My BTS is Squeeking

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
eric1234
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:35 pm
Country:

My BTS is Squeeking

Postby eric1234 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:43 pm

I recently acquired a northern BTS named Daisy. The aquarium it came with was only 30gal and a tall, with minimal floor room. I built it a larger cage out of spare lumber I had around. When I put Daisy in the new tank she walked around the perimeter squeeking (with each breath she took she squeeked softly). My kids also noticed a little spittle on the side of her mouth once or twice (I only mention this because it seemed strange to me- I have not seen it so it may be nothing). Whenever we have checked on her she squeeks in the same way. I was wondering if squeeking was normal BTS behavior or if I should be worried about it. Thanks!
User avatar
MissMeg
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 847
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:39 pm
Country: Canada
Location: Sooke,BC

Postby MissMeg » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:56 pm

This is odd, I dont think it is normal for BTS to squeek. Ive heard that they dont have vocal chords, so I dont know if they would beable to..but oviously they can if yours is lol

Theres probably somone on here who would know more about it.

Very interesting though
User avatar
zakkhogan
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 489
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Essex, England
Contact:

Postby zakkhogan » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:55 am

i've herd of whistling from the nose before,

as for spittle? does that mean saliva? if so thats fairly normal,
**Craig (Zakkhogan) Bowers**

Name: Angus Specie: IJ Length 19 inches Weight 520 - 524 Grams Gender: Male Age: 2 (approx)

Name: Dorothy Specie: IJ Gender: Female Weight 239 Age:1 (approx)

............................"Nothing is Impossible" - Christopher Reeve
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Postby El Lobo » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:55 am

Is the spare lumber the enclosure is made from either cedar or pine?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
User avatar
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott
Posts: 4362
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
Country:
Location: Central Victoria, Australia

Postby Scotts1au » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:52 am

Maybe Ratwood (Erythroxylum Rotundifolium) ;-)
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:03 am

Is it a squeak or a huff? Sounds like your bluey is probably nervous and making huffing sounds (a quick exhale) which can sound a bit like a squeak.
eric1234
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:35 pm
Country:

Postby eric1234 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:12 am

Some of the wood is pine. Some of it I couldn't really tell you what it is. I used aspen shavings for the bedding. All of it has a very strong wood odor, if that is what you are referring to?

It may be huffing that sounds like soft squeaking when the air is exhaled quickly through her nostrils?

If she is huffing could it be nervousness in her new tank? She was in the other smaller tank for 6 or more years.

Thanks!
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:18 am

If you are using pine, is it really well sealed? Is there a pine / conifer odor? Reptiles shouldn't be kept on anything that has the strong conifer / pine odor, so make sure it is really, really well sealed before putting the bluey in it. Sealant needs some time to try and off gas as well, before moving the occupant in.

If she just moved then she would be stressed and nervous. And yes, soft squeaking as air is exhaled quickly.
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Postby El Lobo » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:28 am

Phenols are present in pine and that is what gives the strong woody odour. Many mammals suffer liver damage caused by these phenols and they also can cause RTI infections in reptiles.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
eric1234
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:35 pm
Country:

Postby eric1234 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:49 am

Does it matter that the (pine) wood was very old and dry? It didn't smell when I was cutting it. I think most of the wood odor is coming from the aspen shavings. I think if it is anything it might be the paneling I used for the walls. I will put her in the old tank and seal the whole thing. Will the switching back and forth cause stress also? I worry about her ticker.
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:59 am

Why would you worry about her heart? Stress is a part of life - they experience stress in the wild, but yes, moving will cause her stress. You can reduce the stress by making sure in her enclosure she has lots of snug hides - if she can feel very safe and secure, and certain that no one can see her / no predators can get to her then she won't be as stressed.
User avatar
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott
Posts: 4362
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
Country:
Location: Central Victoria, Australia

Postby Scotts1au » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:29 pm

Hey, any exposed wood for the walls of floor of an enclosure should be sealed simply for cleaning purposes and would solve any problem. Normally a basic water soluble, quick drying acrylic sealer would be suitable.

Wheezes, odd breathing patterns etc are a recurring theme. Generally if the bluey is in a situation where it has experienced stress lately you need to let it settle in before being concerned but your vigilance is good.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Postby Susann » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:17 pm

I don't want to unnecessarily worry you, especially since much more experienced members here have given their reassurances; but I don't think I would be way off to bring up the possibility of a respiratory problem.
As far as reptile ailments go, they are up near the top of the list.
So, if your concern lingers I would have a quick check-up with a vet.

But this is entirely the 5 cents of a mother who always thinks "Better safe than sorry!"
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Postby El Lobo » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:49 pm

It's really good that you are concerned enough to notice small differences in your skink.

Moving them from one environment to another can cause additional stresses which can affect the heart but I would not think it to be significant risk. The major problem of not allowing any skink to settle in a new environment is elevation of plasma cortisol levels which interferes with the whole GI tract. Allowing them to settle at their own rate will permit the levels to return to normal over a shorter period.

Keep observing for any noises during normal breathing to rule out an RTI.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 212 guests