Does your Bluey "snuffle" when pleased?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
blueyophile
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Does your Bluey "snuffle" when pleased?

Postby blueyophile » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:43 pm

Our Bluey makes three distinct sounds: The warning hiss when annoyed, the "huff" when less annoyed but perhaps has been disturbed too early in the morning (perhaps it's a half-hearted hiss), and then there's the "snuffle" which unambiguously expresses pleasure (e.g., when he's been picked up after wanting to get out of cage, when he's being patted and cuddled (and he's in the mood for affection), or when he's in an exploring mood and he finds himself in some interesting new situation.

We've never come across a description of this third sound before; anyone else have Blueys that "snuffle" when pleased?

-Mark & Julia
SailleSkinklover
Bluey Fanatic
Bluey Fanatic

Postby SailleSkinklover » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:02 pm

Yes!!!!!!! Chuffie does that too, its almost like excited panting, only through the snout, mouth closed, yes?
1.0. Merauke, Chuff Chuff
0.1.1 Irian Jayas, Nubbin, Marley
0.0.1 Northern, Hobbes
3.1.0.1 White Lined Geckos,CrazyHorse, Dad, Itchy, little female
7.10.17 Crested Geckos, HELP!
0.1.0 Leachie, Francis
1.2.0 Gargoyles, Everton, Ant, Juicebox
1.1.2 African Fat Tails, Burger Butt, Galaxy,t he kids
1.1.0.2 Tokays, Niles, Lillith
NomadOfTheHills
The Scout
The Scout

Postby NomadOfTheHills » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:43 pm

I would imagine that noise is not due to pleasure, more of a variation on annoyance.
blueyophile
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby blueyophile » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:05 pm

SailleSkinklover wrote:Yes!!!!!!! Chuffie does that too, its almost like excited panting, only through the snout, mouth closed, yes?

Mouth is closed, yes. Sounds almost like the beginning of a sneeze, perhaps.

A snuffling sound due to a short series of moderately sharp exhalations through the nose -- maybe two or three "snuffles".
Last edited by blueyophile on Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
blueyophile
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby blueyophile » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:09 pm

NomadOfTheHills wrote:I would imagine that noise is not due to pleasure, more of a variation on annoyance.

No -- it's quite unmistakably a response to pleasure.

It sounds like not all Blueys make this sound when especially pleased, then?
blueyophile
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby blueyophile » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:05 am

Found this in the "caresheet" article written by Zach:

Can BTS make noise?
Aside from quiet grunting and/or funny little squeeks, BTS are completely silent. If your BTS begins struggling while you have a firm grip, once in a while he'll let out little squeeks or grunts almost like a person would while trying to reach something far away. My male Merauke (Sunny) grunts pretty loudly while being held, but I haven't heard it from any of my others. A lot of times the grunts almost sound like a whimper.

Well, I have to say this doesn't describe my BTS at all. I've never heard the struggling grunts when held in a tight grip (probably because our BTS doesn't struggle when held -- he's quite calm when held and actually quite likes being carried about.) The closest he come to struggling when held is when he might squirm when he's being returned to his enclosure when he'd rather be out and about!

But, as I mention above, the "hiss", the "huff" and the "snuffle" are three quite distinct sounds that our Bluey will make depending on the situation (and relevant attitude and mood of the BTS at the time, of course!)
PsyKoViggy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby PsyKoViggy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:26 am

Have to say, i don't think i'v heard mine snuffle.. he squeeks though.. what does that mean? heh
Blotch
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Blotch » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:29 pm

you should video your bluey making this noise so we can all experience it.
~|=|>-

"you want what!? where!?"

2.1.0 T.S. Intermedia (Kimberleys)
1.0 T.S. Intermedia (N.T.)
6.0.3 T. Nigrolutea (VIC Lowlands)
3.1.11 T. Scincoides (VIC & NSW)
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight

Postby Fatal_S » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:52 pm

Pryce does the balloon noise sometimes ^.^ Haven't heard a snuffle yet, but I'll listen. Mostly I hear a lot of huffing. Grumpy skinks.
Melanie J. Pratt
www.MelsExotics.ca
Currently living at Mel's Exotics:
BTS: Northerns, Caramel Northerns, Meraukes, Irian Jayas, Silver Tanimbars, Yellow Tanimbars
AFTs: Wild-Type, Striped, Amelanistic, Caramel Albino, Patternless, White Out
California Kingsnake
Dumeril Boa
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman

Postby Bird_Brain » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:00 pm

Sounds more like a half-hearted huff to me by your description. Like blotch said, record it because from what you are saying, I would just call it a huff.
Brad
blueyophile
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby blueyophile » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:29 pm

ReptileKing wrote:Sounds more like a half-hearted huff to me by your description. Like blotch said, record it because from what you are saying, I would just call it a huff.

It's quite distinctively different, but more importantly, the giveaway is the context in which he makes the "snuffle" rather than the "huff".

The huff will be the result of something _you're_ doing to _him_, like waking him up in the morning when he doesn't want to be disturbed.

The snuffle might be he's just climbed on to your shoulder from the back of the sofa, and is giving you a nuzzle and a friendly greeting. Or he's been just let out his enclosure after he's been begging to get out for a while. That is, it's in typically in response to something _he_ has initiated, and it usually after he's made it obvious it's an object of his intention.

Different noises, different contexts.

Recording the noise might be tricky. The sound is quite soft, so I'm not sure what I'd use for recording equipment, and it's not the sort of thing you can easily arrange on cue (as is true with just about all animal bahaviour...)

It's interesting that more people haven't observed this, though. As I said, I hadn't seen this sound described, so I was curious if it was universal. Perhaps not... perhaps it's not even common...
Last edited by blueyophile on Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SailleSkinklover
Bluey Fanatic
Bluey Fanatic

Postby SailleSkinklover » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:36 pm

Mine does it when he eats something he loves as well. . . like mango, or hard boiled egg.
1.0. Merauke, Chuff Chuff

0.1.1 Irian Jayas, Nubbin, Marley

0.0.1 Northern, Hobbes

3.1.0.1 White Lined Geckos,CrazyHorse, Dad, Itchy, little female

7.10.17 Crested Geckos, HELP!

0.1.0 Leachie, Francis

1.2.0 Gargoyles, Everton, Ant, Juicebox

1.1.2 African Fat Tails, Burger Butt, Galaxy,t he kids

1.1.0.2 Tokays, Niles, Lillith
rachel
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby rachel » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:05 am

yes! jak does this! would be interesting to hear what it is...
garry however, doesnt ??
"In the end we will conserve only what we love, love only what we understand and understand only what we are taught" -Baba Dioum
Chase
Suave Sage
Suave Sage

Postby Chase » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:27 pm

NomadOfTheHills wrote:I would imagine that noise is not due to pleasure, more of a variation on annoyance.

I came into this thread with the intention of stating that, but nomad beat me to it. I hate to say it, but I do not think anyone's bluey enjoys being picked up. It is 100% unnatural for them.
shingleback aus
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby shingleback aus » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:35 pm

my tommy dose this but him only :D
true blue ;)
rachel
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby rachel » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:56 am

I do not think anyone's bluey enjoys being picked up. It is 100% unnatural for them.

I'd have to say i agreed when i bought my bluey however, if i sit on the floor and let mine wander, he'll come over and climb up onto my shoulder or into my lap. and he scratches on the front of his viv to come out...
who knows? only the blueys... :roll:

besides, cable tv and chocolate aren't naural :lol:
"In the end we will conserve only what we love, love only what we understand and understand only what we are taught" -Baba Dioum
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight

Postby Fatal_S » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:34 pm

Guys, while I agree you can't attribute human emotions to BTS, that doesn't mean they can't enjoy things. This noise sounds like they're making it because they're pleased.

Really, if you're BTS eats banana instead of kale, are you going to say it only does that because it hates the banana less??

No, a BTS is not going to love you. However that doesn't mean it can't enjoy being around you. After all, you provide heat, food and something to do.

Pryce likes coming out if he crawls onto me, but dislikes being picked up. They can like things. I've never heard this noise, but it seems to me like it's a sound of pleasure or satisfaction.
Melanie J. Pratt
www.MelsExotics.ca
Currently living at Mel's Exotics:
BTS: Northerns, Caramel Northerns, Meraukes, Irian Jayas, Silver Tanimbars, Yellow Tanimbars
AFTs: Wild-Type, Striped, Amelanistic, Caramel Albino, Patternless, White Out
California Kingsnake
Dumeril Boa
Blotch
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Blotch » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:39 pm

I agree Fatal - and i love the "hates banana less" comment!

Unless you can talk or understand Bluey - your guesses are as good as anyones. Well that's what i reckon anyway.
~|=|>-

"you want what!? where!?"

2.1.0 T.S. Intermedia (Kimberleys)
1.0 T.S. Intermedia (N.T.)
6.0.3 T. Nigrolutea (VIC Lowlands)
3.1.11 T. Scincoides (VIC & NSW)
Tattoo
BT Beldam
BT Beldam

Postby Tattoo » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:14 am

Hey Blueyophile ... my bluey has different noises for alarm and contentment ... I hear what you're saying. :wink:
The Crone ∞

1.0 Northern BTS - Tattoo
0.1 Indonesian BTS - Annubis
0.0.1 Silver Tanimbar - Mantic
Raven_Vivi
Mad Apothecary
Mad Apothecary

Postby Raven_Vivi » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:57 pm

A snuffle...I think I've heard Duke do it once...when I fed him a fuzzie~ >_<

I also heard him make this chirpy/squeak sound when he was in distress. He was in the bath and wanted out so he made the sound.

Maybe I was hallucinating but it was a chirpy/squeak ^^
I am the crazy lady~ ^_^

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. ~Andre Gide

Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sought. ~Matsuo Basho

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”