Page 1 of 1

How long can food be left out?

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:05 am
by StaceyLeigh
Our new bluey takes his time getting to his food! I ususally put the food in the tank in the morning between 10:30-11am, but Thor doesn't come out to eat until 2 or 3pm is this too ling for the food to be sitting there? should I feed later. Also he is sleeping alot! Burrows under the aspen about 9pm, doesn't come out again until 2pm or so next day? Just a lazy little guy? :roll:

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:32 pm
by Linnea
If the salad looks bad then replace it. Salad is best fresh....even if the skink will eat it all dried up lol. But thats just my common knowledge of always being careful with veggies.....im not sure if its bad for them?

put the food on the cool side so it will stay better for a little longer? if he doesnt eat it in the morning you could put it in the fridge for a while before you have to leave?



Some BTS like to be lazy, especially while in the cage, if i understand it correctly. My BTS Litchie is only outside his hide from 6 in the morning till 10, and then goes back to hide. and when in shed i dont see him unless i feed him.

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:50 pm
by Alioop
I don't believe there is any known negative effects of blueys eating dogfood/greens/etc that were left out. I know some folks will leave food in there for days. One of the easterns will only eat a very small amount at a time, so I usually leave his in at least 24hrs. They do eat carrion out in the wild so I'm sure their tummies are pretty tough.

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:56 pm
by Katrina
All sounds normal. :nod: Burrowing / hiding is normal. What Ali said. :D

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:30 pm
by StaceyLeigh
Thanks all. Here is a new picture of him on his basking rock.
Image

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:23 pm
by Zach
Yep, we leave our food in there all day sometimes, we often see them nibbling throughout the day actually...if it starts to smell from rotting, then perhaps it might be a good idea to remove it. ;)

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:35 am
by nakerz_loves_bts
It depends on what the food is and temps. For my 2 (easterns) I usually leave the food in there for between 6 hours and 2 days. Again, it all depends on what your feeding and where in the enclosure it is.