Gravid Skink Pictures

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Gravid Skink Pictures

Postby Jeff » Fri May 27, 2011 4:12 pm

I just took some quick pictures of my females that are or might be gravid. Some of them are to the point where they start looking deformed! I really feel bad for them when they get to the end of their pregnancies because they are obviously very uncomfortable. Some of them have been doing the labored breathing for awhile now. Some of them should be giving birth any day now. Well, here they are.

This is Bruno. Not the most feminine name. She is 24" long and over 1200 grams!
Image

This is Michelle.

Image

Anika.

Image

Orange Girl. Haven't got the right name yet.

Image

Orange Girl's sister. Sorry.


Image

My eastern that mated 4 times, but later than the others.


Image

Cyx, my little princess. The stuck shed is unheard of on her. She has NEVER had any trouble shedding before. It usually takes her about 10 minutes to completely shed in one piece. I am hoping that is another indication that she is gravid. The gestation period is WAY longer for shinglebacks, so she is not due until the end of July.


Image

My other female that I bred this year delivered her babies earlier in the week. Both Mom and the babies are doing great.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Fri May 27, 2011 4:50 pm

Wow, great thread! :D Gorgeous ladies. I feel bad for Anika, she is enormous.

Good luck with all of them, especially the last four!
User avatar
reaperreptiles
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 1:10 pm
Country:
Location: Hephzibah, GA

Postby reaperreptiles » Fri May 27, 2011 4:59 pm

my female, toby, looks just like Bruno in color and weight. Should be expecting babies within the week:) Good luck and hope all your babies are happy:)
User avatar
dsteamn
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 654
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:48 pm
Country:
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia

Postby dsteamn » Fri May 27, 2011 9:11 pm

This is so exciting for me to see so many blueys pregnant and everyone talking about them. Oscar Rose started continuous heavy breathing today, so I'm thinking she's close - now 98 - 107 days gestation. She has also completely stopped eating and has begun pacing a bit more.
User avatar
Otter
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:40 pm
Country:
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Postby Otter » Sat May 28, 2011 8:31 am

Hey Jeff,

Very cool to see all your gravid Females.

I had my favorite female breed with my nicest male this year for the first time. They only mated 3 times so I am not sure if I will get any babies.

It is exciting to see you doing so well with your group,

John
User avatar
Toxique
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:42 pm
Country:
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Postby Toxique » Sat May 28, 2011 9:52 am

What a gorgeous shingle! And the rest of the girls are beautiful too, I just feel so bad. They look like if you'd even touch them that they would pop right open...
1.0.0 Mortimer, Irian Jaya BTS
1.0.0 Nero, Pastel morph ball python
1.0.0 Wheatley, kitty
User avatar
SapphireTigress1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:58 pm
Country:
Location: Tacoma, Washington USA

Postby SapphireTigress1 » Sat May 28, 2011 12:31 pm

they are huge! congrats...cant wait to see pics of the babies!!
iherp!
http://www.iherp.com/SapphireTigress
0.1.2 Blue Tongued Skinks (Creep, New Merauke; Baneling, I.J.; Zergling, Indo)
1.0 Ball python (Boros, Wild type)
2.1 Kenyan Sand Boas (Trickr, Anery het Paradox; Cotton, Albino het Anery; Candy, Albino het Anery)
1.0 Crested Gecko (Harley, Choco/Cream)
User avatar
oldnotdead
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:25 am
Country:
Location: Utah
Contact:

Re: Gravid Skink Pictures

Postby oldnotdead » Sat May 28, 2011 3:44 pm

Jeff wrote:Orange Girl's sister. Sorry.


"Sorry" is even worse than "Orange Girl" for a name. You need to work on your names, Jeff, but it looks like you are doing well your family planning.
Jim
User avatar
Alioop
Loopy De Loop
Loopy De Loop
Posts: 2648
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:37 pm
Country:
Location: Buffalo, NY

Postby Alioop » Sat May 28, 2011 5:01 pm

Oh Jeff... May I request to be THE FIRST person to know AS SOON AS your eastern starts giving birth??? TOO EXCITING!!!!! :hyper:

I saw Anika's picture and actually grimaced. Poor lady must be miserable!! She's gotta be due to pop any second.

Congrats on all the successful breedings, looks like you're gonna be up to your eyeballs in babies this year!!
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Alie-

1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
User avatar
critterguy
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 702
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 am
Country:

Postby critterguy » Sat May 28, 2011 5:50 pm

Jeff have you had Bruno all of her life? Is she about the same size as Andrew's Jill? How old is she and what I am mainly interested in is when did she stop growing? Wonder how much genetics play a role in size. I'd assume the rest of your adults are between 20-22 inches in length?

Anika is pretty! Here's hoping for lots of pretty babies from your females.
User avatar
Ectothermicfauna
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:01 pm
Country: Usa
Contact:

sorry to go off topic...

Postby Ectothermicfauna » Sat May 28, 2011 7:19 pm

yay! jeff Ive found you- I lost your website and was unable to locate it. You produced my sport last year! He's a tiger X Anika baby. Turns out sport is male, but he's still doin his job as the reptile embassador for the herp society. Got some updated pics of him on my image gallery if you'd like to take a look. This season is looking good for you man. Nice healthy mommies. Its good to talk to you again!
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: sorry to go off topic...

Postby Jeff » Sat May 28, 2011 7:52 pm

Ectothermicfauna wrote:yay! jeff Ive found you- I lost your website and was unable to locate it. You produced my sport last year! He's a tiger X Anika baby. Turns out sport is male, but he's still doin his job as the reptile embassador for the herp society. Got some updated pics of him on my image gallery if you'd like to take a look. This season is looking good for you man. Nice healthy mommies. Its good to talk to you again!


April! I'm so glad to hear from you! I will be going to look at your pictures as soon as I get off of here. Please stay in touch. I'm always here, and my website is www.btskinks.com so write it down! my contact information is on there too.

Joseph, I have had Bruno since she was about 2 months old. She came from very large parents, and she is very comparable to Andrew's largest northerns. I definitely think that size is an inheritable trait. All of my northerns have ended up about the same size as their parents. That is 21-22" in most cases

It's funny that many people commented on how Anika looks. She is the one that is actually much bigger than she looks in that picture. I am afraid to touch her because it looks like she may explode if I do. She is even bigger than she was last year when she had 11 babies. I can't imagine what she is going to do this year!
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
mark_w
Skinks in the UK
Skinks in the UK
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:43 am
Country:
Location: Buxton, UK

Postby mark_w » Sun May 29, 2011 12:29 pm

Hey Jeff. Looking good for a bumper season. Hope all goes well for you...
scincoides - intermedia - nigrolutea - occipitalis
User avatar
Krista
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 11:37 am
Country:
Location: Canada

Postby Krista » Sun May 29, 2011 3:07 pm

Bruno!!! :lol: That's too funny!
All the ladies are looking lovely, can't wait to see all of the adorable bubs :love:
0.0.1 Indo - Ishtar
0.1 Ball Python - Anubis
1.1 Corn Snakes - Kryos + Sati
0.1 IJ Carpet Python - Ammit
1.0 Jaguar Carpet Python - Osiris
User avatar
Ectothermicfauna
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:01 pm
Country: Usa
Contact:

Postby Ectothermicfauna » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:39 am

Cool Ive got ya bookmarked jeff. there's tons more pictures of him and as soon as i figure out how to resize them i will post them up too. Sport is the baby that got me back into blueys. I had some imported indos off and on before through the society but I fell in love with blueys because of sport. I sold or am in the process of selling the rest of the collection to focus exclusivly on my blueys because now i have 6. Im officially an addict lol <3 ill definitly keep in touch and keep an eye on "the family". congrats!
User avatar
Raven_Vivi
Mad Apothecary
Mad Apothecary
Posts: 2610
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:06 pm
Country:
Location: Philadelphia, PA ~USA

Postby Raven_Vivi » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:42 am

I love it when it's baby season xD
I am the crazy lady~ ^_^

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. ~Andre Gide

Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sought. ~Matsuo Basho

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 189 guests