Page 1 of 1

Target training

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:03 am
by WanderingChai
Okay, I cannot believe this.

I watched a documentary about monitor lizards a few days ago, and one of the things they talked about was target training. They said that any lizard could do it, but monitors learn it the fastest. Today, I thought, "Why not?" So I took a large pen(which my dogs got a hold of and broke, so now it's just the outside) and broke up some pieces of dry cat food. I started by putting the pen in front of the food, so that she had to tap it to get to the food. After that I tapped it on her nose very lightly, then put the food in front of her. She caught on really quickly! :D After a while she started taking a few steps toward the pen and giving it a tap. We went like this until she was full. I found it amazing that she caught on in less than 10 minutes. Does anyone else here do target training? I am super exited. :ohyes:

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:36 pm
by Musoke
That's really cool! You should make a video. =)

Skinks are smart! =D

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:27 pm
by critterguy
They seem plenty smart enough to make the connection but frequently are not motivated enough. I've tried it for a few months(using superworms which he only gets after touching the target). Response varies from half hearted eyeing if full to running from across the tank if hungry.

However-I can't stop mine from simply attacking the target(round wooden ball tied to a chopstick) despite continual efforts to get him to simply walk up and touch it consistently...seems to be the natural tendency. It might help if I used something besides superworms as a treat.

Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:30 am
by WanderingChai
Musoke- Once I have a better quality video camera I will! :D

Critterguy, Thanks for your insight! My skink hasn't tried to attack it. Maybe because your target is moving more in the air it seems like a threat? :noknow:

Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:54 pm
by critterguy
WC: No-not a threat. He's basically trying to eat it. However-BTS do have a particular liking for round things(eggs for example) so perhaps it'd be better to use a different target.

Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:42 pm
by WanderingChai
CG- Good idea. Maybe try something like just the chopstick?

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:03 pm
by critterguy
Btw-I just watched that documentary...lizard kings. Quite impressive system they have there. I'd expect BTS to be able to accomplish the task set forth by the psychologist in the lab experiments.

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:04 pm
by smsararas2
Would love to see a video of your target training. I am interested to see it.

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:37 pm
by JoshChimera
There is another thread that covers this topic. :) I remember it well.

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:57 pm
by WanderingChai
Thanks guys!
Critterguy, it is quite interesting! I liked it.
smsararas2, I would love to get a video! I'm going to try to find my video camera now. :D

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:18 pm
by WanderingChai
I just made a video! I'll post it as soon as I could.