Are these okay for Skinks?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
blackmailchan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:16 pm
Country:
Location: Over the rainbow
Contact:

Are these okay for Skinks?

Postby blackmailchan » Tue May 24, 2011 2:32 pm

I found a junebug larva while weeding ( in a place that doesn't use fertilizer or pesticides ) and I gather up a couple more. They look like really good treats but they have really strong head pinchers.
Image
Image

Will my skink be okay eating them if they're safe?

And if he can eat them, do I have to cut off the heads? They bite really hard!
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

Postby WanderingChai » Tue May 24, 2011 3:48 pm

I have no idea if they're okay, but if they are, I would definitely cut off the head to prevent injuries.
User avatar
critterguy
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 702
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 am
Country:

Postby critterguy » Tue May 24, 2011 4:58 pm

Those look excellent-something skinks would likely come across in the wild rooting about in leaves etc. It certainly wouldn't hurt to remove their heads before feeding. Some people on the Aussie forums report using wichity grubs for feeding various lizards...heads removed.
User avatar
Musoke
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:09 pm
Country:
Location: Grassie, Ontario

Postby Musoke » Tue May 24, 2011 5:19 pm

Oh man... those look pretty okay to eat but cut off that head... can you imagine if it was alive and it bit while your skink was just swallowing? Auughhh nightmares!!
*paranoid*
- Meagan
Image
User avatar
MissMeg
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 847
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:39 pm
Country: Canada
Location: Sooke,BC

Postby MissMeg » Tue May 24, 2011 5:20 pm

Yikes those are mean pinchers. Im not sure if they are okay, I would definatly wait to see if anyone had a forsure answer (just incase they are toxic to BTS)
User avatar
Musoke
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:09 pm
Country:
Location: Grassie, Ontario

Postby Musoke » Tue May 24, 2011 5:30 pm

MissMeg wrote:Yikes those are mean pinchers. Im not sure if they are okay, I would definatly wait to see if anyone had a forsure answer (just incase they are toxic to BTS)


I do agree. =)
- Meagan

Image

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 271 guests