Post pictures of your skinks!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: Post pictures of your skinks!
Just a quick pic of Virginia the fatty. I figured what the heck, I'm gonna try and pair her this season. Her and Xaunder are hopefully damming this season, and I think I am going to let Hunter sire both of the hopeful litters.. kinda excited, I hope all goes well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
- BlueTonguesOfSA
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 223
- Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:20 pm
- Country:
- Location: San Antonio, Tx
Re: Post pictures of your skinks!
Not the best pics, he needs to shed before I post any pics of him. Here are some old ones.
This is most likely the father of Diana's high black baby.
This is most likely the father of Diana's high black baby.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Koen
Easterns, Northerns, Meraukes, Halmahera, Classic Indos
Instagram - Blue Tongues Of SA
Facebook - BTSOFSA
LIVE Bluey Webcam! - Laptop got rained on and fried, working on another.
Easterns, Northerns, Meraukes, Halmahera, Classic Indos
Instagram - Blue Tongues Of SA
Facebook - BTSOFSA
LIVE Bluey Webcam! - Laptop got rained on and fried, working on another.
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Post pictures of your skinks!
Hes a nice looking fella,koen
Good idea dakota,build wise virginia looks set up for breeding
Good idea dakota,build wise virginia looks set up for breeding
- Carnivale
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 142
- Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:03 am
- Country:
- Location: California, US
- Contact:
Re: Post pictures of your skinks!
I haven't got all my babies with me at the moment, since Diana, Koen, and Austin are all absolute sweethearts who are holding them for me until after I finish moving to California, but here's some pics they've taken of them! <3
Chai (from James Wilson)
Harvest (from Valley Reptiles/Austin)
Smaug (from Diana)
Pumpkin (from Koen/BTSofSA)
I'm hoping to still get a high red/orange baby from Jeff or Deer Fern Farms next year, and maybe someday a white or otherwise unique beauty from Ray. Then I'll pretty much be content with my collection. If I'm lucky, I'll have a mix of genders that I can possibly toe the breeding waters with in the far future. But even if not, I'll be in love with these animals forever. <3
Chai (from James Wilson)
Harvest (from Valley Reptiles/Austin)
Smaug (from Diana)
Pumpkin (from Koen/BTSofSA)
I'm hoping to still get a high red/orange baby from Jeff or Deer Fern Farms next year, and maybe someday a white or otherwise unique beauty from Ray. Then I'll pretty much be content with my collection. If I'm lucky, I'll have a mix of genders that I can possibly toe the breeding waters with in the far future. But even if not, I'll be in love with these animals forever. <3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

- Seadation
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 442
- Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:05 pm
- Country:
- Location: Miami,Fl
Re: Post pictures of your skinks!
My first two skinks Blaze and Sunshine over a year old and 21 inches long. These guys started it all for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ron Couto
http://bluetonguelizards.com
@bluetonguelizards
http://bluetonguelizards.com
@bluetonguelizards
-
Little Wise Owl
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 36
- Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:58 am
- Country:
- Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: Post pictures of your skinks!
Picked up this grumpy Indonesian yesterday. Wild caughts are so much fun. lol He's all bark and no bite though. He's been sitting at my local pet store for a long time now and I felt bad for him. They gave me a deal I couldn't refuse.
Name is Podoboo or just Boo. Unsure of age (they think 3ish years) and unsure of gender.




Name is Podoboo or just Boo. Unsure of age (they think 3ish years) and unsure of gender.




- jaylbird
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 21
- Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:21 am
- Country:
- Location: Orefield, Pa. USA
- Contact:
Re: Post pictures of your skinks!
Hello all! Just received this Merauke beauty from David at Ophidiophile Farms (http://www.ophidiophile.com).
D.O.B. - 7/15/2014
Honestly can't be happier so far. Baby is alert and curious!! My daughter and I are now on this journey together. She thinks Toka is so gorgeous that it'd be a shame to not offer her/him for breeding in the future. Maybe a PM with Diana at Pocono Blue Tongues (http://poconobluetongues.vpweb.com)? I'm not sure what a Merauke and Northern will produce for colors and banding though.
D.O.B. - 7/15/2014
Honestly can't be happier so far. Baby is alert and curious!! My daughter and I are now on this journey together. She thinks Toka is so gorgeous that it'd be a shame to not offer her/him for breeding in the future. Maybe a PM with Diana at Pocono Blue Tongues (http://poconobluetongues.vpweb.com)? I'm not sure what a Merauke and Northern will produce for colors and banding though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If Toka could speak, it would be like....
"Judge me by my size, do you?" - Master Yoda
"Judge me by my size, do you?" - Master Yoda
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: Post pictures of your skinks!
You are quite lucky to have him jaylbird, the breeder of that skink just passed not long ago.
I was just going through old photos, and I thought this photo shows the length of Tiliqua gigas tails fairly well.

...and I still didn't get all of the tail in the photo....
I was just going through old photos, and I thought this photo shows the length of Tiliqua gigas tails fairly well.

...and I still didn't get all of the tail in the photo....
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
- Carnivale
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 142
- Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:03 am
- Country:
- Location: California, US
- Contact:
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Post pictures of your skinks!
Gigas are just tails with a lil body attatched to them,lol
Makes you wonder why nature has gifted them such a large tail compared to other tiliqua,do they use it when climbing for balance?
Makes you wonder why nature has gifted them such a large tail compared to other tiliqua,do they use it when climbing for balance?
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: Post pictures of your skinks!
Not really. When they are unstable, they will swing their tails around until it catches onto something. I've always thought this to be universal, but Nae said her Zeke didn't swing his tail around like this, but that is to be accepted since they have like 3" tails. LOL. I would assume Northerns do this, but was wondering about the rest of Tiliqua species? I know with at least legless lizards, they have very long tails and a short body. Maybe this could be due to Tiliqua gigas being a bit more fossorial than other Australian counterparts, hmm..
It is funny because I find these tails to be normal sized, and when I see a Northern in person, the tail is so tubby and short, lol.
Oh, and I've also noticed they use their tails quite often when it comes to expressing their moods. Tail wiggling means intimidation, tail sticking up means nervousness/ over-exposed, but I'm sure other Tiliqua have these same behavioral traits.. right?
It is funny because I find these tails to be normal sized, and when I see a Northern in person, the tail is so tubby and short, lol.
Oh, and I've also noticed they use their tails quite often when it comes to expressing their moods. Tail wiggling means intimidation, tail sticking up means nervousness/ over-exposed, but I'm sure other Tiliqua have these same behavioral traits.. right?
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Post pictures of your skinks!
Yeah my blotchies and easterns use there rails abit when climbing on logs in cage,logs were more for water dragons and cunninghams,but suprisingly the blueys are often right up there basking on them to,northerns i see do it to but most dont have logs ect ,so obviously dont see it with all of them,but yeah whilst they do use the tail a bit to balance,there still not the most graceful when up there,lol
-
Scincus
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 93
- Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:26 am
- Country: USA
Re: Post pictures of your skinks!

Second time taking Azul outside (also, freshly shed
- DianaBlueTongue
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 656
- Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:59 am
- Country:
- Location: Rowland PA
Re: Post pictures of your skinks!
jaylbird, I do appreciate the mention of me and my skinkers
Honestly though, you wouldn't want to get a northern from me to breed with your new merauke, its kinda frowned upon to mix species of bts, but if breeding is something you'd like to shoot for when your little one is older I HIGHLY recommend getting intouch with Susan here on the forum, she's the most successful merauke breeder in the states right now and produces incredible babies.
Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
Buddha
Buddha
- jaylbird
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 21
- Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:21 am
- Country:
- Location: Orefield, Pa. USA
- Contact:
Re: Post pictures of your skinks!
Dakota wrote:You are quite lucky to have him jaylbird, the breeder of that skink just passed not long ago.
Hi Dakota. Can you clarify that statement? Not sure what you mean by Toka's breeder just passed...
If Toka could speak, it would be like....
"Judge me by my size, do you?" - Master Yoda
"Judge me by my size, do you?" - Master Yoda
- DianaBlueTongue
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 656
- Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:59 am
- Country:
- Location: Rowland PA
Re: Post pictures of your skinks!
The reeder that produced the baby you have was Bill Schwinn, it was given to David to sell. Bill was the most well known long time breeders of gigas bts and he recently passed away. A huge loss for the reptile community.
Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
Buddha
Buddha
- jaylbird
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 21
- Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:21 am
- Country:
- Location: Orefield, Pa. USA
- Contact:
Re: Post pictures of your skinks!
Wow, David just PMd me and confirmed. That sucks, but I was honestly concerned that the mention was about David himself!
If Toka could speak, it would be like....
"Judge me by my size, do you?" - Master Yoda
"Judge me by my size, do you?" - Master Yoda
- DianaBlueTongue
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 656
- Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:59 am
- Country:
- Location: Rowland PA
Re: Post pictures of your skinks!
haha, nope! No worries there, hes still alive and well
You're very lucky to have gotten one of Bills babes though, he was an amazing guy in the bts community from what I understand and will be greatly missed.
Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
Buddha
Buddha
- jaylbird
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 21
- Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:21 am
- Country:
- Location: Orefield, Pa. USA
- Contact:
Re: Post pictures of your skinks!
Krisym wrote:Second time taking Azul outside (also, freshly shed). I haven't let her out more in the past because she tries to run away, but now she has a leash, so I can finally let her explore. Of course she was pretty scared about the change in scenery (lots of new things to hear, smell, and see), but hopefully I can get her to the point where she won't be so nervous. She also slipped out a leg, but as long as I'm keeping an eye on her it should be fine.
Krisym, is that a homemade leash/harness? We are thinking of something like that for Toka, come the warmer weather again. We really want to take him outside, but he's getting a bit stronger now that his RI is on the way out. He's moving too fast in the house sometimes and we are nervous for an outside adventure!
This x-small item is available on Amazon, from T-Rex, but it is not considered very good based on its few reviews. We thought of the xsm because Toka's pretty small yet, at 65g.
http://www.amazon.com/T-Rex-Reptile-Comfort-Leash-X-Small/dp/B0002AQRH8
If Toka could speak, it would be like....
"Judge me by my size, do you?" - Master Yoda
"Judge me by my size, do you?" - Master Yoda
-
Scincus
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 93
- Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:26 am
- Country: USA
Re: Post pictures of your skinks!
jaylbird wrote:Krisym wrote:Second time taking Azul outside (also, freshly shed). I haven't let her out more in the past because she tries to run away, but now she has a leash, so I can finally let her explore. Of course she was pretty scared about the change in scenery (lots of new things to hear, smell, and see), but hopefully I can get her to the point where she won't be so nervous. She also slipped out a leg, but as long as I'm keeping an eye on her it should be fine.
Krisym, is that a homemade leash/harness? We are thinking of something like that for Toka, come the warmer weather again. We really want to take him outside, but he's getting a bit stronger now that his RI is on the way out. He's moving too fast in the house sometimes and we are nervous for an outside adventure!
This x-small item is available on Amazon, from T-Rex, but it is not considered very good based on its few reviews. We thought of the xsm because Toka's pretty small yet, at 65g.
http://www.amazon.com/T-Rex-Reptile-Comfort-Leash-X-Small/dp/B0002AQRH8
The leash I use is a small T-rex. It worked well for me, but of course any leash you get they will probably be able to slip their legs out at some point. A homemade harness that holds onto more of the body may be more effective. It really just depends on your preference and the size of your skink (the small for Azul fit him so it was snug but any smaller or larger would not work).
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 225 guests
