he has so active on the forum, always learning something new from James
hope he keeps teaching us all sorts of new interesting things!

-Cheyenne (thats shy-anne)
0.1 caramel northern(Toblerone/Toby for short)
0.0.1 caramel northern(Mr.Tubbins)
0.0.1 northern (Beetlejuice)
0.1 caramel northern(Toblerone/Toby for short)
0.0.1 caramel northern(Mr.Tubbins)
0.0.1 northern (Beetlejuice)
- StaceyLeigh
- Northern Love

- Posts: 1576
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: CNY
- Contact:
- James Wilson
- The Mentor

- Posts: 693
- Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:01 am
- Country:
- Location: San Diego, California
Holy moly, I am at a loss for words, but I will give it a try. I was just about to post a post about Jeff and how much I love the animals I got from him this season, (and I still will). That being said, Jeff needs no introduction, as he has been a consistent driving force in the world of BTS for some time now, and his posts here (and on other forums) are always thoughtful and informative. Recently he was able to facilitate the reproduction of one very awesome baby Shingleback Skink, and I am sure there will be many more incredible successes to come in the future. And his successes are successes for us all. Jeff is one of the main reasons why I am keeping BTS and participating here on this forum. I have learned a great deal from Jeff and his systematic approach to what he does with his skinks. He has accomplished a great deal in a relatively short period of time, and I am truly impressed with his knowledge, approach, and accomplishments. Ironically, Jeff just lives in the subdivision right next to the subdivision I was living in when I was keeping BTS in Arizona, and I had no idea he was even there. On recent trips to visit family in AZ, Jeff has allowed me into his home, and I have been able to meet his family and drool over his awesome skinks. I feel incredibly fortunate and undeserving to have earned such high praise from someone like him. This forum is lucky to have him.
James Wilson
- Scooter_in_Kindergarten
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 152
- Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:25 pm
- Country:
- Location: Central Florida
I think it is just so wonderful that a site like this exists with such knowledgeable people. It is very awesome to have James, as well as all the other truly dedicated BTS lovers, contributing to it.
If it hadn't been for this site, I probably wouldn't own a BTS and I am SO thankful that I do
even if it has only has been a few days. haha.
If it hadn't been for this site, I probably wouldn't own a BTS and I am SO thankful that I do
- Coomassie
- The Inked Chemist

- Posts: 1826
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: Newark, DE
- Alioop
- Loopy De Loop

- Posts: 2648
- Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:37 pm
- Country:
- Location: Buffalo, NY
-
ssr
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 964
- Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Iowa
I have a copy of the November 2001 issue of REPTILES magazine with the "Blue Tongue Beauties" article by James and I would recommend it for anyone wanting to learn more about BTS. It is packed with great information. Thanks James!
As a side note, the magazine also contains an article on the black market reptile trade that will break your heart.
As a side note, the magazine also contains an article on the black market reptile trade that will break your heart.
- JoshChimera
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 1099
- Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:50 pm
- Country:
- Location: the Bay Area CA USA
- James Wilson
- The Mentor

- Posts: 693
- Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:01 am
- Country:
- Location: San Diego, California
ssr wrote:As a side note, the magazine also contains an article on the black market reptile trade that will break your heart.
I was very glad to have that article in the issue with my article, as I have been fighting what seems to be an endless and impossible fight against the importation aspect of this hobby for a very long time. It is a dirty stain on our hobby. Basically, if you love or even appreciate animals, you would never want to buy an import or do business with someone that deals with imports, and the article helps to show us why.
James Wilson
- Hopeful_Herper
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 105
- Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:08 pm
- Country:
- Location: Elk Grove, Ca
- James Wilson
- The Mentor

- Posts: 693
- Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:01 am
- Country:
- Location: San Diego, California
- scaredofbees
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 121
- Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:27 am
- Country: US
- Location: Pittsburgh
- Contact:
I had the extreme pleasure of speaking with James Wilson through email back in 2001 when I was just getting into blue tongue skinks. At the time, not much information was available on the different species and he correctly identified my adult irian jayan (which was sold to me as an eastern) as such. Though she is more than likely an import, she has always been a wonderful animal that I still own to this day.
[/img]
[/img]- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 348 guests

