Page 1 of 1

High Humidity

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:44 am
by StaceyLeigh
Ok, now I am having an issue with humidity in the tank :? The humidity is at 70% . I have shaved aspen in the tank for bedding. We live in central NY and Humidity is awful right now, but it could be like this most of the summer. I know the rest of the year won't be as big a problem, in fact the winters can be very dry. Is this a huge issue, or not?

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:00 am
by Roheryn
Aspen is very very dry. Maybe you should consider something else for bedding? I'm using repti-bark at the moment, but there are lots of other posibilities.

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:34 am
by Alioop
Unless you're planning on getting a Centralian (and if you are let me know so I can break into your house and steal it!), I wouldn't worry too much about the humidity. If you get an indonesian species its spot on, not positive about Northerns but I'm fairly sure 70% humidity won't bother them either. I've got the Easterns & the IJ on an Aspen/Cypress mulch mix. The humidity is what it is, none of them need a high humidity so I don't really pay much attention to their humidity levels. Everyone sheds easily and no dry tummy scales (which you will likely run into keeping yours on Aspen) to me means whatever the humidity is at, its fine.

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:39 am
by StaceyLeigh
Roheryn wrote:Aspen is very very dry. Maybe you should consider something else for bedding? I'm using repti-bark at the moment, but there are lots of other posibilities.



This was why I chose the Aspen for now (summer), since I know our humidity is high in the summer. I thought the aspen would help. In the winter when it is dryer here I figured I would switch to repti-bark or cypress mulch.

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:57 pm
by Katrina
What Ali said. :nod:

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:22 pm
by StaceyLeigh
We are getting a Northern baby (1 month) from Tula-Girl on this forum. I know the humidity won't always be this high, we just have humid summers here. In the winter I am sure I will be needing to increase the humidity, but I have a better idea how to do that. Lowering it seems harder.

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:39 pm
by Katrina
StaceyLeigh wrote:We are getting a Northern baby (1 month) from Tula-Girl on this forum. I know the humidity won't always be this high, we just have humid summers here. In the winter I am sure I will be needing to increase the humidity, but I have a better idea how to do that. Lowering it seems harder.


Just wait and see - if you have shed issues, add a humid hide. If you seem to have respiratory issues then you will need to decrease. Chances are pretty good that it will do fine without you worrying either way. They are hardy and most people who keep them probably have no idea what the humidity is! So don't stress too much, just wait and see if you have any cause for concern. I'm fairly certain you won't. :)