Feeding a skink

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Kelvin W
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Feeding a skink

Postby Kelvin W » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:04 pm

Hello every one I'm new to this site and have had my bluey for nearly a month at the min I am feeding on crickets and lokies but have heard a few people saying you can feed them meats and other subs to live food is this ok to do? If so what could I use and could some of it be beneficial.
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics

Postby Fatal_S » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:19 pm

Crickets aren't the best food IMO, and I don't know what a lockie is.

Anyways, check out the caresheet for lots of feeding options. IMO the best food is probably dogfood (I'm using Pedigree Beef and it's working great so far) because it's pre-balanced with nutrients. A BTS needs meat and veggies/greens, along with some fruits (makes a great treat). My meals tend to be veggies and/or greens mixed into dogfood, sometimes using other meats.

Defintiely check the caresheet for all kinds of great food information, including which veggies/greens/fruits are best. Also, this will probably get moved to the General Discussion Forum since it's not scientific.
Kelvin W
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Kelvin W » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:31 pm

I will start to add meat in his diet he dosent seem interested un his veg even when dusted he likes fruit tho banana especially so is the meat better that live feed?
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Postby Katrina » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:24 pm

I'm moving this to the general discussion forum - you will get more replies / views there.

Definitely check out the caresheet and do a search on past diet threads. There is lots of good information out there. :D
Kelvin W
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Kelvin W » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:47 pm

Thanks
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics

Postby Fatal_S » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:12 pm

Mix the veggies into the dogfood and don't give them the option. It's like offering a kid candy or broccoli, they're not going to eat the broccoli willingly, but they need it more than the candy, so you've got to be a good parent and force the issue.

I definitely like meats and dogfood more than live food, but I still give bugs and F/T rats sometimes for fun and variety.
Kelvin W
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Kelvin W » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:17 pm

Will defo be goin to start to make him eat his veg this way
ditzychick
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ditzychick » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:55 am

I've found a cat/dog food that is pure shredded chicken in its juices that I mix with greens and a little fruit which mine love, I also feed a variety of live food, snails and different ground meats. There is a thread on here with a list of foods they can eat as staple and others in moderation.
Thanks, Charlie.
Kelvin W
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Kelvin W » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:01 am

I tried the meat and veg today and he loved it straight in to it thanks for all the help :wink:
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer

Postby Nae » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:16 am

Awesome =D Just make sure to keep the fruits as a treat ;)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”