Blue or pink ?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Deathreturns
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:59 pm
Country:

Blue or pink ?

Postby Deathreturns » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:26 am

hey all,

I've been looking for a baby bts everywhere and I'm not having much luck. There is a pet shop near me selling baby pts. Besides there size and tounge colour I'm not sure what the difference is (temperament etc). any information about what the differences are? or what I should do? Should I hold out for a bts or go get a pts immediately? :doh:
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:17 am

Jeff has some babies for sale last time I checked.
I don't know about pts care.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
doss
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:17 pm
Country:
Location: DFW TX

Postby doss » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:51 am

It can be somewhat difficult to get pts to eat anything other than snails - but it is definitely possible, especially if you acquire your skink as a baby. There is no definitive care guide for pts, but in general, it is said that they should be kept cooler than you would keep a bts. Ambient room temperature is usually sufficient, perhaps with a basking spot (which they may or may not use) or a heating pad to provide a gradient.

Pink tongues are usually docile if handled regularly, but maybe not in quite the same way as a blue tongue - they are much faster. They are much more active than blueys, and they will use any height you offer them for climbing as they are semi-arboreal. They also require a relatively high humidity in comparison to the blue tongues which daily misting of the substrate will take care of. In my short experience, they tend to drink from droplets when their enclosure is misted rather than drinking out of a water dish - but I have seen mine bathing in their dish once in a while.

For a long while, I could not get mine to eat anything until I offered snails (the preferred food in their natural habitat). I have since had luck with mealworms and other food items that I have scented with snails.

I'm sure I'll think of something to add later, but this gives an idea. Somebody else who keeps pink tongues might have something else to add to this or may want to correct some of my information. As I said, I have never found a definitive source of care information for pts, but mine seem to do well under these basic conditions.

Have any other specific questions, let me know.

In my personal opinion, however, I generally prefer keeping blue tongues a bit more. In fact, bts are my favorite reptiles I've ever kept.
Gary
---
Wednesday Vegetarian
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:55 pm

Great info, Doss! :D

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 141 guests