Page 1 of 1

Is this substrate safe?

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:04 pm
by jaskari
Hi,

I am using an orchid soil mix as a substrate.
It is a mix of soil and small pieces of bark mulch chips and small rocks (they look like red lava rock).

Is this safe as a substrate? My skink seems fine with it, but then I read that if skinks eat the substrate they could get compacted. I have never seem my skink try to eat the substrate, but obviously I am not watching him 24/7.

Thank you.

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:28 pm
by Katrina
Sounds like a good one - probably great for burrowing and humidity. Is it really messy? I've heard of it being used for varanids.

They won't eat the substrate just because - if you feed on it and there are small pieces, then they will accidentally ingest some. But if you feed outside the enclosure or on a large enough plate that they don't get substrate mixed in then you are fine. :D

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:33 pm
by Coomassie
The only thing you have to worry about in soils is if they add a much of extra chemicals. Organic soils are always safe but there are a lot of safe soils that aren't labeled organic. As long as there are not added pesticides or anything like that, it should be fine.