Creep vs. Zergling...I.e. Indo vs. Merauke?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
SapphireTigress1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:58 pm
Country:
Location: Tacoma, Washington USA

Creep vs. Zergling...I.e. Indo vs. Merauke?

Postby SapphireTigress1 » Thu May 05, 2011 6:38 pm

Ok, here is Creep:
Image
Image
Image
Image
iherp!
http://www.iherp.com/SapphireTigress
0.1.2 Blue Tongued Skinks (Creep, New Merauke; Baneling, I.J.; Zergling, Indo)
1.0 Ball python (Boros, Wild type)
2.1 Kenyan Sand Boas (Trickr, Anery het Paradox; Cotton, Albino het Anery; Candy, Albino het Anery)
1.0 Crested Gecko (Harley, Choco/Cream)
User avatar
SapphireTigress1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:58 pm
Country:
Location: Tacoma, Washington USA

Postby SapphireTigress1 » Thu May 05, 2011 6:39 pm

and here is Zergling.

Image
Image
Image
Image
iherp!

http://www.iherp.com/SapphireTigress

0.1.2 Blue Tongued Skinks (Creep, New Merauke; Baneling, I.J.; Zergling, Indo)

1.0 Ball python (Boros, Wild type)

2.1 Kenyan Sand Boas (Trickr, Anery het Paradox; Cotton, Albino het Anery; Candy, Albino het Anery)

1.0 Crested Gecko (Harley, Choco/Cream)
User avatar
SapphireTigress1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:58 pm
Country:
Location: Tacoma, Washington USA

Postby SapphireTigress1 » Thu May 05, 2011 6:40 pm

Sorry for the quality of the pictures. I used a canon powershot 12.1 mp, but it hates me.
iherp!

http://www.iherp.com/SapphireTigress

0.1.2 Blue Tongued Skinks (Creep, New Merauke; Baneling, I.J.; Zergling, Indo)

1.0 Ball python (Boros, Wild type)

2.1 Kenyan Sand Boas (Trickr, Anery het Paradox; Cotton, Albino het Anery; Candy, Albino het Anery)

1.0 Crested Gecko (Harley, Choco/Cream)
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Thu May 05, 2011 6:45 pm

First difference look at the front legs the indo has solid black and the meruake has speckles.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Thu May 05, 2011 6:46 pm

Second the meruakes head is rather clean while the indo has alot of speckling on it.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Thu May 05, 2011 6:48 pm

THe meruake has thicker banding than the indo.
Note: it is hard to find differences because you have a newer meruake.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
SapphireTigress1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:58 pm
Country:
Location: Tacoma, Washington USA

Postby SapphireTigress1 » Thu May 05, 2011 7:03 pm

thanks! A lot of these are very subtle, and i just had no clue what i was looking for. Hopefully when i get a chance to pick up a male, i'll know what to look for :P
iherp!

http://www.iherp.com/SapphireTigress

0.1.2 Blue Tongued Skinks (Creep, New Merauke; Baneling, I.J.; Zergling, Indo)

1.0 Ball python (Boros, Wild type)

2.1 Kenyan Sand Boas (Trickr, Anery het Paradox; Cotton, Albino het Anery; Candy, Albino het Anery)

1.0 Crested Gecko (Harley, Choco/Cream)
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Thu May 05, 2011 8:58 pm

This is my personal checklist for Indo/Merauke/IJ.

A very pure Indo should have:
- Inky-black front legs
- Dark spider-web outlining on the top of the head
- The bands should be thin and undefined and one-color
- The body should be long and skinny
- The back and tail should appear very mottled
- Colors of silver/yellow/brown with black bands/speckles
Current Indos for Sale:
http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php? ... &de=822788
http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php? ... &de=853473
http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php? ... &de=844857

A very classic Merauke should have:
- Black front legs with white speckles
- Little-to-no outlining on the top of the head
- One stripe down back of neck
- The bands should be thin and defined and one/two colors
- The body should be long and skinny
- The back and tail should be clear between bands
- Colors of silver/tan with brown/black bands
Current Meraukes for sale:
http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php? ... &de=853224
http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php? ... &de=820515

A very classic IJ should have:
- Clear or speckled front legs
- Little-to-no outlining on the top of the head
- Three stripes/trident down back of neck
- The bands should be thick and defined and two colors
- The body should be shorter and fatter
- The back and tail should be clear between bands
- Colors of all kinds of yellows/browns/reds
Current IJs for sale:
http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php? ... &de=837537
http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php? ... &de=844623

So that's my definition of the classic forms of Indo/Merauke/IJ. Going by this, I believe Zergling is pure Indo, while Creep falls between Merauke/IJ but closer to Merauke.

The thing that complications IDing is there are two more recent looks to these types of skinks. There's what we've been calling the New Merauke (Creep falls into this), and there's the Halmahera Indo.

The New Merauke is a Merauke that seems to have more IJ traits. Basically they're a bit more colorful and the bands are thicker than on a the older Classic Meraukes that used to be found. This type is somewhat confusing for me, but there are some stunning example that people on this forum own. I would say Creep falls into this group.
These would probably fall into the New-Merauke group too, but I admit I get confused IDing them:
http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php? ... &de=851128
http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php? ... &de=838750

The Halmahera Indos are quite new, and are pretty easy to distinguish from Classic Indos. They've got dark 'warpaint' marking on their faces, the bands are very thick and dark, and they're not very mottled. I don't have any photos of ones currently for sale, but do a forum search on Halmahera and you'll see some.
User avatar
SapphireTigress1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:58 pm
Country:
Location: Tacoma, Washington USA

Postby SapphireTigress1 » Thu May 05, 2011 9:14 pm

Thanks so much Fatal_S! that was very informative, and I feel like i've learned a lot!
iherp!

http://www.iherp.com/SapphireTigress

0.1.2 Blue Tongued Skinks (Creep, New Merauke; Baneling, I.J.; Zergling, Indo)

1.0 Ball python (Boros, Wild type)

2.1 Kenyan Sand Boas (Trickr, Anery het Paradox; Cotton, Albino het Anery; Candy, Albino het Anery)

1.0 Crested Gecko (Harley, Choco/Cream)
User avatar
Zach
Grand Cicada
Grand Cicada
Posts: 7550
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:38 pm
Country:
Location: Orygun
Contact:

Postby Zach » Sat May 07, 2011 2:35 pm

Excellent post, Mel!!

One of my fav pics of a baby from the hal region...

TapaidhNaomh's baby:
Image

+ 2.2 Irian Jaya (Slurpy, Nona, Sassy, Cool Moe Dee)
+ 1.1 Eastern (Eugene, Enzo)
+ 1.2 Northern (Niko, Pearl, Peach)
+ 1.0 Tanimbar Island (TQ)
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Sat May 07, 2011 3:32 pm

Great post Mel - can I add that info to the Newbies thread? That is excellent information!! I'll credit you with the brilliance of course. :wink:
User avatar
SapphireTigress1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:58 pm
Country:
Location: Tacoma, Washington USA

Postby SapphireTigress1 » Sat May 07, 2011 5:07 pm

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEK! THe baby is soooo cute!!!!!!
*ahem*
I mean, very nice example :)
iherp!

http://www.iherp.com/SapphireTigress

0.1.2 Blue Tongued Skinks (Creep, New Merauke; Baneling, I.J.; Zergling, Indo)

1.0 Ball python (Boros, Wild type)

2.1 Kenyan Sand Boas (Trickr, Anery het Paradox; Cotton, Albino het Anery; Candy, Albino het Anery)

1.0 Crested Gecko (Harley, Choco/Cream)
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Sat May 07, 2011 5:14 pm

Kat, you can use anything I post for whatever reason you'd like. I obviously don't guarantee I'm right about anything though :3
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Sat May 07, 2011 8:14 pm

Fatal_S wrote:Kat, you can use anything I post for whatever reason you'd like. I obviously don't guarantee I'm right about anything though :3


:lol:

Thanks Mel! :D
User avatar
Zach
Grand Cicada
Grand Cicada
Posts: 7550
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:38 pm
Country:
Location: Orygun
Contact:

Postby Zach » Sun May 08, 2011 12:28 pm

:lol:

+ 2.2 Irian Jaya (Slurpy, Nona, Sassy, Cool Moe Dee)
+ 1.1 Eastern (Eugene, Enzo)
+ 1.2 Northern (Niko, Pearl, Peach)
+ 1.0 Tanimbar Island (TQ)
User avatar
Krista
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 11:37 am
Country:
Location: Canada

Postby Krista » Mon May 09, 2011 12:49 pm

I think Zergling is an Indo for sure. The mottled banding and the reduced head pattern look similar to mine:
Image
0.0.1 Indo - Ishtar
0.1 Ball Python - Anubis
1.1 Corn Snakes - Kryos + Sati
0.1 IJ Carpet Python - Ammit
1.0 Jaguar Carpet Python - Osiris
User avatar
SapphireTigress1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:58 pm
Country:
Location: Tacoma, Washington USA

Postby SapphireTigress1 » Mon May 09, 2011 1:53 pm

O.O how did you sneak in my house and take pics of zergling!?

Jk, I agree. I definitely think Zerg is an Indo, "she" looks just like yours ;)
I'm spamming my bf's brain with all the crazy things I'm learning about blueys on this forum, and hes like "AHHHHH!!"

>D
iherp!

http://www.iherp.com/SapphireTigress

0.1.2 Blue Tongued Skinks (Creep, New Merauke; Baneling, I.J.; Zergling, Indo)

1.0 Ball python (Boros, Wild type)

2.1 Kenyan Sand Boas (Trickr, Anery het Paradox; Cotton, Albino het Anery; Candy, Albino het Anery)

1.0 Crested Gecko (Harley, Choco/Cream)
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Mon May 09, 2011 2:13 pm

Spamming the brain is how I eventually broke my parents down and got them to let me get BTS :D Only took 3 years.
User avatar
SapphireTigress1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:58 pm
Country:
Location: Tacoma, Washington USA

Postby SapphireTigress1 » Mon May 09, 2011 2:17 pm

nice! I literally stay at home, all day e'ry day....so I get to learn crazy amounts of random facts about reptiles, so he gets swamped when he gets home :)
iherp!

http://www.iherp.com/SapphireTigress

0.1.2 Blue Tongued Skinks (Creep, New Merauke; Baneling, I.J.; Zergling, Indo)

1.0 Ball python (Boros, Wild type)

2.1 Kenyan Sand Boas (Trickr, Anery het Paradox; Cotton, Albino het Anery; Candy, Albino het Anery)

1.0 Crested Gecko (Harley, Choco/Cream)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 292 guests