Page 1 of 1

Roaches

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:39 pm
by WeatherMan_Tom
anyone out there using roaches to feed? what kind of roaches are you using? Just want to know, cause I might get some, I think Felix would enjoy it!

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:50 pm
by Katrina
LOVE my discoids. Don't fly, don't climb, juvies are a perfect snack. Very healthy for blueys. Dubias are another popular feeder. :D

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:58 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
I'm trying to get some roaches of my own lol. I would recommend dubias and discoids. There is a place called ny worms.com I guess there in ny u could get them there because they are close or theroachranch.com,ebay(I find a suprisinglly large amount of people selling them here), and kingsnake.com

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:44 pm
by WeatherMan_Tom
Sweetness thanks

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:54 am
by Coomassie
Coomassie loves his dubias and they are super easy.

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:34 am
by SapphireTigress1
mine all love the dubias :)

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:40 pm
by JoshChimera
SapphireTigress1 wrote:mine all love the dubias :)

Same as my skink. Dubia are great and very easy to care for & feed.

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:02 pm
by Adalon
Dubias are fantastic! No doubt they are Adalon's favorite thing to chase and eat. A few days after getting him I bought a couple medium sized dubias and he's gone crazy for them ever since. Here's a tiny Adalon eating his first cockroaches ever :o:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTIO4ryTdXs


They are so much better than crickets/worms/mice to raise for feeding lizards, I'm surprised that they aren't more popular. Dubias in particular are the best for me as they have next to no smell, are completely silent and since they can't fly/jump/climb I don't worry about escapes. They also get big enough that a single adult can make for nearly a full meal. One downside I've found is that they mature into adults very slowly and if you are relying on having a steady supply of adults to feed you may be frustrated at how long it takes. I've been having bad luck with my colony's nymphs developing much at all and after 3 months or so, I've yet to actually raise my own full size adult from birth. I'm kind of guessing it's a humidity issue since I only spray them once a week and they need a bit of humidity to molt and grow.

Here's a pic of my colony from a couple days ago when I separated the nymphs and cleaned up their cage:

Image

*Not pictured but just off screen is a full grown skink going absolutely crazy inside of his tank after he heard me opening up the roach cage :lol:

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:14 pm
by doss
I use dubias, discoids, and hissers (usually nymphs or mid-sized). Never had any complaints from the skinks! :)

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:11 pm
by Anderous
this will be my first post here, i use Dubia for all my herps, the cheapest website ive ever found is buydubiaroaches.com . fantastic prices

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:14 pm
by doss
Anderous wrote:this will be my first post here, i use Dubia for all my herps, the cheapest website ive ever found is buydubiaroaches.com . fantastic prices


Howdy!

Also, I've used this website before as well, and it does indeed have good prices.

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:52 am
by herpgirl2510
Anderous thanks for the info their prices are great. My savannah wiped out my colony so I have to start over.

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:58 am
by xxmonitorlizardxx
herpgirl2510 wrote:Anderous thanks for the info their prices are great. My savannah wiped out my colony so I have to start over.
I wanna see that O_O
WOuld be awsome >:D

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:31 am
by Adalon
herpgirl2510 wrote:Anderous thanks for the info their prices are great. My savannah wiped out my colony so I have to start over.


This reminds me, I had a dream a couple weeks back that somehow my skink escaped and I couldn't find him anywhere for days and days. Then I went to check on the roaches only to find Adalon sitting in the cage looking like an inflated water balloon and an exhausted look on his face as he had eaten every roach and couldn't go to the potty without water. Very strange dream. :shock:

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:17 pm
by Anderous
your welcome, i searched a LOOOONG time to find that website, i just hated all the other prices for roaches out there.

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:02 am
by critterguy
I have a bunch of dubia roaches but can never seem to use them fast enough. My skink does enjoy killing them-but the wings/legs are a bit offputting if he's not particularly hungry.

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:44 pm
by Greg
I use dubia roaches as well. I've had a colony living in a tall garbage can in my office for years. My wife, who hates crickets and insects in general has no idea I keep them to feed the lizards. She thinks I buy them at Petco.

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:24 am
by xxmonitorlizardxx
O_O GREG IS BACK :banana: how's it been? How are the skinks? If you have enough roaches..would you be willing to sell any to me :D

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:32 pm
by Greg
xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:O_O GREG IS BACK :banana: how's it been? How are the skinks? If you have enough roaches..would you be willing to sell any to me :D


Since you are in NJ, I'd be willing to give them to you when I have too many. I recently thinned the colony, so it will need to build back up. Send me a PM and I'll let you know.