birth problems
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
birth problems
I know some reptiles can be egg bound but can skinks be baby bound. Wondering because my meruake breeders was expecting babies 2 weeks ago and still nothing.
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
- dsteamn
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 654
- Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:48 pm
- Country:
- Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
I'm starting to wonder the same thing with mine. I bred her the 8th, 14th and 18th of February (although I'm thinking they didn't hook long enough the last time to do any good - after that she didn't want any part of him). I didn't realize it took skinks so long to have babies. She's at 100 - 106 days now. These pics were taken a couple of weeks ago - need to get some updated ones before she drops.
Can anyone tell me what the gestation range for northerns is? She's got to be any day now, right?
Pics taken 5/12/11

Can anyone tell me what the gestation range for northerns is? She's got to be any day now, right?
Pics taken 5/12/11

- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
I just had a northern give birth at 96 days. I have 4 other gravid northerns, one at 85 days right now, and 2 that are on day 106. Last year mine averaged about 110 days. It is believed that higher temperatures during the pregnancy will shorten the gestation period, and cooler temperatures will lengthen it. There is also probably some variation from one individual to another.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
- SapphireTigress1
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 132
- Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:58 pm
- Country:
- Location: Tacoma, Washington USA
wow shes huge! Good luck with the babies!
iherp!
http://www.iherp.com/SapphireTigress
0.1.2 Blue Tongued Skinks (Creep, New Merauke; Baneling, I.J.; Zergling, Indo)
1.0 Ball python (Boros, Wild type)
2.1 Kenyan Sand Boas (Trickr, Anery het Paradox; Cotton, Albino het Anery; Candy, Albino het Anery)
1.0 Crested Gecko (Harley, Choco/Cream)
http://www.iherp.com/SapphireTigress
0.1.2 Blue Tongued Skinks (Creep, New Merauke; Baneling, I.J.; Zergling, Indo)
1.0 Ball python (Boros, Wild type)
2.1 Kenyan Sand Boas (Trickr, Anery het Paradox; Cotton, Albino het Anery; Candy, Albino het Anery)
1.0 Crested Gecko (Harley, Choco/Cream)
- dsteamn
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 654
- Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:48 pm
- Country:
- Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
If any of you 'older members' here on the site remember my story, I bought her after rescuing Stubbs and wanted a baby so I could see what the norms were. I wanted her to teach me what was a normal size meal, how they are supposed to breath, walk and bend. I didn't know if what he was doing was moving in the right direction or if things were off balance or deficient.
When I first brought Stubbs home, it was really to give him a more comfortable place to die.. Through all miracles, he pulled through. Then my granddaughter fell in love with him so I had to keep him. She knows that Oscar Rose is pregnant. She asked me the other day if I would call her when she had her 'BABY' so she could come and see it. I can't wait to see her face when she looks in the aquarium and sees a litter. More pics to come with 'the atermath'.
When I first brought Stubbs home, it was really to give him a more comfortable place to die.. Through all miracles, he pulled through. Then my granddaughter fell in love with him so I had to keep him. She knows that Oscar Rose is pregnant. She asked me the other day if I would call her when she had her 'BABY' so she could come and see it. I can't wait to see her face when she looks in the aquarium and sees a litter. More pics to come with 'the atermath'.
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
- dsteamn
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 654
- Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:48 pm
- Country:
- Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Well, sad to say that we STILL have no babies. I counted and we are officially at day 101 - 110. She is still doing her heavy breathing/sighing but now is adding a gulp of air about two out of three times. Here are the latest pics.
I saw on one of the posts that the substrate should be removed and carpet put down so we did that after we took these pics. The water bowl has been replaced with a shallow dish, which was also a great idea. Thanks.
I saw on one of the posts that the substrate should be removed and carpet put down so we did that after we took these pics. The water bowl has been replaced with a shallow dish, which was also a great idea. Thanks.
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Don't stress too much. It is almost guaranteed that she is gravid. They know what to do. Removing the substrate is just so that the babies don't eat any when they are eating their yolk sac. The shallow water bowl is just a precaution too. Even if you don't do anything, they will most likely be fine. It sounds like she should be dropping any minute now.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
- SapphireTigress1
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 132
- Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:58 pm
- Country:
- Location: Tacoma, Washington USA
good luck, and make sure to post baby pics 
iherp!
http://www.iherp.com/SapphireTigress
0.1.2 Blue Tongued Skinks (Creep, New Merauke; Baneling, I.J.; Zergling, Indo)
1.0 Ball python (Boros, Wild type)
2.1 Kenyan Sand Boas (Trickr, Anery het Paradox; Cotton, Albino het Anery; Candy, Albino het Anery)
1.0 Crested Gecko (Harley, Choco/Cream)
http://www.iherp.com/SapphireTigress
0.1.2 Blue Tongued Skinks (Creep, New Merauke; Baneling, I.J.; Zergling, Indo)
1.0 Ball python (Boros, Wild type)
2.1 Kenyan Sand Boas (Trickr, Anery het Paradox; Cotton, Albino het Anery; Candy, Albino het Anery)
1.0 Crested Gecko (Harley, Choco/Cream)
- reaperreptiles
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 298
- Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 1:10 pm
- Country:
- Location: Hephzibah, GA
Im having the same issue. My female northern is about 108 days now and she looks exactly the same as yours (weight wise). She is breathing heavy, didnt eat much today. Just noticed that she is running/walking around all over her cage and huffing/hissing alot within the last hour and I turned her light off at 8. Do they ever give birth during the night???
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 370 guests

