The Crazy Things We Do For Love
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Coomassie
- The Inked Chemist

- Posts: 1826
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: Newark, DE
The Crazy Things We Do For Love
So a few months back, some of us had a conversation about a pelleted diet from Australia designed especially for BTS. I special ordered it to give it a try and Coomassie LOVED it. He actually started refusing other food, waiting for us to give him this food (we have termed it his "crunchies". It is now a primary staple in his diet. I realized we were running low since he primarily eats his crunchies and bugs (roaches and superworms). The good news is he is doing great. He is growing and is super healthy. The other good news is it has come down in price so it is only about $30 to have it shipped to my apartment. However, I'm getting a lot of funny looks when I tell people I special order my skink food from Australia. In an attempt to make me feel a little less crazy, what are the crazy things you do for your skink?
Cay T.
- doss
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 80
- Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:17 pm
- Country:
- Location: DFW TX
Darn! I'm already poor enough. But now after seeing this, I'll HAVE to try this food
Anyway, this will sound kind of crazy... Littlefoot used to be a very picky eater (definitely not so anymore). But it stressed me out so bad, especially when he was a baby. Anyway, I got kind of desperate at one point, and I sat him down on a table with his food on a plate in front of him. Then I would kneel at eye level so we were face to face. I would take little spoonfuls of his food, and eat them in front of him.
The best part was this did the trick! When he saw me eating the food, he dug in. When I did this, I could get him to eat anything I wanted him to. So for about a year and half, I shared meals with Littlefoot at the dinner table every single feeding.
Anyway, this will sound kind of crazy... Littlefoot used to be a very picky eater (definitely not so anymore). But it stressed me out so bad, especially when he was a baby. Anyway, I got kind of desperate at one point, and I sat him down on a table with his food on a plate in front of him. Then I would kneel at eye level so we were face to face. I would take little spoonfuls of his food, and eat them in front of him.
The best part was this did the trick! When he saw me eating the food, he dug in. When I did this, I could get him to eat anything I wanted him to. So for about a year and half, I shared meals with Littlefoot at the dinner table every single feeding.
Gary
---
Wednesday Vegetarian
---
Wednesday Vegetarian
- Lauriek
- Bluey Devotee

- Posts: 1918
- Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:51 am
- Country:
- Location: Melbourne, Australia
This concerns me somewhat, that you are feeding Coomassie on pelleted skink food. Hmmm
My suggestion would be to use it occassionally. They don't have pelleted skink food in the wild. In their natural environment they will eat what they can when they can. I haven't sourced pelleted skink food in Aust. and I live in Australia. Blueys have distinct personalities and develop likes and dislikes in food, especially when there's large amounts of it around, namely from us bluey owners. A balanced diet is what is aimed for.
I shall investigate 'pelleted skink food'.
My suggestion would be to use it occassionally. They don't have pelleted skink food in the wild. In their natural environment they will eat what they can when they can. I haven't sourced pelleted skink food in Aust. and I live in Australia. Blueys have distinct personalities and develop likes and dislikes in food, especially when there's large amounts of it around, namely from us bluey owners. A balanced diet is what is aimed for.
I shall investigate 'pelleted skink food'.
Laurie & A Band O' Blotchies - Bliss (RIP). Barnum the Old Blotchie. Binti, the rescued Blotchie. The Shingles - Solomon & Sheba (Miss Houdini)
Be humble, because you are made of the Earth. Be noble, because you are made of the Stars. - Serbian proverb.
Be humble, because you are made of the Earth. Be noble, because you are made of the Stars. - Serbian proverb.
- blackmailchan
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 59
- Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:16 pm
- Country:
- Location: Over the rainbow
- Contact:
I think one of the worst things I ever did was tear the back legs off of a cricket... (shudder)
Crickets are such vile things and I used to not be able to even touch them. Then after research and learning that their ovipositor does not sting and their mouths will not bite, I could finally hold them.
When Roosevelt was getting a little medicine injection from his abscess, ( which by the way is entirely gone, Every time he shed it seemed to disappear more and more. ) he almost got the full amount but then he moved the syringe out of his mouth. That tiny bit left in the syringe, even though practically useless, was still part of his dosage. I took a cricket and tore off the back legs, spread the dose on the crickets stomach and fed it to Roosevelt. Even if I ripped the legs off with tweezers, I could still feel the vibrations of the tissue separating.. It was disgusting
Crickets are such vile things and I used to not be able to even touch them. Then after research and learning that their ovipositor does not sting and their mouths will not bite, I could finally hold them.
When Roosevelt was getting a little medicine injection from his abscess, ( which by the way is entirely gone, Every time he shed it seemed to disappear more and more. ) he almost got the full amount but then he moved the syringe out of his mouth. That tiny bit left in the syringe, even though practically useless, was still part of his dosage. I took a cricket and tore off the back legs, spread the dose on the crickets stomach and fed it to Roosevelt. Even if I ripped the legs off with tweezers, I could still feel the vibrations of the tissue separating.. It was disgusting
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Blackmailchan -
Good story!
Laurie - I agree with the likes and dislikes being developed by excess. I am kind of curious about the pelleted food though, could be good - do you have a link to the website?
The skink we just took in, Riff-Raff, was supposed to be an extremely picky eater. When the BF picked him up the previous owner was trying to list off all the foods that he would occasionally eat, but the BF didn't really pay attention as feeding is up to me (not his problem!). I just offered the same food mix as the others get weekly and after not eating too much the first week he has cleaned his plate every other feeding. I think they just fed too often and if he wasn't hungry he selectively picked out all his favorites leading them to believe he was really picky. Or else my skink cooking is just amazingly good.
Good story!
Laurie - I agree with the likes and dislikes being developed by excess. I am kind of curious about the pelleted food though, could be good - do you have a link to the website?
The skink we just took in, Riff-Raff, was supposed to be an extremely picky eater. When the BF picked him up the previous owner was trying to list off all the foods that he would occasionally eat, but the BF didn't really pay attention as feeding is up to me (not his problem!). I just offered the same food mix as the others get weekly and after not eating too much the first week he has cleaned his plate every other feeding. I think they just fed too often and if he wasn't hungry he selectively picked out all his favorites leading them to believe he was really picky. Or else my skink cooking is just amazingly good.

- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
Lauriek wrote:This concerns me somewhat, that you are feeding Coomassie on pelleted skink food. HmmmMy suggestion would be to use it occassionally. They don't have pelleted skink food in the wild. In their natural environment they will eat what they can when they can. I haven't sourced pelleted skink food in Aust. and I live in Australia. Blueys have distinct personalities and develop likes and dislikes in food, especially when there's large amounts of it around, namely from us bluey owners. A balanced diet is what is aimed for.
I shall investigate 'pelleted skink food'.
Most pelleted/kibbled foods are balanced diets and really dont need to be supplemented at all. I personally dont think there is any concern with using this diet. I guess I have the biggest issue with people stating that "skinks dont eat pelleted food in the wild" or they dont eat dog food in the wild. Are these really valid points seeing how, to my knowledge, NOBODY has really offered their skinks only wild growing plants of Australia, insects caught in their Australian lawn, the occasional carcass from a dead Australian animal, etc (or insert native country of said species). I have never heard of a wild skink eating cooked meats, chopped up collard greens, a dash of calcium powder, some banana, etc.
Brad
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
Katrina wrote:do you have a link to the website?
If I had to take a guess, it would be this:
http://www.vetafarm.com.au/products/LIZARD-FOOD.html
Brad
- doss
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 80
- Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:17 pm
- Country:
- Location: DFW TX
ReptileKing wrote:Most pelleted/kibbled foods are balanced diets and really dont need to be supplemented at all. I personally dont think there is any concern with using this diet. I guess I have the biggest issue with people stating that "skinks dont eat pelleted food in the wild" or they dont eat dog food in the wild. Are these really valid points seeing how, to my knowledge, NOBODY has really offered their skinks only wild growing plants of Australia, insects caught in their Australian lawn, the occasional carcass from a dead Australian animal, etc (or insert native country of said species). I have never heard of a wild skink eating cooked meats, chopped up collard greens, a dash of calcium powder, some banana, etc.
This is a very good point.
I haven't looked at this one yet, but there are certainly formulated diets out there that I trust a lot (for example, Mazuri).
Gary
---
Wednesday Vegetarian
---
Wednesday Vegetarian
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
Re: The Crazy Things We Do For Love
Coomassie wrote:So a few months back, some of us had a conversation about a pelleted diet from Australia designed especially for BTS. I special ordered it to give it a try and Coomassie LOVED it. He actually started refusing other food, waiting for us to give him this food (we have termed it his "crunchies". It is now a primary staple in his diet. I realized we were running low since he primarily eats his crunchies and bugs (roaches and superworms). The good news is he is doing great. He is growing and is super healthy. The other good news is it has come down in price so it is only about $30 to have it shipped to my apartment. However, I'm getting a lot of funny looks when I tell people I special order my skink food from Australia. In an attempt to make me feel a little less crazy, what are the crazy things you do for your skink?
I never did order any of these pellets. Too expensive to feed to my army of skinks. However, I have been supplementing my skinks diet with Mazuri Insectivore diet and am seeing great results as well. Most if not all eat them with no hesitation. I pay about $40 for a 40# bag of this diet, much cheaper than the Vetafarm diet.
Brad
- doss
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 80
- Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:17 pm
- Country:
- Location: DFW TX
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
doss wrote:I've been supplementing for a couple of years with Mazuri Insectivore, Mazuri Omnivore, and a tiny bit of Mazuri Tortoise since I have so much of it on hand. They just help to vary the diet a bit, and the skinks seem to do well on this.
If I remember correctly, the omnivore diet is pretty large pellets. How do you feed these? I would like to feed this as well as the insectivore, but didnt know how to feed other than to crush it. I love the insectivore diet because of its small pellets.
Brad
- doss
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 80
- Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:17 pm
- Country:
- Location: DFW TX
ReptileKing wrote:If I remember correctly, the omnivore diet is pretty large pellets. How do you feed these? I would like to feed this as well as the insectivore, but didnt know how to feed other than to crush it. I love the insectivore diet because of its small pellets.
That's right, they are pretty large - the largest of the three Mazuri diets I mentioned by far. I soak these for a little while in warmish water so that they get a little bit soft but still retain their form. This makes it very easy for the blueys to eat, and they really love this stuff.
For the pink tongues, I have to moisten and crush.
Gary
---
Wednesday Vegetarian
---
Wednesday Vegetarian
- Coomassie
- The Inked Chemist

- Posts: 1826
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: Newark, DE
Yes, Brad is right about the food I'm using. Having just one skinker, the 350 g bottle lasts me nearly 6 months. Since I only have one, I had problems with stuff like dog food going bad. Coomassie also gets lots of bugs gutloaded with greens and calcium. I do occasionally still invest in dog food and greens but he actually seems to be doing better on the pelleted diet. We feed him the bugs so he gets some exercise. We make him chase roaches around on the floor.
Cay T.
- El Lobo
- The Blotched Brigade

- Posts: 3405
- Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
- Country:
- Location: Blue Mountains Australia
I'm not a big fan of pellet food for any animal but I have used that Vetafarm pellet food only as a supplement to stretch out the protein. They wouldn't touch it at first but now eat it all enthusiastically. Mine only eat Australian food.
They never get dog or cat food.
As a contra to Coomassie, I feed my rabbits on imported American Timothy hay. Doing my bit for the balance of trade.
They never get dog or cat food.
As a contra to Coomassie, I feed my rabbits on imported American Timothy hay. Doing my bit for the balance of trade.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
- Scotts1au
- Great Scott

- Posts: 4362
- Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
- Country:
- Location: Central Victoria, Australia
- El Lobo
- The Blotched Brigade

- Posts: 3405
- Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
- Country:
- Location: Blue Mountains Australia
Scotts1au wrote:Norm do you only feed them native plants and native animals?
Native animals yes.
I would like to feed them native plants but I still don't know which they eat. The wildies are not too fussy either, they like to have a dig around our compost heap and raid our neighbour's strawberry patch.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
- Nae
- Forum Graphic Designer

- Posts: 1889
- Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 am
- Country:
- Location: Western Australia
ReptileKing wrote:Most pelleted/kibbled foods are balanced diets and really dont need to be supplemented at all. I personally dont think there is any concern with using this diet. I guess I have the biggest issue with people stating that "skinks dont eat pelleted food in the wild" or they dont eat dog food in the wild. Are these really valid points seeing how, to my knowledge, NOBODY has really offered their skinks only wild growing plants of Australia, insects caught in their Australian lawn, the occasional carcass from a dead Australian animal, etc (or insert native country of said species). I have never heard of a wild skink eating cooked meats, chopped up collard greens, a dash of calcium powder, some banana, etc.
I just have to put this out there. I have.
Although I do find it odd that Ive never seen reptile pellets from Australia whilst in Australia...Hmm
- Coomassie
- The Inked Chemist

- Posts: 1826
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: Newark, DE
- critterguy
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 702
- Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 am
- Country:
Their doesn't seem to be a whole lot different about that diet than many dog foods out there....the nutritional content is comparable to a lot of them. The relatively high fat content in this diet compared to some other lizard diets has got to be due to the "Tasmanian mutton bird oil". Its not completely off base as the various invertebrates BT skinks consume in the wild are probably decently fatty as well. Gotta love he promo video!
Again, this stuff seems very similar in ingredients to some of the higher end dry dog foods out there.
As for me, our car got stuck in a bit of a snowstorm and thus detoured to an 8 hour drive home in chilly weather. Billy, of course, slept under the layers of clothes I wore and was perhaps a little more comfy than me as we both dozed off.
Again, this stuff seems very similar in ingredients to some of the higher end dry dog foods out there.
As for me, our car got stuck in a bit of a snowstorm and thus detoured to an 8 hour drive home in chilly weather. Billy, of course, slept under the layers of clothes I wore and was perhaps a little more comfy than me as we both dozed off.
- doss
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 80
- Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:17 pm
- Country:
- Location: DFW TX
critterguy wrote:As for me, our car got stuck in a bit of a snowstorm and thus detoured to an 8 hour drive home in chilly weather. Billy, of course, slept under the layers of clothes I wore and was perhaps a little more comfy than me as we both dozed off.
Sounds like Billy is lucky to have you
Gary
---
Wednesday Vegetarian
---
Wednesday Vegetarian
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 270 guests
