Page 1 of 1

unexpected baby Northerns!

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 pm
by Texasgirl
While gardening this Spring, I left my blueys unattended for what I thought was a very short period of time. After all, how fast can those short little legs sprint? Well, turns out that male blueys can be quite fast and quite persistent when they choose to be. I caught them just a little too late. :roll: Yesterday, my kids and I came home to quite a shock! :shock: My female had given birth to 4 babies and had 2 more as we watched. I had deemed it too late in the season for her to give birth (as we live in Texas) and had already been teasing her about the need for some serious dieting. :oops:
Now, I am need of advice. I have one runt who isn't eager to eat. He did consume all of the afterbirth (with a bit of persuasion) but didn't seem interested in food today. The rest of them got the hang of it with a little persuasion but this little one is totally stressing me out---because my kids are now deeming it their collective favorite. I am consulting the caresheet on this site for details but welcome any additional advice.

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:24 pm
by blackmailchan
Did you try live food? Usually that sparks interest more than anything. If that doesn't work then it's possible the baby is still uncomfortable with it's surroundings.

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:28 pm
by Fatal_S
One of the more experienced members fed scrambled eggs, try that?

wow, thanks!

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:09 pm
by Texasgirl
I thought about live prey. Was going to check for small wax worms (do I worry about addiction?) or small crickets (minus back legs?) What type of live prey do you suggest? Fortunately, I have so many extra tanks and so few babies that I have her alone and don't need to worry about littermates attacking her. I plan to wait on live prey for the others til they are alone or in their new homes.
Eggs were on the menu for tomorrow. She seemed interested in banana so I might resort to flavoring a higher protein with that. Any chance she isn't very hungry yet---as that seemed like alot of afterbirth (yesterday late afternoon) for something so small.

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:47 pm
by Fatal_S
I would definitely try the eggs, since those are naturally full of good stuff to make baby chickens.

Normally, the afterbirth alone is enough for a baby to survive brumating for the winter, so it's great that was eaten.

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:32 pm
by James Wilson
Try crickits and seperate him from the others.

thanks & another question (or two or three...)

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:51 am
by Texasgirl
OK, headed to the grocery store and pet store (again!) The advice and encouragement are much appreciated. I never dreamed 6 little lizards would be such a big responsibility. My non-herp friends don't quite understand how much these guys mean to my family.
Another question. How much handling is allowed? I have three very involved kids who would hold them all day long if permitted. I have only been handling the babies to encouraging feeding---as I don't want them to burn calories or get stressed by non-essentials. But, of course, my "little helpers" are waiting in the wing. :oops:
One more question. I have separated the litter into three 10 gallon tanks---the little one, the 2 independent eaters, and the last 3. I have more tanks that I can collect when warranted. I know I need to separate them by about their first real shed or when they show aggression towards one another. How long do I probably have---a week, 2 weeks? (Only the runt will get live prey so that won't be the issue.)

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:34 am
by Jeff
As long as you take into account that new babies are a little "fragile" for young kids to handle, I wouldn't worry too much about handling them too much. You just need to be careful that they don't get dropped/squished/broken.

It is safest to separate them as soon as possible. I have never had an issue in the first 2-3 weeks, but that doesn't mean it's not possible. The problem is, you won't know they have been together too long until it's too late, and that usually means a dead, or a badly mangled baby.

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:25 pm
by James Wilson
If you have a runt in the litter, you should seperate him. The "runts" are often totally dominated psychologically right from the start by the other larger siblings. They will not eat or even move much due to the fear of drawing the unwanted attention of the larger siblings that could lead to actual physical attacks. I would strongly urge you to seperate him from them right away.

things going much better!!!!

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:54 pm
by Texasgirl
My littlest one is eating! OK, she prefers to eat off a finger or baby spoon but this afternoon, she ate on her own. She was interested in the egg but didn't eat much. Licked some kiwi but it is (thankfully) the new brand of cat food that she likes. Tried Iams at first but Wellness seems to be more popular---and it seems to be what my "now skinny" mom likes anyhow. Oh, the baby cricket was out of her league! I could have mangled it a bit to slow it down but catfood is way easier.
Other responses:
My little runt has had her own tank from the minute she was born. I was a bit afraid that the mom might seek to "cull" her and I wanted her to eat her own afterbirth. She will never share a tank. As for the others, I have to set up three more tanks---which I plan to do early next week. That will make it easier to keep track of who has eaten, etc. I am a bit OCD... :oops:
My kids are 8-13 and very gentle. They only hold while I supervise but I am really limiting the amount of handling. I thought they would be jumpier and hissier but they are very calm and easy to hold. That being said, their poor little legs and toes are incredibly fine and I can't handle any accidents.

some neat things about new babies

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:05 pm
by Texasgirl
Their tongues are a dark cobalt blue. Very cute!:tongue:
Their poop (in great quantities) looks more like bird wastes than that from adult blueys.
The unfertilized ova look like chunks of raw chicken. Not cute---but yummy according to my momma bluey.
The newborn babies bite at their tails, feet, and each other when trying to eat the afterbirth. (Thank goodness we were there for the runt!)
The moms "protective" phase extends to the next day (even when the babies are removed.) Mine tried to bite me today! :?
The babies heads seem absolutely huge! Pictures don't do this justice.
The little ones bask within the first day or two. I figured they'd hide for a long time.
When startled, they flatten, arch sideways, and hiss---and it is so hard not to laugh because this is so precious! :wink:

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:59 am
by ssr
Congratulations on the babies. We would LOVE to see pictures :D .

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:28 am
by xxmonitorlizardxx
:deal: I dont believe you I need pictures...

pictures

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:06 pm
by Texasgirl
I almost have all 6 tanks set up. Need to buy 2 more heat lamp hoods then I am done!! Will post pictures of the nursery as it works well. I have been busy with a previous dog rescue commitment so will get pictures up in the next day or so.
All the babies are eating well so now I am wondering about when I should home them. I am not planning on shipping so they will have less stress. I want to wait at least two weeks (& more for runt.) I have never sold living things before. I will make caresheets & reference this site but I don't know about contracts, prices, etc. Suggestions much appreciated.

pictures

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:07 pm
by Texasgirl
I almost have all 6 tanks set up. Need to buy 2 more heat lamp hoods then I am done!! Will post pictures of the nursery as it works well. I have been busy with a previous dog rescue commitment so will get pictures up in the next day or so.
All the babies are eating well so now I am wondering about when I should home them. I am not planning on shipping so they will have less stress. I want to wait at least two weeks (& more for runt.) I have never sold living things before. I will make caresheets & reference this site but I don't know about contracts, prices, etc. Suggestions much appreciated.

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:28 pm
by Fatal_S
I can't wait to see pictures :D

Hmm, lets see. For a CBB Northern, price varies around $125-$200 without shipping. I'm planning around $150 a baby when I get some.

I like the idea of meeting/talking with prospective owners for a while. This'd give you a good idea of who they are. If they pick out the baby, maybe get a deposit and that skink is on hold while they get set up?

First thing the new owners need to know is a good tank setup. I'll personally hold my future babies for people until the new owners tank is ready to go.

You could also suggest they make accounts here to ask startup-questions, and later to post pictures.

Remember to tell the new owners a simple diet (dogfood/mixed with veggies/greens for example) to start with (they can expand from there) and to leave the skink alone for a week or two in the new tank until it settles in. Once the skink seems calm/curious/active in the new tank, handling is fine.

For contracts, the only thing that comes to mind is a right-of-first-refusal in the case the owner is going to sell/rehome it later. This just means they have to inform you first and you have the option to buy it back at a set price (original price or one agreed upon in the contract). If you don't want to, they can rehome it anywhere (you can give suggestions/aid in this case :))

Make sure to give them your contact information and to get theirs, and try to keep it up-to-date. Maybe ask for an update every once in a while?

This is the random things I can think of. Hope something helps. And again, pictures please :D

thanks

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:50 pm
by Texasgirl
I don't know if I will be able to sell for that much since I don't plan on shipping. We have only a little competition locally (including the Northern breeder my female came from) but I don't know how to advertise effectively. We have a local reptile show at the end of the month if all else fails.
I like your ideas of deposits til tanks are ready. I hate impulse buying and setting up. We kinda did that when the babies came. Of course, I temp gunned excessively and bought a million bulbs to swap out. :oops:
Everyone is eating well now (and producing about as much poop as beardies! :oops: ) It looks like everyone is about to shed. Should I keep them til shed 2---which is what I think Zach does--or wait a bit longer? Each skink has his/her own tank and my kids put homemade name tags on each tank. I am using old baby blankets and baby towels b/c they have smaller weaves--to avoid caught toes. They are handled daily and actually look out of the tanks with curiousity. I just figured they would hide all the time. One of them is colored like dad (a Zach) grandbaby but most are dark like mom. To most people, they would look the same, but my kids and I can spot the differences almost immediately. I will attempt to post pictures under a new thread. They are too cute not to share! :wink: