Roaches- Dead or alive?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
robere
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:28 am
Country:
Location: Kentucky

Roaches- Dead or alive?

Postby robere » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:09 am

I ordered some Dubia Roaches for Skeeter. She's a very good eater. Loves veggies and cat food. She's one year old now so I'm switching to dog food next grocery trip.
I have a couple snakes and anyone that owns snakes knows that they dont always eat when offered food, so I give the mouse to Skeeter. She goes nuts over mice. I don't want to feed her mice often because I don't want her to expect them.
My question. I dont want to ruin a good thing. I'm sure it's cool to watch a skink chase its prey and I'm sure it kicks in the natural instincts to hunt. Could this spoil her eating habits? If she really likes the chase and likes the roaches ( I dont know yet ) , could it spoil her to where she wont eat her dog food and greens? The obvious would be to kill the roaches first and mix them with her food but then like a lot of people, I'd enjoy watching her chase the roaches.
If feeding roaches, should I cut back on the dog food and just mix in enough to coat the veggies so she'll eat them? I've only got one BTS so I'm sure I'll have plenty of roaches. If I get too many I'll sell them or freeze them. Thanks for any advice.
User avatar
Coomassie
The Inked Chemist
The Inked Chemist
Posts: 1826
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
Country:
Location: Newark, DE

Postby Coomassie » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:04 pm

I always feed Coomassie live roaches. He needs the exercise. I feed a few bugs throughout the week (occassionally he gets superworms) and then he gets a big meal once a week. If you notice that Skeeter is eating less of her "big meal" then feed fewer roaches.
Cay T.
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:26 pm

Live! :D
User avatar
robere
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:28 am
Country:
Location: Kentucky

Postby robere » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:51 pm

Yeah , Got my roaches today. I Put them in a shallow glass tray so the roaches couldnt get out. It was big enough for the roaches to run around and bug enough for her to get halfway in a chase them. That way they couldnt get out in the cage.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 240 guests