Feeding in cage vs out of cage?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
kelly_kodiak
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Feeding in cage vs out of cage?

Postby kelly_kodiak » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:43 am

Hey everyone posted a question for you all. Who feeds in cage and who feeds out of cage? Why for both choices, and if you feed out of cage where do you feed? I'm just curious b/c someone told me the other day that they fed out of cage so I decided to check out the topic.
Kelly
Jenn
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby Jenn » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:06 am

As mentioned in the other thread, I put my food dishes on a 12 in square ceramic tile. This keeps the substrate out of the food. Live food is fed outside of the cage because the aspen can really stick to some of the worms feet and my guys like to drag them around before eating them. I feed these in the playpen.
1.0 Northerns Christopher

:blueyprint:
zakkhogan
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby zakkhogan » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:28 am

Does depend of what im feeding, mainly i feed in the tank,

But other times, If its somithing i think he gonna move around with i feed him out side so he dosnt get any subtrate.. (cos he's done that before)

But like jenn said, in a big dish on a solid surface i feed ur'll be fine in side
**Craig (Zakkhogan) Bowers**

Name: Angus Specie: IJ Length 19 inches Weight 520 - 524 Grams Gender: Male Age: 2 (approx)

Name: Dorothy Specie: IJ Gender: Female Weight 239 Age:1 (approx)

............................"Nothing is Impossible" - Christopher Reeve
mom22wins
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby mom22wins » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:27 am

I feed in the cage because she isn't interested out of the cage. There's too much else to check out, I guess! 8)
Hockeyrulz48
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby Hockeyrulz48 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:25 am

I usually feed inside the cage, although if it is warm out I will feed outside.
The Londoner
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby The Londoner » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:46 am

I have been getting Ocho out to feed him because he gets so messy and drops it on the substrate and then trys to eat that as well and besides I think he enjoys coming out to eat and I love to watch him it's so cute the way he wipes his little face on the kitchen paper. Sue
Every day's a new day blessed be!

The Londoner
Tattoo
BT Beldam
BT Beldam

Postby Tattoo » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:49 am

All skinks are different. I would try both and see which makes your critter happy. :D
The Crone ∞

1.0 Northern BTS - Tattoo
0.1 Indonesian BTS - Annubis
0.0.1 Silver Tanimbar - Mantic
yankeefan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby yankeefan » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:13 am

Its a bad pic, but Peyton is eating on my hubby's lap - she usually is less distracted in the tank, but I do try out of the tank also.
Stefanie
The Yankees winnnnnn...........
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peyton (Northern)
Bella (IJ)
Dakota (Northern)
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics

Postby Fatal_S » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:38 am

Most of the time I'll feed out of the tank. This works best for Wocket and Pryce, as Trikks is too scared to eat -.-' He just tries to escape. When my guys were little I'd feed them inside a tupperware, but now that they're bigger I just put them and the food on the floor and let them go at it.

Live food I always feed out of the tank, as I don't want it to go missing inside the tank. Worms and other slow things are fed like normal, but if I have anything that can escape it gets fed in a bin or the bathtub (plugged of course).

Occasionally it's just too busy for me to wait for my skinks to wake up for food, so I just put the food in a cool area of the tank and they eat whenever they want. I found that when I do this they'll ignore the fresh food, and leave it until it starts cooking, then go at it.
SailleSkinklover
Bluey Fanatic
Bluey Fanatic

Postby SailleSkinklover » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:43 am

I do both depending on the situation!
It depends on what I'm feeding, what time, and what Chuffies' mood is. I try and feed outside for the most part because it is a fun and positive experience for him. :D
I let him explore first, then get the food, and he'll chomp down, then go find somewhere to chill for a while.
1.0. Merauke, Chuff Chuff
0.1.1 Irian Jayas, Nubbin, Marley
0.0.1 Northern, Hobbes
3.1.0.1 White Lined Geckos,CrazyHorse, Dad, Itchy, little female
7.10.17 Crested Geckos, HELP!
0.1.0 Leachie, Francis
1.2.0 Gargoyles, Everton, Ant, Juicebox
1.1.2 African Fat Tails, Burger Butt, Galaxy,t he kids
1.1.0.2 Tokays, Niles, Lillith
Leigh
Leigh of the Law
Leigh of the Law

Postby Leigh » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:50 pm

Mine goes in the tank, lights still ou,as I leave for work usually,t
MMMmmmmm... Something???????
Raven_Vivi
Mad Apothecary
Mad Apothecary

Postby Raven_Vivi » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:27 pm

i feed outside of the cage. ^_^
It's fun to watch!

it's bonding ifor me and Duke!
Plus, I have good reason to stare at him >_<

Less of a mess to clean up in the cage. I just put a paper towel under the bowl and let him go to town ^_^
I am the crazy lady~ ^_^

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. ~Andre Gide

Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sought. ~Matsuo Basho
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman

Postby Bird_Brain » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:38 pm

Majority of the time, I am too busy to feed 7 skinks outside of their cages. Everyone gets feed in cages and I just alternate who gets let out each day to explore and what not.
Brad
Kymbadina
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Kymbadina » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:48 pm

I feed inside the cage, Chomper was to excited last time..However! I took him outside for the first time today..after the initial freak out he settled down in my lap and let me hand feed him some blueberries. I usually set his food in his cage then to go school
shingleback aus
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby shingleback aus » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:26 am

i like feeding mine in the outdoor pit they feel more at home and eat more i find theres more room to explore and forage :D
true blue ;)
rachel
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby rachel » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:45 am

I feed mostly out of cages, good bonding time ^.^
however, sometimes im just too busy and they get fed in cages..with paper towel or a plate under the bowl ..
"In the end we will conserve only what we love, love only what we understand and understand only what we are taught" -Baba Dioum
kelly_kodiak
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby kelly_kodiak » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:47 am

Thanks to everyone for their input. I can be really smart, but I REALLY lack in common sense. All of your answers make perfect sense, and as I read them I kept thinking, "I know that, just didn't think about it, or more "Why didn't I think of that it is so simple!" :doh:

I do know one thing though, if I do feed out of the cage it would have to be in a bin. Once Azul gets out and on the floor she is gone!! She's fast. I envy the pics I see of all of the skinks outside in the grass or garden. I can't put her down outside b/c all she wants to do is run like crazy. I need to set up some type of outdoor enclosure so she can go out. The pics I have of her outside in the grass is when she was a baby. Now she's 2 1/2yrs old. Guess I need to take some new pics of her to post. :wink:

Thanks again. It's great having this site to come to for support, advice, and answers.
Kelly
reptile lover
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Feeding in cage vs out of cage?

Postby reptile lover » Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:05 pm

I feed my 2 year old BTS in his cage. He refuses to eat out of his cage. I've heard some people say that that's bad, but I don't know. Because he absolutely refuses to eat outside of his cage.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”