how to ship a bluey???
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- reaperreptiles
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 298
- Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 1:10 pm
- Country:
- Location: Hephzibah, GA
how to ship a bluey???
I have never shipped a reptile before and would like to know exactly (down to every little detail) how to ship a bluey. Thanks:)
- WanderingChai
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 627
- Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: New York
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
I've received reptiles shipped from these guys: http://www.reptileexpress.com/index.asp
and they were GREAT! Very professional and supplied the box, packaging, heat packs etc. I don't have a lot of experience shipping, but I would use this company in future.
and they were GREAT! Very professional and supplied the box, packaging, heat packs etc. I don't have a lot of experience shipping, but I would use this company in future.
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
I really want to give you a good response with pictures, but I don't have time right now. If you can wait until tomorrow I will show you how I have shipped dozens of reptiles.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
- reaperreptiles
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 298
- Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 1:10 pm
- Country:
- Location: Hephzibah, GA
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
I'm really sorry, I got busy and forgot about this thread! This is how I ship BTS. It may not be useful to people outside of the U.S., but this is the only place I have shipped from. This is also assuming that I am shipping while the weather does not require a heat pack or a cold pack. If you do need one of these, it is very simple. You just activate them according to the instructions on them and tape them to the top of the box (on the inside).
I use www.shipyourreptiles.com. I am not affiliated with them in any way, but I have had very good service from them, and never an issue with an animal arriving safely. They just switched this year from UPS to FedEx though, and I have only used them once since then. You can buy shipping supplies on their website, which I would also recommend. You can get a complete "kit" to ship just one animal which is very convenient, but of course if you purchase larger quantities the cost will be lower per animal shipped.
Here is what you need to ship a skink.
Items include a sturdy box w/ styrofoam insulation and a reptile bag. I use shredded paper or packing peanuts as cushion.
First you assemble the box.
Then cover the bottom with the paper, peanuts, or other material to keep the skink from bouncing around inside the box.
Next, I wad up some paper towels and put them inside the reptile bag. This is to absorb anything that might "come out" of the skink during transport.
After that, it's time to put the skink in the bag.
That is never fun, but the truth is if you do all of this right before you drop the package off, and you drop the package off at the end of the day, the skink will be just fine for the short time that he is in the box.
Then securely tie the bag closed. I use a small zip-tie just to make sure it doesn't come undone.
Next you put the bag into the box and fill the empty space with more peanuts, etc.
Tape the box securely closed, and it is ready for a label. I poke holes in the box for air, but that is really not necessary. The box is not air-tight, and the skink won't be in it too long.
You can pay for the shipping and print out a label right on the shipyourreptiles website. After you print out the label, just tape it on the box and drop it off at any FedEx location. Be sure to NOT tape the label over a seam in the box though. During transport the boxes move around and rub on each other. If the address or bar code is over a crease, it will sometimes get rubbed off. This is what I mean.
This is BAD;
This is GOOD;
I have packed dozens of animals this way, and I have never had one not get to its destination safely. I hope that is helpful.
I use www.shipyourreptiles.com. I am not affiliated with them in any way, but I have had very good service from them, and never an issue with an animal arriving safely. They just switched this year from UPS to FedEx though, and I have only used them once since then. You can buy shipping supplies on their website, which I would also recommend. You can get a complete "kit" to ship just one animal which is very convenient, but of course if you purchase larger quantities the cost will be lower per animal shipped.
Here is what you need to ship a skink.
Items include a sturdy box w/ styrofoam insulation and a reptile bag. I use shredded paper or packing peanuts as cushion.
First you assemble the box.
Then cover the bottom with the paper, peanuts, or other material to keep the skink from bouncing around inside the box.
Next, I wad up some paper towels and put them inside the reptile bag. This is to absorb anything that might "come out" of the skink during transport.
After that, it's time to put the skink in the bag.
Then securely tie the bag closed. I use a small zip-tie just to make sure it doesn't come undone.
Next you put the bag into the box and fill the empty space with more peanuts, etc.
Tape the box securely closed, and it is ready for a label. I poke holes in the box for air, but that is really not necessary. The box is not air-tight, and the skink won't be in it too long.
You can pay for the shipping and print out a label right on the shipyourreptiles website. After you print out the label, just tape it on the box and drop it off at any FedEx location. Be sure to NOT tape the label over a seam in the box though. During transport the boxes move around and rub on each other. If the address or bar code is over a crease, it will sometimes get rubbed off. This is what I mean.
This is BAD;
This is GOOD;
I have packed dozens of animals this way, and I have never had one not get to its destination safely. I hope that is helpful.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Jeff wrote:After that, it's time to put the skink in the bag.That is never fun, but the truth is if you do all of this right before you drop the package off, and you drop the package off at the end of the day, the skink will be just fine for the short time that he is in the box.
You have my address right? Just want to make sure you know where you're shipping that skink!
Joking aside, excellent post. That is great information!
- Krista
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 181
- Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 11:37 am
- Country:
- Location: Canada
- Scotts1au
- Great Scott

- Posts: 4362
- Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
- Country:
- Location: Central Victoria, Australia
I prefer to send mine in a small (large enough for the lizard) but hard plastic box. Whatever you send should be crush proof within reason - should stand at least 150 pounds of pressure on it. On two occasions I have received blueys in cardboard boxes that have been partially crushed.
You may find that your chosen freight company will have their own regulations.
In Aus Aus Air Express insist on a wooden box but will send anything in a box that you can show is sturdy.
We don't really have temperature problems like the US so Jeff is the man on that one.
You may find that your chosen freight company will have their own regulations.
In Aus Aus Air Express insist on a wooden box but will send anything in a box that you can show is sturdy.
We don't really have temperature problems like the US so Jeff is the man on that one.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
- Alioop
- Loopy De Loop

- Posts: 2648
- Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:37 pm
- Country:
- Location: Buffalo, NY
Katrina wrote:Jeff wrote:After that, it's time to put the skink in the bag.That is never fun, but the truth is if you do all of this right before you drop the package off, and you drop the package off at the end of the day, the skink will be just fine for the short time that he is in the box.
You have my address right? Just want to make sure you know where you're shipping that skink!
Joking aside, excellent post. That is great information!
Haha sorry Kat, but Jeff doesn't ship outside the US... and he already has MY address, so clearly we already know where that skink is headed.
Jeff this was a fantastic post, very informative. Thank you for putting in the time to put this all together!
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Alie-
1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
-Alie-
1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
- reaperreptiles
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 298
- Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 1:10 pm
- Country:
- Location: Hephzibah, GA
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 142 guests
