clay dishes for food/water?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- StaceyLeigh
- Northern Love

- Posts: 1576
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: CNY
- Contact:
clay dishes for food/water?
Trying to come up with list of all items needed. I was thinking of using shallow clay dishes for food, and water. Any issues with this, have people done this?
- Nae
- Forum Graphic Designer

- Posts: 1889
- Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 am
- Country:
- Location: Western Australia
While not for pet water, I have used clay bases for pot plants, and find that they tend to absorb the water. I could also imagine that they would absorb juices from the food, which I wouldnt think would be very hygienic in the long run?
How about ceramic? Easy to clean, heavy so it cant be tipped? A lot of people also use paper plates or just the plates from their dinner set for food.
How about ceramic? Easy to clean, heavy so it cant be tipped? A lot of people also use paper plates or just the plates from their dinner set for food.
- Coomassie
- The Inked Chemist

- Posts: 1826
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: Newark, DE
- MissMeg
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 847
- Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:39 pm
- Country: Canada
- Location: Sooke,BC
I use plastic as well. Anything from tupperware lids, to bowls,I use old lids from things like the peanut butter lid, fruit salad lids.. I use old juice lids for my geckos. I make sure my lids are completly clean before I use them.
I also have kitty dishes, but Ruckus doesnt seem to eat out of those.
I also have kitty dishes, but Ruckus doesnt seem to eat out of those.
- SapphireTigress1
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 132
- Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:58 pm
- Country:
- Location: Tacoma, Washington USA
yay for recycling! I use old peanut butter lids, mayo lids, etc for food dishes, and i use old containers and wash them and cut them to make hides/tubes/etc for the skinkers. I also use the smaller lids for spare gecko food dishes.
I used clean pizza boxes and an empty tissue box to create a basking ramp for 2 of my skinks, i need to find another suitably clean box for my 3rd skink.
The only thing not recycled is their water dishes, because they need large ones
My newer hides are made from a recipe someone posted on Iherp, made out of flour and salt and oil and baked in the oven. My older hides are the half logs.
I also recycle old 2 liter soda bottles, plastic milk cartons and what not to make hides for my mice colonies.
I used clean pizza boxes and an empty tissue box to create a basking ramp for 2 of my skinks, i need to find another suitably clean box for my 3rd skink.
The only thing not recycled is their water dishes, because they need large ones
My newer hides are made from a recipe someone posted on Iherp, made out of flour and salt and oil and baked in the oven. My older hides are the half logs.
I also recycle old 2 liter soda bottles, plastic milk cartons and what not to make hides for my mice colonies.
iherp!
http://www.iherp.com/SapphireTigress
0.1.2 Blue Tongued Skinks (Creep, New Merauke; Baneling, I.J.; Zergling, Indo)
1.0 Ball python (Boros, Wild type)
2.1 Kenyan Sand Boas (Trickr, Anery het Paradox; Cotton, Albino het Anery; Candy, Albino het Anery)
1.0 Crested Gecko (Harley, Choco/Cream)
http://www.iherp.com/SapphireTigress
0.1.2 Blue Tongued Skinks (Creep, New Merauke; Baneling, I.J.; Zergling, Indo)
1.0 Ball python (Boros, Wild type)
2.1 Kenyan Sand Boas (Trickr, Anery het Paradox; Cotton, Albino het Anery; Candy, Albino het Anery)
1.0 Crested Gecko (Harley, Choco/Cream)
- StaceyLeigh
- Northern Love

- Posts: 1576
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: CNY
- Contact:
- Coomassie
- The Inked Chemist

- Posts: 1826
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: Newark, DE
- StaceyLeigh
- Northern Love

- Posts: 1576
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: CNY
- Contact:
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
- critterguy
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 702
- Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 am
- Country:
I save the paper/cardboard I get when eating out and use those as feeding trays. Of course plastic lids from just about anything are also appropriate.
Also-I am pretty sure my skink is one of the most educated on this forum...as he spends his days sleeping ontop of organic chemistry-biostats, ecology, calculus, and other class assignments/notes turned cage liners.(it'd be nice to figure out how to get him not to dig under them as I was hoping to make it easier to spot clean the aspen but he likes to hide under the papers.
Also-I am pretty sure my skink is one of the most educated on this forum...as he spends his days sleeping ontop of organic chemistry-biostats, ecology, calculus, and other class assignments/notes turned cage liners.(it'd be nice to figure out how to get him not to dig under them as I was hoping to make it easier to spot clean the aspen but he likes to hide under the papers.
- Ectothermicfauna
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 40
- Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:01 pm
- Country: Usa
- Contact:
ive used lots of kinds but i hands down like the plastic potted plant trays. The little trays that are meant to catch the water from underneath potted plants you find in the garden section. I use the green plastic version. I have been able to get these year round from walmart for about 30 cents a piece. The 4" ones are great food and water dishes, and cut out a hole out of the side of a 12" diameter one flip it upside down and use it for a hide. I found the ones i use can make it through the dishwasher if placed on the top rack too. Exceptionally inexpensive and reusable. 
- Musoke
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 115
- Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:09 pm
- Country:
- Location: Grassie, Ontario
- dsteamn
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 654
- Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:48 pm
- Country:
- Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 284 guests

