Northern? ID help

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
reaperreptiles
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 1:10 pm
Country:
Location: Hephzibah, GA

Northern? ID help

Postby reaperreptiles » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:19 pm

Image

Hey guys, Im going to be purchasing this guy next week from Kali. He looks 100% northern to me, but a few other opinions would be awesome too.

Thanks:)
User avatar
smsararas2
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:29 pm
Country:
Location: Ontario Canada

Postby smsararas2 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:43 pm

I know nothing about types but s/he is super nice looking!
0.0.2 Indonesian "Hubert" & Irian Jaya "Suzie-Q"
1.1.2 Schnieder Skinks
0.0.1 Savannah Monitor "Lucky"
12.12.2 Leopard Gecko's
2.0.0 African Fat Tail Gecko's
1.1.1 Pictus Gecko
2.1.0 Red Ear Slider turtles
0.1.0 Map Turtle
0.1.0 Emperor Scorpion
1.1.0 Siamese Cats
2.0.0. Whippets Dogs

2 Cats,2Dogs, 4 turtle and 20+ Geckos in the house.
BUT THE SKINKs are MINE!!
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:00 pm

Pretty northern. But looks phat or prego :|
Last edited by xxmonitorlizardxx on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
reaperreptiles
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 1:10 pm
Country:
Location: Hephzibah, GA

Postby reaperreptiles » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:38 pm

thanks guys, yeah he's chubby. but super cute:) very excited
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:21 pm

That is a bloody fat skink, wow. Are you sure he's male? Has she been feeding him babies? :lol:
User avatar
reaperreptiles
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 1:10 pm
Country:
Location: Hephzibah, GA

Postby reaperreptiles » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:42 pm

Well, she's not possitive he's male but she said she thought she saw hemipenes a couple times so imma take my chances with him. Better to be safe than sorry since I really need a male. Either way he is really really pretty:) I dont know what she feeds him but he needs to go on a small diet just to lose a little weight. but he;s so cute!!!! i think imma name him chubbs or gibby....lol
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:32 pm

HAHA GIBBY!!!! Wait what aree the referenses?
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Postby Jeff » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:19 pm

xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:HAHA GIBBY!!!! Wait what aree the referenses?


Dah. Obviously, iCarley is your favorite show!
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:58 am

Jeff wrote:
xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:HAHA GIBBY!!!! Wait what aree the referenses?


Dah. Obviously, iCarley is your favorite show!
Get ut cuz hes chubby 'n stuff. But something in my gut says it's a she.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
reaperreptiles
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 1:10 pm
Country:
Location: Hephzibah, GA

Postby reaperreptiles » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:54 am

what makes you think its a she? Even if it is I will have two gorgoues females and then I can spend the next year searching for a male.
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:23 am

Has it been in contact with any other skinks?
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
reaperreptiles
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 1:10 pm
Country:
Location: Hephzibah, GA

Postby reaperreptiles » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:26 am

I dont think so. but once i get him ill be able to introduce him to my female and try and figure out a possible sex. What characteristics do you guys look for in males/females?
-Cheyenne (thats shy-anne)

0.1 caramel northern(Toblerone/Toby for short)
0.0.1 caramel northern(Mr.Tubbins)
0.0.1 northern (Beetlejuice)
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:18 pm

For me, it's not so much characteristics, more that most males don't get that fat. I'd have a terrible time trying to get any male I've seen to that size. I'm not saying it can't be male at all, I'm just saying with something that big I assume it's female.
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:17 pm

Fatal_S wrote:For me, it's not so much characteristics, more that most males don't get that fat. I'd have a terrible time trying to get any male I've seen to that size. I'm not saying it can't be male at all, I'm just saying with something that big I assume it's female.
Same here
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
reaperreptiles
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 1:10 pm
Country:
Location: Hephzibah, GA

Postby reaperreptiles » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:24 pm

I dont know, not to concerned about it. Im hopefull that its a male but i wont be super upset if its not. My female now is huge!!! she wants to eat all the time, do you guys notice that the females seem to be more food driven than the males?heres a recent pic of my female, Toby. bad pic though, my flash was off and it was dark. She told me he eats everything so maybe he's just a big eater??? who knows

Image
User avatar
reaperreptiles
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 1:10 pm
Country:
Location: Hephzibah, GA

Postby reaperreptiles » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:28 pm

heres a few more recent pics she sent me of him.

Image

Image

Image

Image

He's cute:) very excited :ohyes:
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:51 pm

All my skinks are getting really fat right now that breeding season is over. I'm only feeding once every week or two, and not a huge amount, but they're packing on the pounds. Even so, none are as big as the new guy :3 They'll make a beautiful pair. I wish I could steal your female, I have a caramel male who looks just like her.
User avatar
reaperreptiles
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 1:10 pm
Country:
Location: Hephzibah, GA

Postby reaperreptiles » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:21 pm

:) You know ive been torn about whether or not she was a caramel. dont really know what classifies one as a caramel. is it the lack of black coloration. bc her markings that should be black are a chocolate brown. with the 'caramel' lol and peach colors. yeah my female started packing on weight a few months ago, she just slowed down this last week. Her head needs to grow now bc it looks small compared to her body.lol
-Cheyenne (thats shy-anne)



0.1 caramel northern(Toblerone/Toby for short)

0.0.1 caramel northern(Mr.Tubbins)

0.0.1 northern (Beetlejuice)
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:23 pm

xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:
Fatal_S wrote:For me, it's not so much characteristics, more that most males don't get that fat. I'd have a terrible time trying to get any male I've seen to that size.
Same here


Umm.... I know that Mel has tons of experience with multiple males and females of different species, but don't you only have some experience with one skink? If you are going to be giving advice it is only fair that you are honest with your experience level. :wink:
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:35 pm

Yeah thats the part I quoted that wasnt supposed to be in the quote... Could have swore I deleted that part.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 327 guests