Page 1 of 1
Currently super bummed
Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:49 pm
by SirGalahaut
I just found out today that the apartment in Seattle that I will be moving into doesn't allow reptiles

... This really really sucks because I was planning on having Yb for a long time. Within in a year of having him it seems like I am going to be forced to get rid of him. I would consider hiding him in the apartment but the landlord will be keeping a bedroom and bathroom to themselves so that they can finish up their PHD stuff when they come back in town. But at least I found out now so I can have a couple of months to find Yb a good home. There is a pet store near here that sells lots of reptiles as a last ditch effort. But my first choice will be on here since I know that on here he would find a good home. I will post him up on the Classifieds. If anybody has any suggestions to my current predicament please let me know.
Hugh
Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:54 pm
by Nae
Does it not allow reptiles specifically? Or does it actually say no pets? While they do say no pets, a lot of apartments will actually allow tanked animals (reptiles, fish, hermit crabs).
Maybe just try to explain to them that Yb is a completely harmless larger lizard? You never know, they may allow him.
Good luck, I do hope you get to keep him!
Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:02 pm
by SirGalahaut
My landlord feels really bummed about it as well. But she was on the board and the director of the board for a time. She said it specifically says no reptiles. You are allowed to have small dogs, cats, fish, and birds. But no reptiles, ferrets, hamsters, rabbits or any other non-domesticated pets. I asked her if I could talk to the board and she said that even if the whole community voted to let him be there they would still need to change the bylaws and because of how much that would cost it probably wouldn't happen.
Hugh
Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:05 pm
by Nae
That really does suck =( I am sorry I couldnt be of more help.
Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:59 pm
by JoshChimera
You need to find a new place that will not care about your skink moving in with you.
Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:20 am
by Little Wise Owl
Though this won't help you but ferrets and rabbits are domesticated...
That really sucks though. ):
Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:45 am
by Coomassie
I'm really sorry and I wish I had the space to take him. I'm sure you can find a good home for him by August.
Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:46 am
by robere
I understand a big snake, but a lizard in a cage? What is the reason for this? Do you know?
Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:42 pm
by SirGalahaut
I'm not sure the reason. I'm pretty sure its due to the fact that most people don't understand how awesome reptiles can be as pets. They think they are slimy and gross. Thats my guess at least.
Hugh
Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:03 pm
by Edward
Little Wise Owl wrote:Though this won't help you but ferrets and rabbits are domesticated...
Excellent observation.
Not that bylaws are written by sensible, logical, and/or informed people.
Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:17 pm
by SirGalahaut
Yeah what sucks is my girlfriend got the idea of possibly getting a couple of hedgehogs as well. But now we won't be able to get those either. But we have the hard problem of trying to find a place to live 3000 miles away. And this person is a current PHD student who is about to graduate and move to California and needs someone to be basically a house sitter/ tenant because she still needs to come back up to defend her dissertation. So to get our feet under us out there its perfect. but it sucks that we can't have the types of pets we want.
Hugh
Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:48 pm
by melanie36d
I wouldn't move to a place that won't take my pets. i've been fortunate though to find landlords who don't really care. Maybe if you offered a deposit - $100 or something they would take that? It worked for me at one place I rented that didn't take dogs and I have 3 pitbulls - I offered them $500 and they settled for $200. Can't hurt - sometimes a little money speaks volumes. It's not like the skink makes noise or will tear up the apartment.