Insects in cage

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
robere
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:28 am
Country:
Location: Kentucky

Insects in cage

Postby robere » Thu May 19, 2011 4:37 pm

Got some small flying insects in Skeeters cage. Would it be safe to use No Pest Strips in the room where my BTS is? I'm thinking maybe use it for a few days then remove it. The room I have her in is not an enclosed room.
I use to use them in moderate amounts for my snakes to get rid of mites...
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Thu May 19, 2011 4:52 pm

I would completely clean out the cage and see if they are still there.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Coomassie
The Inked Chemist
The Inked Chemist
Posts: 1826
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
Country:
Location: Newark, DE

Postby Coomassie » Thu May 19, 2011 5:15 pm

Like Monitorlizard said, I would clean out the tank and put down to substrate. You can put up fly strips, OUTSIDE the tank. I had fruit flies in my tortoise's enclosure. I just put two fly strips up nearby and after two weeks they were completely gone!
Cay T.
User avatar
robere
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:28 am
Country:
Location: Kentucky

Postby robere » Thu May 19, 2011 7:12 pm

Fly strips might work. These arent flys. Cleaning out the cage will probably only be a temporary fix.
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Fri May 20, 2011 5:21 pm

I've used no-pest strips in my room when I had mites. I generally used it for a few hours, then removed it for the rest of the day, and did so for a couple of weeks. One thing is to make sure there's no food/water in the tanks, since the chemical that the no-pest strips emits coats everything (it'll make a film over water) and you don't want your reptile eating/drinking when it's contaminated. I just offered fresh food/water and removed it after about an hour.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 271 guests