Page 1 of 1
Bleeding under scales? (Pictures) Please help!
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:54 am
by BuddhaBaby
It's occurred on and off. I went to the vet and she said he is nice and fat and healthy, and bright. No questions were answered, she said he might have just cut himself in his cage but that doesn't make sense, since most of the blood is UNDER his scales? The large scale on the top is a scar from when it happened before, that scale actually fell off and hasn't grown back properly. There are no mites, I've checked again and again over a month, not one mite. I've dealt with them before, so I know for sure. He isn't lethargic or anything, he's just as inquisitive. I waited a little while to see if he'd shed it out, but it'll disappear after a shed, then come back? What is this? A disease? The blood is currently dried and darkened under his scales, I believe. You can see the darker patches compared to the rest of the scales on his head. Pictures:
http://i54.tinypic.com/1pfbch.jpg http://i56.tinypic.com/vpxmk4.jpg http://i51.tinypic.com/308lb9w.jpg http://i54.tinypic.com/2nb9d7t.jpg
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:46 pm
by shownuff
Looks like its ruff when shedding. Or its scratching its head against some really ruff. From the pictures I can't see really bad bleeding. I have a super amoled screen. I best bet is to find a really good vet that deals more with exotic pets. And get it checked out. Better safe than sorry.
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:57 pm
by Katrina
I don't see anything wrong. Are you concerned about dark coloration, or is it actually blood? Are you sure it is dried blood? Some darker pattern around / under scales is normal.
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:18 pm
by Alioop
I stuck the photo into photoshop and zoomed in on it and I think I can see what Buddha is talking about. The top one looks kind of like blood, but its hard to tell from the photo and could def still just be the coloration of the scales.

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:35 pm
by BuddhaBaby
Katrina wrote:I don't see anything wrong. Are you concerned about dark coloration, or is it actually blood? Are you sure it is dried blood? Some darker pattern around / under scales is normal.
No, where the darker spots are it used to be bright red blood, and sometimes it'd come up through the scales and break off his scales. It did this thing where it bled, dried/darkened, then bled again.
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:35 pm
by BuddhaBaby
Alioop wrote:I stuck the photo into photoshop and zoomed in on it and I think I can see what Buddha is talking about. The top one looks kind of like blood, but its hard to tell from the photo and could def still just be the coloration of the scales.

He used to have just one solid color on his head. And where the darker spots are it used to be bright red blood, and sometimes it'd come up through the scales and break off his scales. It did this thing where it bled, dried/darkened, then bled again.
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:49 pm
by zakkhogan
what type of hides do you have? and what substrate do you use?
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:14 pm
by Scotts1au
Look like he has been pushing under a hide, rocks or similar. You should see what some of mine do to themselves when hunting for bugs under rocks in my outdoor enclosure.
Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:19 am
by BuddhaBaby
zakkhogan wrote:what type of hides do you have? and what substrate do you use?
I use aspen, he's in a 100 gallon and has a large branch, plant decor, two large log hides, 1 large bamboo hide, and 1 of these:
http://www.rainforestsupplies.co.uk/lrf ... e_Cave.jpg
Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:31 am
by nakerz_loves_bts
What do you use for heat? I have had my biggest male eastern do this when he rubbed on the heat rock when it was on. Needless to say, its off now.
Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:39 am
by BuddhaBaby
nakerz_loves_bts wrote:What do you use for heat? I have had my biggest male eastern do this when he rubbed on the heat rock when it was on. Needless to say, its off now.
Two lamps that are too high for him to reach.
Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:45 am
by BuddhaBaby
Ughh, see? It's bleeding again! But it's UNDER his scale, because i rubbed it with a baby wipe and there wasn't an ounce of pink or red. I'm concerned because it's always in the exact shape spot and shape as where his dark spots are, it's never any different (which is why I don't think he's getting hurt from hides). See?:
http://i53.tinypic.com/29p2e0z.jpg
But the vet said there's nothing wrong with him... I'm just afraid he's sick or something.
Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:04 am
by Nae
Hmmm...Sorry I cant offer anything constructive other then to say this is really, really odd... All I could really recommend is perhaps seeing another vet?
Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:31 pm
by Musoke
Oh man... I'd try another vet! That looks scary.

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:02 pm
by Lea
I have emailed the picture to my vet, he's really great and probably will take a good look and get back to me this week. If you can find another vet in the meantime, that would be great, don't delay, it looks like there may be infection under those scales.
Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:48 pm
by BuddhaBaby
LeaBilby wrote:I have emailed the picture to my vet, he's really great and probably will take a good look and get back to me this week. If you can find another vet in the meantime, that would be great, don't delay, it looks like there may be infection under those scales.
Ugh, thank you so much! Could I PM you my email so you can contact me there when he does reply? The only other vet is about 45 min away, but I will definitely go there Monday and have them check.
Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:05 am
by Lea
No problem. Mine is public on here anyway, but for your reference, if you have further queries before that: angelmuycaliente@aol.com
Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:51 pm
by Lea
I had an email from my vet this morning, in response to sending him the photograph. I would say from your descriptions, it most likely fits the infectious scenario, so treatment for this is needed with medications.
I hope this information helps. I have copied the extract of his suggestions below:
Lea
" Are the blood spots localised to one area? If yes and short term duration then may be related to trauma - rupture of vessels below scales. I would expect that this would resolve over time following ecdysis.
- If the spots are of a longer duration then I suspect an infectious process may be involved. Bacterial or fungal would be most likely culprits and both are difficult to get on top of. I would be trying iodine scrub combined with miconazole or an over the counter topical fungal medication. Bacterial infection would require a visit to a vet to get Baytril or Clav, neither of which will be particularly effective as it is difficult to get effective levels of antibiotic in reptile scales.
- Other possibilities include blisters/localised abscess/bleeding disorder leading to petechial haemorrhages."
(Many thanks to Birdwood Veterinary Clinic, South Australia, for their ongoing support.)