Page 1 of 1
BABE HATES HER VEGGIES!
Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:38 pm
by melanie36d
My sweet Indo blue tongued skink, Babe, has stopped eating her veggies and will only eat her cat food and fruits. What is the best way to get her back on her leafy greens? She is a great eater, loves blueberries, bananas and chicken pate cat food but she will actually move her greens out of the way or spit them out to get to the cat food. I worry that she is not getting enough vitamins although she has grown alot since I got her in February. She is a very sweet natured skink and does not have any aggressive habits at all. In fact, she even took her deworming meds like a champ and allowed me to put the syringe with the meds into her mouth without biting me. She tested negative for any other parasites and seems happy and healthy. She shed when I got her and just shed again. I will post a current picture of her soon. Right now, I'm just worried about her veggie hating behavior. any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks
Debbie
Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:17 pm
by Alioop
First I would cut down on the fruits, they should really only be given occasionally as a treat, and some breeders do not feed fruits at all. The more fruit you give her, the less she will want to eat the greens. Same as if you offered a child a huge bowl of ice cream, then expected them to eat a pile of broccoli afterwards.
There are few, if any, bts that will willingly eat their greens and veggies. If she is able to pick them out of the cat food then all you need to do is chop up the greens finer and/or mix it in better. Some people even use a food processor for this.
Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:55 pm
by MissMeg
I agree with Alioop. My BTS is sucha picky eater. Hell lick the cat food off and spit out any leaves he mistakenly gets in his mouth.
I just cut the veggies smaller so its harder to pick them out. Hes getting better, but hes still pretty picky.
Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:12 pm
by melanie36d
She does get fruit for a treat although lately i have been guilty of mashing banana into the greens to get her to eat but she's pretty smart - she manages to lick off the banana and spit out the veggie. I will try chopping the greens better. I guess at the pet store all they fed her was cheap lettuce mix so she ate what she was given. Since I got her it's like a party in her mouth every day and she's spoiled. I had another Indo that my nephew took out and lost and it was very aggressive. This one is the complete opposite - so tolerant to everything - never even opens her mouth in aggression. She hardly even puffs. She is just the sweetest thing.
Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:15 pm
by melanie36d
Btw - i went thru a similar thing with my beardies only eating worms and crickets and never touching their greens - then i found baby bok choy and kale and spraying it with water on the leaves - they now are pretty good veggie eaters now. But they still LOVE their protein. I didn't know that bts's were not good veggie eaters. I just assumed that they would eat vegetables....