Page 1 of 1

One More New Skink

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:30 am
by Jeff
I am really not looking to acquire anymore skinks right now (except for one specific type of male northern I hope to get this year), but this was obviously one I could not pass up. The sequence of events that led up to this animal coming to me was a miracle. I am thrilled to add this totally unrelated bloodline to my eastern group. The estimated age on the skink is 10 years, and the gender is undetermined, although she looks female to me.

She has some minor MBD in her back, but it is not terribly bad. I will get lots of calcium into her and make a special point to get her as much outside time as possible. I hope to get her in tip top shape with some good condition on her in time to introduce her to one of my males (or females if she turns out to be a male) next spring.

Here are a few terrible pictures I took quickly. She is actually much prettier in person. Her colors look pretty drab in the pictures.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:37 am
by Katrina
Those are pretty gorgeous 'terrible'pictures!!!!

Just incredible luck that you got her... but things happen for a reason. She couldn't have ended up in a better home.

:woo: What a great step for the banded Easterns in North America. :D

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:39 am
by doss
Wow! Congrats.

That's one beautiful skink.

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:01 am
by critterguy
Wow Jeff, that is incredible. I wonder how many animals like that languish away in some cage unknown and unappreciated until when the candle stops flickering the last of a whole line of animals in the US is no more. She looks remarkably similar to your others and I can only wonder her history. I'm sure she'll contribute much needed diversity to US stock.

I hope you are able to produce lots of these and get them established!

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:16 am
by Alioop
:shock: I'm trying so hard not to hate you Jeff, but you just keep making it harder and harder and HARDER! :shakefist: She is SPECTACULAR. More pictures soon please!!!!

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:33 am
by WanderingChai
:shock: Wow. :shock: She is amazing!!!

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:48 am
by James Wilson
Sweet! I am going with female as well. But I could be totally wrong.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:27 am
by Nae
Her patterns are awesome! Lucky~!

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:37 am
by realis88
good skink
kadal yang sangat bagus (indonesian language) lol..

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:51 am
by bruno
I like her/him Jeff. very Classic eastern, like me 2 females.

I still need a male.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:19 pm
by mark_w
Jeff how did you manage that? Looks good. Compared to mine, which I think might all be female, I'd say male but I wouldn't put money on it. I'd like to get a seperate bloodline I know that! Yours looks EXACTLY the same as one of mine, with the little orangey portholes. Very well done my friend...

Mark.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:00 pm
by Bird_Brain
Wow Jeff! Absolutely beautiful! Did you manage to find her in the US or did you have to import?

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:09 pm
by reaperreptiles
congrats! She is soo cute :D love the colors

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:23 pm
by Jeff
Thanks everyone. She is a really great skink. On top of being incredibly important to the effort to re-establish eye banded easterns in the U.S., she is also the calmest and gentlest skink I have ever seen. She has been living in the U.S. for her entire life. To make a long story short, I got EXTREMELY lucky. I still can't believe the sequence of events that led up to this skink being here.

I just can't wait to see if we can produce some awesome babies next year!

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:41 pm
by Ectothermicfauna
Alioop wrote::shock: I'm trying so hard not to hate you Jeff, but you just keep making it harder and harder and HARDER! :shakefist: She is SPECTACULAR. More pictures soon please!!!!


I know right?! Thats what i said when i saw the beauty on his website. I am so jealous of you guys and your easterns... pine pine pine....

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:01 pm
by Zach
Jeff wrote:Thanks everyone. She is a really great skink. On top of being incredibly important to the effort to re-establish eye banded easterns in the U.S., she is also the calmest and gentlest skink I have ever seen. She has been living in the U.S. for her entire life. To make a long story short, I got EXTREMELY lucky. I still can't believe the sequence of events that led up to this skink being here.

I just can't wait to see if we can produce some awesome babies next year!




Congrats!! I want to hear this amazing sequence of events!

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:03 pm
by Richard.C
has a very girly looking noggin jeff,looks like a classic south eastern australian eastern,and just one more last skink never ends,its like fishing,ok just one more cast,ok 1 more,just 1 more cast,lol

<<<<<<<<<<<<<fellow skinkaholic

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:15 pm
by JoshChimera
Nice Eastern! I have always admired the bands behand the eyes on these skinks.

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:45 pm
by Scotts1au
Wow Jeff, I would expect to find something looking like that on the road anywhere from Melbourne to Sydney. Nice pickup.