Rescued Blue Tongue after Butcher Bird Attack!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Uly
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:15 pm
Country:
Location: Australia

Re: Rescued Blue Tongue after Butcher Bird Attack!

Postby Uly » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:06 am

Thanks Richard....Your post makes sense! I'm just throwing ideas out there! Trying to do the best that any compassionate person would do!

Well I'll just let nature take it's course now... as sad as it is!

Cheers

Uly
User avatar
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
Country:
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Rescued Blue Tongue after Butcher Bird Attack!

Postby Lea » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:46 am

Uly wrote:Wow every post you make is on the negative side even if what your saying in your posts are true.

With that theory we should should stop saving stranded dolphins, Let poachers kill endangered wildlife.

Why have wild life rescue if it's sad and just Nature??

So I'll just let them be ripped apart by the butcher bird and do nothing!

I'm sorry but I strongly disagree with you!

You also need how to learn how to articulate they way you post your info in your posts even when what your saying is correct.

Uly


Poachers aren't natural ... :wink:

Sorry if I sound negative to you or my posts are disarticulate in some way. I think I have been very clear in giving you appropriate and helpful advice, particularly about how you could contact authorities to assist you for a positive outcome, even though you didn't seem so keen on handing your blue tongue to someone else. I am just being realistic and trying, without being too pessimistic, to make you see the down side of things, so you aren't let down too much if things do take a turn for the worst. Maybe just helping you prepare for the worst, so if it does happen, you won't feel so devastated ... trying to be a clear head for you, when you are so full of emotion.

And, no, I think we should always try to help, if we have the information and resources to do so. Yes, we should save stranded whales, lost kittens, attacked and injured wildlife, if we think doing so is for the good of the animal, not the "feel good" of the person doing it.
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
Uly
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:15 pm
Country:
Location: Australia

Re: Rescued Blue Tongue after Butcher Bird Attack!

Postby Uly » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:15 am

Poachers aren't natural ...

This is an example of what I mean...Was this really necessary?

My Point is... it's not what you are saying... but how you are saying it. Have a good read from an egoless point of view at Richards last post? It is clear and to the point and neutral without the "I know more than you and making me feel less valued because this is all new to me".I can tell that you know a lot, have lots of experience and you are intelligent...you just need to find a way to express that with out making the other person feel less valued.

I know the downside of life....I cared for my mother for 7 years while she was sick...I did everything on earth possible for her. She passed away and I was devastated but I got on with my life. I am not a child and know how life is. If the Lizard at the vet dies...sure I'll be upset for a couple of hours but i'll get over it.I maybe full of emotion but I know what I am doing!

not the "feel good" of the person doing it

You have judged me right there! You have assumed right from the 1st post that I was doing this to Glorify myself and make me feel better. This is nowhere near the truth and once you get to know me properly you will see this judgement is wrong.

You can talk to me about anything...this is not a personal attack on you...I could feel something was wrong from the 1st post of yours.

I'm an easy guy to talk to...I think this is an issue that is not hard to sort out.

Uly
User avatar
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
Country:
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Rescued Blue Tongue after Butcher Bird Attack!

Postby Lea » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:06 am

I was being lighthearted, hence the wink! Goodness, you seem to have a dislike for me .. well, I still adhere to my words and firmly believe that we should always do what is best for the animal, although this was, as others have also done, meant as a general comment. I didn't say that you, personally, should think about why you are doing it, it was thinking about saving whales and really what we can accomplish when we really don't know what we are doing by returning a beached whale to the ocean. We don't know why they do it to begin with, not really.

From my first post, giving you details about your local numbers, asking you to PM me for more help contacting someone if you have no luck- I see that as supportive, not an egotistical person trying to attack you for knowing less than I do.

Well, apologies for any misinterpretations you had of my good intentions, I guess. I have not meant to attack you, just say it how it is. I just do not believe that sugarcoating a situation or pussyfooting around a possibly negative, yet important point, will do anyone any good, that's all.

Sorry, I'm here to give the best advice I know, in the best ways I know how. I'm not here to befriend people, so my posts may seem blunt and to the point, at times, but you can take it or leave it, it is certainly not personal.
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Rescued Blue Tongue after Butcher Bird Attack!

Postby Richard.C » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:52 am

Uly idealy they would all live long healthy lives,but unfortunatly they are prey to alot of animals,just like the butcher bird,its not evil,being nasty,its doing what comes naturally,be it protecting nesting area,or what ever

It may sound negative,but sad reality is that it is mother nature,if u relocate them more replace them and cycle continues,survival of the fittest,and its true,you cant save them all,its great to lend a helping hand if they need it,but you shoukd leave them be until thats actually needed,yiu said they had been there for years,bird and lizards,so might just be a weird thing happening now,that will stop by itself,i dont think every blueys at risk for ever there now,2nd one seems to be handling it better
Uly
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:15 pm
Country:
Location: Australia

Re: Rescued Blue Tongue after Butcher Bird Attack!

Postby Uly » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:58 pm

Poachers aren't natural ... I was being lighthearted, hence the wink!]

Normally when people say things like that it means I got it wrong and your going to make me aware of it. Ok I'm willing to concede that the Internet sometimes makes it hard to get the correct meaning across that you were trying to convey...maybe that was one of these situations??

Goodness, you seem to have a dislike for me

I don't hate or have a dislike for you. I just wasn't happy with the tone of our posts...nothing personal. I don't hold grudges and from my point of view we are all good :-)

I didn't say that you, personally,

Maybe indicating in your post that it's not about the person but a general comment could make it easier to understand where your coming from in your posts. The net can be hard to get your proper message across sometimes.

possibly negative, yet important point, will do anyone any good, that's all.

Why does it have to be negative? Why can it be neutral until we know for sure what's happening. We don't know that the lizard at the vet is blind for sure yet...so the situation is neither positive or negative. Thinking negatively is guaranteed to set us up for more negativity.

I'm here to give the best advice I know, in the best ways I know how.

You have given great advice and it's been taken on board by me :-) Thank you.

I'm not here to befriend people, so my posts may seem blunt and to the point, at times, but you can take it or leave it, it is certainly not personal.

I don't mind Blunt and to the point. If your not thinking about others then it's bound to be taken at some point the wrong way.

Ok guys as for doing the best thing for the Bluey that's in my yard now... you will have noticed that I haven't rushed in and grabbed this guy and put him in my tank upstairs and tried to make it my next pet. All I did yesterday was keep the bird away from him to give him a fighting chance. There is an unfair advantage to the butcher bird compared to the defences of the Bluey. I also guided him back to his home under the gas cylinders when I saw the cut on his face so he could have some rest away from the bird. He will survive the cut on his face. If the the bird gets his eyes today or in the future I will take him to the vet.

As for relocating the Bluey idea that I was throwing out there...I can now see that it's a bad idea. I'll just see how today plays out.

As for the butcher bird it doesn't live in my tree and I can't see any nests in my trees. This particular bird is well feed as I have been watching it for a while. Sometimes Butcher Birds just like to play with lizards and doesn't want to eat it. It may kill the bluey and then just leave it. If the bird was starving and needed food then that would be different.

The reason I know when the Bird is attacking is it makes this extremely loud sound that is unusual. I'm not patrolling my yard waiting for the bird to attack the lizard.So that's when I go outside to see what's happening when I hear that sound from the bird. Unfortunately yesterday it was happening every 10 mins.

Yep hope it's just something weird happening at the moment...I have noticed all the birds fighting each other at the moment too!

Yeah Richard your right the 2nd bluey is much better at hiding than the other one that was in the open in my yard.

I will be ringing the vet this morning to see how the other one is...will let you guys know what the vet says.

Uly
User avatar
Vegasarah
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:15 pm
Country:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States

Re: Rescued Blue Tongue after Butcher Bird Attack!

Postby Vegasarah » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:12 pm

Uly, just count yourself luckily MonitorLizard hasn't sprung up yet... He's made me very upset on quite a few occasions! LeaBilby is just very 'manner of fact', and I am sure is not trying to make you upset! I think Lea is trying to play devil's advocate for nature vs. nurture, which you should try and respect even if you don't agree :)

I know it's hard to 'let nature work its course' when you have an attachment to the animal being injured. My main question to all the Aussies out there that probably know better than me is this: Is the butcher bird attacking because it's hunting or because it sees the bluey as a threat? I would think that a full grown Eastern would be too large to be seen as prey to a butcher bird. Maybe it's trying to protect it's nest? Maybe it sees it like a snake who could climb up a tree and get it's babies or eggs.

For example I know magpies are usually very friendly animals, I had a whole bunch of them that lived in my yard when I lived in AUS. The new babies would even take fod from my hand! But god forbid they build a nest your yard, you'll be swooped at for weeks on end! I'm sure if I stood still those buggers might have a go at my eyes as well, even if it's not trying to 'eat' me.

I think the best thing you can do it try and build up some safe places for the other possible blueys to hide. Could be as simple as a piece of plywood up a few inches from the ground. Or you could try just trying to scare the bird off even if it is just sitting on the fence. Would a butcher bird respond to one of those fake plastic owls? If so, try putting one of those up on the fence where it usually sits, maybe it will be too scared to go close!

I'm so sorry that this is happened to you, I can't imagine the stress of worrying about your bluey friends.
Uly
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:15 pm
Country:
Location: Australia

Re: Rescued Blue Tongue after Butcher Bird Attack!

Postby Uly » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:35 pm

Wow a Monitor Lizard...that would freak me out! I Definitely respect Lea's comment... in fact I've learn quite a bit from her comments. I thinks it's good we can have a conversation that we may or may not agree on but still keep it respectable :-) It's all good :-) Just like Lea I will speak my mind and do what I think is right.

That's a good idea building some hidey spots.

I'm so sorry that this is happened to you, I can't imagine the stress of worrying about your bluey friends.

It's all good and it has been a great learning experience for me.I was much happier when I got the 1st Bluey to the exotic vet! and that the 2nd one is good at hiding lol :-)

Rang the Vet just before....The Buey is alive and is starting to open up one eye. I don't know which eye. He is on Antibiotics and is drinking water by himself but not eating by himself. The vet wants to keep him in over the weekend and said I can call again on Monday. So that sounds good :-) lets hope for a full recovery and a possible release back in to my yard :-)

I haven't seen the butcher bird at all today but can hear him off in the distance. The 2nd blue tongue in hiding in the grass near the gas tanks and is very well camouflaged. when I walked past him he ducked back under the tanks. He seems much more alert to danger.

Uly
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Re: Rescued Blue Tongue after Butcher Bird Attack!

Postby El Lobo » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:56 pm

I would think the Butcher bird is nesting close by and that is what is promoting the aggressive behaviour. As I said before we don't have them around here but we do have Magpies who behave similarly when they are nesting. The Indian Mynahs are just an introduced species that seem to dislike everything, even each other.

It's always good to know your enemy so a link for Butcher birds and their behaviour.

http://www.wildlifeqld.com.au/Butcher_Birds.html

For anyone unaware of the aggressiveness of these birds, a video of two attacking a python.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=800Ex-SpY50
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
Uly
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:15 pm
Country:
Location: Australia

Re: Rescued Blue Tongue after Butcher Bird Attack!

Postby Uly » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:18 pm

The Indian Mynahs are just an introduced species that seem to dislike everything, even each other.

LOL that's so true!

Thanks for the link. I was going to do some research soon in to Butcher Birds so that link was handy.

That was an incredible video... kinda felt sorry for the Python getting tag teamed there. Hope the owners of the house called in a snake handler to remove the snake.

Uly
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Rescued Blue Tongue after Butcher Bird Attack!

Postby Richard.C » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:21 am

Another clue that it could be nesting is theres only one of them,the other sits on nest whilst its out gathering food

Uly normally blueys are pretty observent to possable avian threats,but can be caught out in the open,its probably warm enough for wild easterns to be looking for mates up there,as weather is alot better than down here,if that is the case wandering is common,especially by males,we get heaps of wild ones here,they move around a fair bit,especially males,so theres times u dont see them for months,even the ones that stick around move to different shelter areas through out the year

Good news about the patient,hopefully it gets to come back soon and still has sight,the bird could be nesting a distance away from your property,but property area could be deemed a good food area,hence commonly seen there

We have a colony of whistling kytes that nest in pine trees down the back,right near there is where the easterns seem to live,but they seem pretty safe as some have been there over ten years,there pretty alert,normally bugger off at the sight of anything near by,they bask right in front of there cover,piles of rock and wood,probably get alot of food ect with out needing to expose them selves to
User avatar
Vegasarah
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:15 pm
Country:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States

Re: Rescued Blue Tongue after Butcher Bird Attack!

Postby Vegasarah » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:56 pm

[quote=Rang the Vet just before....The Buey is alive and is starting to open up one eye. I don't know which eye. He is on Antibiotics and is drinking water by himself but not eating by himself. The vet wants to keep him in over the weekend and said I can call again on Monday. So that sounds good :-) lets hope for a full recovery and a possible release back in to my yard :-)[/quote]

So glad to hear he's doing better. Looks like he still had the will to live, so hopefully he will pull through and get healed and healthy soon!
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Rescued Blue Tongue after Butcher Bird Attack!

Postby Richard.C » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:25 pm

They are tough buggers,amazingly they heal them selves from horrific injuries,we have a couple of old warhorses calling out yard home with healed up scarring all over,most probably from dog attacks,even seen fresh injured ones with innards visable,and left them be and low and behold they survived the ordeal,as long as they can still function they look after them selves well,hopefully he/she still has its vision,if so it should be fine once healed up
User avatar
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Country:
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Contact:

Re: Rescued Blue Tongue after Butcher Bird Attack!

Postby Rani-May » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:44 pm

I agree Richard, very tough. I took in a bluey once that had been staked with a gardening fork in a strawberry patch. Was still as active and happy as could be. ended up being the sweetest little blue tongue skink I ever owned. She acted as if it never even happened the day after I found her.
Uly
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:15 pm
Country:
Location: Australia

Re: Rescued Blue Tongue after Butcher Bird Attack!

Postby Uly » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:43 pm

I rang the vet again today and the Nurse lady said that the Bluey is now eating & drinking by himself. He has both eyes partially open and they are putting some type of ointment in his eyes. She thinks that one eye may be damaged and other could be ok? They asked me to ring again on Friday to see how he's going and see what they want to do with him then.

Well I'm getting happier each time I ring the Vet :-) looks like he is making progress. She said he was even running around the enclosed and sitting on top of his box :-)

Can a bluey survive in the wild with only one eye, find food and be aware of bird attacks?

I now hoping for a full recovery!!

The 2nd Bluey seems to understand the concept of Camouflage better than the first Bluey. He has only been attacked once in the last few days when he strayed too far from home. I have had very little problems with the butcher bird as he can't spot any Blueys in my yard. I think the Butcher Birds actions were because of Nesting in the Gum tree on the corner of my street. I saw the Butcher Bird attack a small dog and it's never done that before. I think it was the right thing to do to help the Bluey out and take it to the vet seen as this is probably only a defence technique by the butcher bird while nesting and the birds wasn't trying to eat the bluey. I don't think Blueys should be hurt and left to die just because of a nesting Bird.

Image

Uly
User avatar
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Country:
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Contact:

Re: Rescued Blue Tongue after Butcher Bird Attack!

Postby Rani-May » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:48 pm

so glad to hear he is doing much better
Uly
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:15 pm
Country:
Location: Australia

Re: Rescued Blue Tongue after Butcher Bird Attack!

Postby Uly » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:50 pm

Thanks Rani :-)

Uly
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Rescued Blue Tongue after Butcher Bird Attack!

Postby Richard.C » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:18 pm

Sounds promising for first bluey,yes they do ok with one eye in the wild,they adjust to it,as long as they can use there eye,its a great sign its eating and drinking by itself to

Number 2 has probably learnt a lesson and will hopefully be more wary in future,great shot to,tthey often bask under cover like that here as well
Uly
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:15 pm
Country:
Location: Australia

Re: Rescued Blue Tongue after Butcher Bird Attack!

Postby Uly » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:46 pm

Yeah I'm confident we will get a release back in to my yard for the 1st Bluey...I will have a good talk to the vet about it first tho.Thanks for the suggestion to take it to an exotic vet Richard...That was definitely the right place for him to be :-)

great shot to

Thanks I really enjoy taking photo's of animals. I have literally hundreds of photo's of the animals in my yard and in my local area. I hope to get a digital SLR in the next 12 months with a super huge Zoom so I can take better Photo's at a longer distance away.My current Camera has a half decent zoom but could be better.

The 1st Bluey at the vet was basking in the middle of my yard with no cover....easy pickings for birds I guess. This is where the 1st bluey lives under my back ramp in some old pipes we left there 25 years ago for animals to live in....

Image

Uly
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Rescued Blue Tongue after Butcher Bird Attack!

Postby Richard.C » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:58 pm

Feel free to start a thread on pics of wild blueys,no probs bout exotic vet tip,they are great,even with wild ones

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 346 guests