Page 1 of 1

New to site, Tank set up?

Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:30 am
by StaceyLeigh
Hi I am new to the site. As a family we are planning to purchase a skink over the summer. My youngest son has been researching about them for almost a year and would like one for his 10th Birthday, he is very excited! We are a big pet loving family and have had our share of different pets over the years, but we are new to skinks.

I have a question about tank set up, particularly lighting? We have purchased a 40 gal. long tank with screen top. From what I have read it looks like I need a heat lamp, and a UVA/UVB light? Can I put 1 at each end of the tank? For that size tank, what size bulbs? I have seen so many different answers to this question, I am now confused about lighting!
Thanks for helping.

Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:45 am
by Bird_Brain
With a 40gal tank, a 60 watt would *probably* be enough. Really you just have to play around iwth the temps (which I recommend before you get the skink). For the heat lamp, ANY incandescent bulb will work. This includes the 4 pack of standard house bulbs at Walmart for $1. UVB light is up to you. It will not hurt, but not shown to be necessary for BTS. There are keepers who have used it for many years with no ill effect with their skinks, as well as keepers never using UVB and their skinks also show no ill effects. My best advice is to do your own research on this and do what you feel comfortable with.

It would depend on the type of UVB bulb where you would place it. If its the long tube type fluorescent, then obviously it will run the length of the cage. If you use the compact fluorescent, they I would place it near the basking area as that is where the skink will spend the majority of the day. If using MVB, then you have no choice and it will be with the heat.

Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:19 am
by MissMeg
You could also maybe think of mercury Vapour bulbs. They are a bit pricey but in my opinon worth it :D

Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:24 am
by Coomassie
I would set up the 60 watt bulb and monitor the temp for a few days. If you need more heat, you could get an Under The Tank heater (UTH). I have one for Coomassie and it does a good job supplementing heat.

Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:47 pm
by StaceyLeigh
I found this light Zoo Med Mini Combo Deep Dome Lamp Fixture (it has room for 2 bulbs, one for heat, one for UV) has anyone used these? Would it work? Trying to make this as simple as possible.

Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:51 pm
by Fatal_S
Keep in mind UVB doesn't pass through mesh-screens. Obviously if the screen has bigger gaps, the UVB waves go through, but flyscreen almost completely blocks it.

Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:20 am
by critterguy
Also note that it can be harmful to one's eyes to look directly at UVB bulbs(though the level produced by reptile bulbs should be no more than natural sunlight). It should mention this on the packaging. UVB will pass through window screen but a good portion of it is blocked. Enough passes through though that it is still worthwhile to maintain reptiles in screen enclosures outdoors.

I've used/use the simple Zoomed or similar brand basking lamps. I'd reccomend one of those, sized appropriately for your enclosure(you want to be able to achieve 90-100 degree surface temperatures in an area big enough to fit your skink's body). Smaller lamp can be compensated for by having basking area closer to lamp/heat source.

Heat pads also work great-I've read of a few people using them as the sole heat source for BTS-but the general consensus amongst keepers is to provide a source of radiant light/heat. These are pretty tough animals so the choice is yours with whatever you feel most comfortable with.

Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:09 am
by StaceyLeigh
ok now I'm more confused? I do have a screen top on the reptile tank we purchased. What do people use for the UVB light? I don't know how I would get a light under the screen top? I'm sorry if I seem clueless about the lighting issue, I have had numerous Saltwater and freshwater tanks, but obviously the lights go outside.

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:20 pm
by Alioop
You just set the UVB lamp on top of the screen, same with the heat lamp. UVB isn't necessary as long as you're supplementing with Calcium and D3.

And welcome from a fellow central NYer!

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:26 pm
by StaceyLeigh
Alioop, Your not far from me, I'm near Utica, thanks for the welcome. This is really my son's project , but I am trying to learn with him!

I decided to use this light Compact Fluorescent Lamp 26W Repti Glo 10.0 Desert, in a dome type fixture for UV, and a Basking Light, also a dome type fixture. I've read on here that 10 can be a bit much and hurt the BTS eyes, but it will be on the outside of the screen top, and I can clamp it above a few inches, so it will be about 20" above the skink. I would think this would be safe. Opinions?

Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:37 am
by Hopeful_Herper
I have a 10 UVB bulb on top of my tank with a mesh screen and it works well.

I'm new at this but you really should fine as long as you can get the basking spot to the 90's and keep the rest of the tank from getting to cold.

Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:18 pm
by StaceyLeigh
I have another question about decorations, specifically plants in the tank? Do they have to be artificial or could you use real plants? Also can you use any artificial, or do they need to be something bought at a pet store for reptiles?

Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:59 pm
by Bird_Brain
I buy artificial plants where ever they are on sale/cheap. Be it the dollar store, craft store, pet store, etc.

Live look nice, but will not stay nice when you have a "tank" running all over them.

Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:22 am
by StaceyLeigh
Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:59 pm Post subject:
I buy artificial plants where ever they are on sale/cheap. Be it the dollar store, craft store, pet store, etc.

Live look nice, but will not stay nice when you have a "tank" running all over them.

Great point Brad, This is our 1st BTS, so I didn't think of the wear and tear issue! Off to Johann's or Michaels!

Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:12 pm
by WeatherMan_Tom
Real plants will also raise humidity, which skinks do NOT need.

Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:29 pm
by Katrina
WeatherMan_Tom wrote:Real plants will also raise humidity, which skinks do NOT need.


Well, partially true. The part about raising humidity is true. But not all blueys are from dry environments. Check the humidity levels year round in most parts of Indonesia where Indos and Meraukes are from - usually >80%. Real plants aren't recommended for quite a few reasons, but some BTS do better with high humidity. :wink:

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:16 am
by StaceyLeigh
Thanks for the input on the plant, we will stick to artificial. My son and I found a fern, and an interesting looking fake cactus to add to the new home.

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:34 pm
by StaceyLeigh
Ok, You have all been very helpful, so I have another question. What is the best substrate for a young bts (about 1 month old). Do you use different things for younger vs adults? I had bought some Repti-bark, but now I am worried that will be too rough for a young one?

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:13 pm
by Katrina
You might want to to put a new baby on paper towel for a little while just to be completely sure that they are pooping ok etc, but you don't really need to. Repti-bark would be just fine - you just might freak out as a new mom because you can't find any evidence of poop! :lol:

But don't worry too much - little babies do just fine in the wild so they don't need any extra pampering when in captivity. :D