Eating and pregnancy

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
dsteamn
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 654
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:48 pm
Country:
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia

Eating and pregnancy

Postby dsteamn » Sun May 01, 2011 5:08 pm

Oscar Rose is still not eating very much. She hasn't ever really gotten her apetite back since she came out of brumation. I'm a bit worried for her and the babies. She will take a bite here and there but nothing of any substantial value. Sometimes I can get her to eat a half dozen super worms in a shot or a teaspoon size ball of hamburger with a little kale and fruit mixed in, but that's about it. She's staying on the warm side of the tank 24/7 - I'm assuming because of the babies. I keep that end about 110 in the day time and down to about 90 @ night. The other side goes all the way down to 75 in the day time and about 72 @ night but she hasn't slept there in weeks now. She rarely even goes down to the other end of the tank except to take a stroll here and there. I put food in for her every couple of days but she usually just turns her nose up at it and looks the other way.

Any suggestions?
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Postby Jeff » Sun May 01, 2011 5:41 pm

There is not really anything you can do. I have found that different females handle pregnancy differently. I give my gravid females basking temperatures of 100-104 depending on species. They don't need anything higher than that. If she is constantly at 110f, she will probably have a short gestation period.

As long as she eats something once in awhile, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Most of mine don't eat much of anything for a month after mating, then it's all over the board after that. Some eat, some don't. Just offer food once or twice a week. They are smart enough to know when they need to eat.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
dsteamn
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 654
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:48 pm
Country:
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia

Postby dsteamn » Sun May 01, 2011 10:00 pm

Thanks Jeff. I appreciate the input. I will lower her temp down a bit.
User avatar
Lauriek
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1918
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:51 am
Country:
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Postby Lauriek » Sun May 01, 2011 10:53 pm

Barnum didn't seem to be that interested in food when she was pregnant. As Jeff has said, different females have different appetites. Barnum NOW eats as if it's going out of style. I have to feed her first before Bailey or the bubs. She will try and climb out of her cage to get food.
Laurie & A Band O' Blotchies - Bliss (RIP). Barnum the Old Blotchie. Binti, the rescued Blotchie. The Shingles - Solomon & Sheba (Miss Houdini)

Be humble, because you are made of the Earth. Be noble, because you are made of the Stars. - Serbian proverb.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 117 guests