Thanks in advance!!
How do skinks shed skin?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
stephster575
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 13
- Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:55 am
- Country:
How do skinks shed skin?
This is the first time my skink has shed since I got her, and I never actually knew HOW they shed. She's shedding one scale at a time... Is this normal?? I'm giving her a bath to help get all the pieces off...
Thanks in advance!!
Thanks in advance!!
I LOVE animals~! <3
- James Wilson
- The Mentor

- Posts: 693
- Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:01 am
- Country:
- Location: San Diego, California
No worries, it is normal. Baths and soaks are an important part of my skink maintenance program. When my skinks start the shedding process I put them in a plastic container filled with 2 inches of luke warm water, and allow them to soak for anywhere from 15 minutes up to 2 hours. This helps loosen the old skin, and it saves me from having to clean the messy shed out of the cage. When soaking your blue-tongue, it is important to soak it in a container with a lid to prevent escape, and holes to allow for ventilation. When Blue-tongues are kept too dry, they often seem to be in a continual state of shed in that before they are finished with one shed, they begin another shed. This can cause shed to build up (especially in problem areas like toes and ears) and cause potential problems.
James Wilson
-
stephster575
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 13
- Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:55 am
- Country:
Wow, thanks for all the info!!
I also have another question - how much do your blueys eat when you feed them? I feed my bluey twice a week, and she only eats a bite or so every time (less than a spoonful). She is a good weight though, although she has dropped 15 or so grams.
(I brought her to the exotics vet a couple months ago and they said she was healthy)
Thanks!!
I also have another question - how much do your blueys eat when you feed them? I feed my bluey twice a week, and she only eats a bite or so every time (less than a spoonful). She is a good weight though, although she has dropped 15 or so grams.
(I brought her to the exotics vet a couple months ago and they said she was healthy)
Thanks!!
I LOVE animals~! <3
- James Wilson
- The Mentor

- Posts: 693
- Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:01 am
- Country:
- Location: San Diego, California
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 256 guests
