Eye bubbles?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
eegore
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:00 am
Country:

Eye bubbles?

Postby eegore » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:57 pm

I have noticed recently small bubbles coming out of Eegore's left eye. I noticed it today when he began eating, but I dont remember if he was eating last time. It is is lots of bubbles, and they end up covering his whole eye in like a coating of bubbles. Look kind of like spit, not discolored or mucus-like. Upon non-bubbled inspection, both eyes look fine and I notice no difference. Any idea what this is and if I should worry?
Will try to get a pic.
0.0.1 Irian Jaya - Eegore
0.0.2 Red Eared Sliders - Hocus and Pocus
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Postby Spindown » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:54 pm

I believe this can be a symptom of respiratory infection but I've never personally dealt with ri's in blueys
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
Alioop
Loopy De Loop
Loopy De Loop
Posts: 2648
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:37 pm
Country:
Location: Buffalo, NY

Postby Alioop » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:53 pm

This is a common symptom of RI's in blueys, though not sure if this by itself is a normal thing. Typically with an RI you will also see nasal discharge, hear crackling noises, etc. Do you know how low your nighttime temps get?
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Alie-

1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:39 pm

It could be that something was irritating the eye at the time, but it bears watching. Can you hear any unusual noises when he breaths? When my skinks have had RIs there's a wet, crackly noise when breathing, just like when a person has pneumonia. Nasal discharge is also a sign of an RI, as is lethargy. I would watch to see if it happens again.

If you think he may have an RI, he'll need to see a vet for medication, since RIs can be dangerous if not treated, but treatment is pretty simple IMO, so that's a good thing :) I also bumped up heat on any skink with an RI, so they had warmth 24/7 and couldn't really cool off much (some of the experienced members here suggested it, like inducing a fever), but that's for if you think/know there's an RI.
User avatar
eegore
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:00 am
Country:

Postby eegore » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:50 am

Alioop wrote:This is a common symptom of RI's in blueys, though not sure if this by itself is a normal thing. Typically with an RI you will also see nasal discharge, hear crackling noises, etc. Do you know how low your nighttime temps get?


Haven't noticed any nasal discharge (although I haven't really been looking). I also have not noticed any breathing sounds. I will pay extra close attention to both. He is not lethargic at all and my night temps don't get lower than 68-70 degrees Fahrenheit with 45-50% humidity.

Still working on a pic but haven't seen it happen again. We'll see when feed again tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice so far everyone.

UPDATE - I fed Eegore a grape and a Superworm and did nopt see any bubbles. He definately is not lethargic and does not have any nasal discharge. Upon listening carefully he does ocassionally sound like a quiet squeak toy when he breathes, but not always. Thoughts?
0.0.1 Irian Jaya - Eegore

0.0.2 Red Eared Sliders - Hocus and Pocus

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 329 guests