does anyone have a head comparison for "visual" se

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
SapphireTigress1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:58 pm
Country:
Location: Tacoma, Washington USA

does anyone have a head comparison for "visual" se

Postby SapphireTigress1 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:10 pm

does anyone have a head comparison for "visual" sexing?

I'm starting to see differences but i'd love to see if anyone had head shots to compare. or at least a picture with arrows showing where the differences are.
thanks :)
iherp!
http://www.iherp.com/SapphireTigress
0.1.2 Blue Tongued Skinks (Creep, New Merauke; Baneling, I.J.; Zergling, Indo)
1.0 Ball python (Boros, Wild type)
2.1 Kenyan Sand Boas (Trickr, Anery het Paradox; Cotton, Albino het Anery; Candy, Albino het Anery)
1.0 Crested Gecko (Harley, Choco/Cream)
User avatar
reaperreptiles
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 1:10 pm
Country:
Location: Hephzibah, GA

Postby reaperreptiles » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:41 pm

Yes, I agree. I would love to see some visual differences in sexes. Come on guys! Post up the pics:)
User avatar
reaperreptiles
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 1:10 pm
Country:
Location: Hephzibah, GA

Postby reaperreptiles » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:21 pm

The skink on the left is my female caramel northern. The one on the right is a possible male (but still unsure)

the female is 1 year old and the male is 9 months old.

Image
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Postby Linnea » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:39 pm

wow reaper, that was a great pic.

Now, if you find out thats a male for sure, post and say it, cause the headshape on Litchie is exactly the same xD
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Postby Bird_Brain » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:46 pm

From my experience, head shape and sexing do not go together. I think it is very near impossible to get accurate results with sexing bts by head shape.
Brad
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:59 pm

I'm with Brad on this, here's some head-shots of most of my Northerns:
Males:
Clue:
Image
Image
Wasp:
Image
Image
Jenga:
Image
Image

Females:
Fluke:
Image
Image
Trouble:
Image
Image
Evita:
Image
Image
Hank:
Image
Image

Missing are my two males, Pryce and Skids. I'll add them tomorrow.

Clue, Trouble, Fluke and Wasp are all 4, from Andrew Seike, and spent their first year with me on what I now consider to be a piss-poor diet, so they're smaller and this could affect their headshapes. But really I can't see any correlation between headshape and gender. I do see a lot of difference in body-shape in most well-fed adult skinks, so that's what I use for my guesses, though I still consider it to be a big guess.

These pictures are pretty bad too. Unfortunately I can't put my skinks together, they're all really grumpy right now.
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:00 pm

ReptileKing wrote:From my experience, head shape and sexing do not go together. I think it is very near impossible to get accurate results with sexing bts by head shape.


:nod: Same here. Like I said in another thread (and most know already!), the seller we first got blueys from sexed by this method. We have a boy named Kira and a girl named Jaxon. :lol:
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Postby Jeff » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:21 am

I would just add that occasionally you will see a head that is SO wide and triangular that it is almost certainly a male. However, if the head is anything less than "unbelievably massive" (which includes 99% of all BTS heads), then it is useless for sexing. If you have a number of known genders to compare it to side by side in person, you can sometimes use the head along with several other attributes IF they all seem to indicate the same gender.

There really is no sure fire way to sex a BTS visually. I have met 4 people that are very good at it, but everyone of them has over 25 years of experience with hundreds, actually probably thousands of skinks. That is what you need in order to sex them visually.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:32 pm

These are good photos though... we have a visual sexing thread in the Advanced Discussion Forum for Meraukes and Blotchies - we should start one for Northerns.

Even if head size isn't a reliable method, there are other visual indicators of sex that are much more reliable... and obviously none of us are experts like Ray or Andrew (and some skinks are very, very difficult to sex visually), but I'm sure we can all learn from it.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 186 guests