Page 1 of 1
How do skinks shed skin?
Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:27 pm
by stephster575
This is the first time my skink has shed since I got her, and I never actually knew HOW they shed. She's shedding one scale at a time... Is this normal?? I'm giving her a bath to help get all the pieces off...
Thanks in advance!!

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:44 pm
by James Wilson
No worries, it is normal. Baths and soaks are an important part of my skink maintenance program. When my skinks start the shedding process I put them in a plastic container filled with 2 inches of luke warm water, and allow them to soak for anywhere from 15 minutes up to 2 hours. This helps loosen the old skin, and it saves me from having to clean the messy shed out of the cage. When soaking your blue-tongue, it is important to soak it in a container with a lid to prevent escape, and holes to allow for ventilation. When Blue-tongues are kept too dry, they often seem to be in a continual state of shed in that before they are finished with one shed, they begin another shed. This can cause shed to build up (especially in problem areas like toes and ears) and cause potential problems.
Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:59 pm
by stephster575
Wow, thanks for all the info!!
I also have another question - how much do your blueys eat when you feed them? I feed my bluey twice a week, and she only eats a bite or so every time (less than a spoonful). She is a good weight though, although she has dropped 15 or so grams.
(I brought her to the exotics vet a couple months ago and they said she was healthy)
Thanks!!

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:45 pm
by James Wilson
They love varity and it is good to switch it up as they can be picky at times. Crickits will always get a baby excited.
Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:56 am
by xxmonitorlizardxx
If its losing weight although your feeding it. It may have parasites.