Sterilite Tub Enclosure Idea

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
KidBluey
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:43 am
Country: USA
Location: Ohio

Sterilite Tub Enclosure Idea

Postby KidBluey » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:59 pm

I've still been searching for enclosures for the Bluey I'm getting soon and now, I think I've found the perfect enclosure. I found sterilite tubs at Walmart that measure 42"Lx22"Wx18"H. I was going to cut out a rectangle on the lid of the tub and on the side of the tub using a scoring knife so my Bluey can see from the top and the side and I was going to use fiberglass screen to cover the parts I cut out. What do you guys think of this option?
User avatar
blackmailchan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:16 pm
Country:
Location: Over the rainbow
Contact:

Postby blackmailchan » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:34 pm

According to my math, that's about 72 gallons! I didn't know you could get tubs that big! The size is fine, and as long as your Bluey can see out of it, you can get a good tempurature gradient and put everything he needs in there, I think it's a perfect idea.
User avatar
Coomassie
The Inked Chemist
The Inked Chemist
Posts: 1826
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
Country:
Location: Newark, DE

Postby Coomassie » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:25 am

Sterilite definitely gets that big. I have my tortoise in a 125 gal. sterilite container.
Cay T.
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Re: Sterilite Tub Enclosure Idea

Postby El Lobo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:54 am

KidBluey wrote:I've still been searching for enclosures for the Bluey I'm getting soon and now, I think I've found the perfect enclosure. I found sterilite tubs at Walmart that measure 42"Lx22"Wx18"H. I was going to cut out a rectangle on the lid of the tub and on the side of the tub using a scoring knife so my Bluey can see from the top and the side and I was going to use fiberglass screen to cover the parts I cut out. What do you guys think of this option?


What attributes do you think make this "the perfect enclosure"?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Re: Sterilite Tub Enclosure Idea

Postby El Lobo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:55 am

KidBluey wrote:I've still been searching for enclosures for the Bluey I'm getting soon and now, I think I've found the perfect enclosure. I found sterilite tubs at Walmart that measure 42"Lx22"Wx18"H. I was going to cut out a rectangle on the lid of the tub and on the side of the tub using a scoring knife so my Bluey can see from the top and the side and I was going to use fiberglass screen to cover the parts I cut out. What do you guys think of this option?


What attributes do you think make this "the perfect enclosure"?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
KidBluey
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:43 am
Country: USA
Location: Ohio

Postby KidBluey » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:49 am

El Lobo wrote:
KidBluey wrote:I've still been searching for enclosures for the Bluey I'm getting soon and now, I think I've found the perfect enclosure. I found sterilite tubs at Walmart that measure 42"Lx22"Wx18"H. I was going to cut out a rectangle on the lid of the tub and on the side of the tub using a scoring knife so my Bluey can see from the top and the side and I was going to use fiberglass screen to cover the parts I cut out. What do you guys think of this option?


What attributes do you think make this "the perfect enclosure"?
When I say "perfect", I'm not only talking about it's size, but I'm also talking about the price. It's only like $18 at Walmart and since I'm still looking for a job at the moment, this will have to do for now.
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Postby Bird_Brain » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:59 pm

KidBluey wrote:
El Lobo wrote:What attributes do you think make this "the perfect enclosure"?
When I say "perfect", I'm not only talking about it's size, but I'm also talking about the price. It's only like $18 at Walmart and since I'm still looking for a job at the moment, this will have to do for now.


And it will work perfectly ;)
Brad
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:16 pm

There are lots of things to consider in addition to price when choosing an enclosure. Make sure you can achieve the correct temperatures, give the bluey enough space, adequate hides etc. People have divided opinions on whether or not tubs are suitable enclosures, so do a search on old threads, research the pros and cons and decide if it is something you are ok with.

Just a word of caution (I know I'm like a broken record on this subject! :wink: ) - if price is that important, it might be wise to wait until you are in a better situation financially before purchasing a pet. We see people come on here looking for medical advice because they cannot afford to take their pet to a vet, and it is really sad. In my opinion, if you aren't prepared to pay for vet costs (which generally don't arise, but can happen) then you shouldn't own it. Think about the animal's welfare as well as your financial situation and make sure you are meeting its needs as well as within your budget. "It will have to do" doesn't sound too good! :wink: They are generally very affordable / cheap to care for, but too many people get pets because they really want them when they can't actually afford them and if anything unexpected comes up it is the animal that suffers as a result.

I'm sure with all the research you have done you have considered this... but just something to be aware of! :D
User avatar
robere
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:28 am
Country:
Location: Kentucky

Postby robere » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:26 pm

Very well said Katrina..... :)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 239 guests