Page 1 of 1
Yellow Urates
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:03 pm
by blackmailchan
For the last two defecations, my POOR SWEET SKINKY'S urate was half yellow and half white. I'm a bit worried, but recently he's been refusing to eat anything. The last time he ate I gave him raspberries and then after a couple of them, when I held them by his face he quickly nudges it with his nose in a way that's like " I've had enough, mom. ".
He's been doing that with any food I offered him until he started shedding. This is his second day of shedding, he refused a peach slice with his little nudge again. Do blue tongues normally refuse to eat when they shed? I know he's going to be exhausted after shedding so I try to offer food as much as possible without bothering him too much. He's been burrowing a lot more deeper and only coming out to bask.
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:44 pm
by WanderingChai
Tea Cup doesn't eat while she sheds at all. Wait until he/she is done shedding, then try with their favorite food. Try to get him/her to eat something healthier than fruit. Try super worms! Thats what always gets Tea Cup going.
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:19 pm
by Fatal_S
It's very normal for a skink not to eat before and during shed. Make sure they have access to clean water and things to rub against to get the shed off

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:26 pm
by Susann
It is totally normal for BTS to not eat for a period before, during, and even after shedding.
I have been told that yellow or even orange urates can be a sign of higher toxins in the system (kidneys collecting it, coloring the urates), but since you say that HALF the urate has been yellow, I suspect it is the part of the urate that is in contact with the fecal matter while inside; I have seen this before. If you are able to watch him "go", I bet this is what you would see.
Nothing wrong with having a vet do a blood culture, to be sure, but from the signs you are describing I wouldn't at this point call it necessary.
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:45 pm
by SapphireTigress1
i am unable to notice the color changes that skinks go through prior to shed (although my partially color blind bf can - go figure) but I can normally tell when shed is imminent because they eat less.
partially yellow urates IMO are not really that concerning. Mine do it occasionally. I have yet to do a fecal on them, but they all seem to be in great health. I wouldn't be too concerned unless the skink starts acting in a manner that is NOT consistent with shedding or other silly skink behavior
I also agree with Susan in that it is probably the urates coming into contact with the poo. I have seen them poo (i was trying to see hemipenes lol) and the times that it was partially yellow that was the reason.
Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:01 pm
by Katrina
The yellow part is fairly normal. Crystallization of excess minerals, I haven't had time to look up which one and I forget.

But it is normal, make sure there is fresh water etc.